The scoop on 'Hosta La Vista, Baby!'

Hosta La Vista, Baby!

Richland Center, Wisconsin 53581-6364
(United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Closed A note on the Hosta La Vista, Baby! web site says it is closed and that they have retired from this business.

Company Comment, posted on June 26, 2003:

Comments:

Positive newtohosta
Clinton, OH
June 20, 2003
I ordered from Sandy for the first time this year. She answered emails promptly and seemed to really care that I got what I ordered and in good condition. My order was packaged well and I knew they would be small plants, but apparently Sandy thought they were smaller than she would have preferred, so she not only sent me my complete order, but she also sent me a small refund to compensate for the size of the plants. All seem to be doing well, so I am pleased and would probably order from her again.*S*
Positive ruby42
Cape May Court House, NJ (Zone 7a)
May 17, 2003
GREAT PLANT'S AND VERY HEALTHY!!!!! The service was FANTASTIC!!!!! I WILL BUY FROM THEM AGAIN!!!!!!
Positive amr0719
North Webster, IN (Zone 5b)
May 16, 2003
Purchased six new hostas from Sandy during the sale. Sandy's communication is excellent. Received my hostas like I was told and they look really good. This website is very good and you have to order quick during sales to get in on the best hostas because they sell out fast!!! If my new hosta's perform as well as I hope, I'll be buying from Sandy again, I'm sure.
Positive outtahand
Springdale, AR
May 13, 2003
This is a fantastic vendor, and a great lady to deal with!
Sandy was very helpful with planting instructions, etc, thru numerous emails. She let me change my order around, and it was shipped earlier, which was great, and arrived with the plants in perfect condition. Awesome root structures, some plants HUGE for the price!
This is definitely my favorite hosta vendor!
Positive lilyan
Carleton, MI (Zone 5a)
March 5, 2003
This is the best website I have ever seen!!! And I thought my gardens were extensive,His are super!
Positive jody
MD &, VA (Zone 7b)
June 19, 2002
Recieved great plants, nice size and healthy at the time I was told I would. Sandy was great to deal with, very good with communicating. Will definately order from them in the future.
Positive cindydelap
May 1, 2002
I am thrilled with the Hostas I received from Sandy! She was great in the customer service department too! I was kept updated on my order and the plants arrived looking great and very healthy. After a sour experience ordering elsewhere earlier this year, I was hesitant about ordering online again. But have no fear here! You will get great service and wonderful plants!
Positive deanncummings
July 1, 2001
I just wanted to relate an experience I recently had with Sandy Palmer and Hosta La Vista Baby! I order several hosta from her, she was very polite, helpful, friendly and immediate in returning emails! (How often does that happen?) When I received my hostas, they were in excellent condition save one being just a little limp from the heat (no fault of theirs) but I'm sure it will bounce back true to hosta form. The packaging was impeccable, large damp happy roots AND foliage! I mailed her a check as I am shy of giving my credit card info on the internet, my guess is I had my hosta before the check cleared! I would like to add that these were not small hostas at all -they were all a formidable size which I was quiet impressed with considering this was a late season sale. I have had a positive and pleasent experience with Hosta La vista, truly a first class transaction and I will and have recommended them both to my friends and family as well as hosta lovers who I communicate with via the web. Can't wait until the next sale!
Positive jenniferroy
April 1, 2001
I chose Hosta La Vista, Baby! to purchase hostas in part based on the comments on PBM-FAQ. Sandy Palmer lived up to all the great commentsand then some! I was very confused by the quantity of hosta types available and sent her a long initial e-mail explaining my planting bedand what I hoped to find in a hosta variety. She sent me a response with lots of detailed information in less than 12 hours, actually apologizing to me for the "delay" in answering! Apparently she tries to respond within 2 hours, but it was the midst of the busiest part of the season (and my e-mail had been sent in the middle of the night anyway). I narrowed down my choices and sent her another e-mail with more information about my site, and she set me straight toward some other suggestions for hosta and annual/perennial combinations that might work best. Her suggestions for several options were so good I still had a hard time deciding, but then realized that any of the suggestions she made would work well. I just got my plants today and they look great!I would still be dithering over what varieties to get if I hadn't had her patient help. As my whole yard is pretty shady, I plan to purchase more hostas from Hosta La Vista, Baby! in the future. I highly recommend this company.
Positive Sarah124
July 1, 2000
I ordered several hosta online from Hosta La Vista last year, 1999. The website allowed me to do a find on 'Fragrant' which permitted me to find the ones I wanted quickly. The prices compared very well with other online places. The plants I received had wonderful root systems and this year, even though those hostas were the newest, they were among the largest. They bloomed this, the first year, and were as fragrant as the catalog said. Sandi Palmer also added a bonus hosta, a very nice named one. I really appreciated the biodegradable peanuts that the plants were packed in.
Positive LouiseNiemer
July 1, 2000
Sandy Palmer of Hosta La Vista has just been wonderful to deal with and her merchandise is great! I've gotten some new 'designer' hosta from her at a VERY reasonable price that I would not have been able to afford for a few more years. Her prices are good, merchandise is of high quality, and it is meticulously shipped. She's been very enjoyable to correspond with. I think it's generally hard to go wrong with "small businesses" - especially if their goal is quality/service (which I believe Sandy's is) above making a financial killing. Prices might be a tad higher for the independent merchant (it's hard to compete with corporate entities), but the personal service and quality of merchandise is well worth it in my opinion. I HIGHLY recommend this mail order source for hosta!
Positive RosemarySmith
February 1, 2000
I had the pleasure of dealing with Mrs. Palmer last summer. I ordered several hostas from Hosta La Vista and was extremely pleased with the quality of the plants when the arrived. The plants were in perfect condition when they arrived. They were very clean, had amazing root systems, were well packaged, and I was very pleased with the size of each plant. Sandy was very helpful when I emailed her with questions about companion planting, what plants would do well in my zone, and requested info on particular types of hosta she was very forthcoming. She is very knowledgeable, very fair to deal with and goes the extra mile to help. I will be ordering from Hosta La Vista again.
Positive Brenda769
July 1, 1999
I just received 10 new Hostas from Sandy Palmer at Hosta La Vista and I am just delighted! The plants were beautiful, healthy and a stunning variety. Sandy was so helpful and I feel I really got my money's worth and more. I will definitely buy again and spread the word.
Positive suewestby
February 1, 1999
I have had the opportunity to visit this greenhouse after receiving an on-line catalog. The area is clean, neat and well kept, with no evidence of disease or other problems. With numerous displays gardens, plants are well represented and offer an array of choices for companion plantings. The cost of plant material is kept low and affordable. Although small in size, they double by the second year making very good specimen plantings or ground masses. I returned the second year to purchase more and was able to find some expensive cultivars in my price range, again, they were small but grew well once planted. Growing tips, suggestions of books and help have been quickly answered by e-mail. The supplier for this greenhouse is a wellknown midwest wholesaler/retail nursery and therefore I know the plants will be hardy, which is a plus for me. I look forward to another year of gardening and adding more hostas from Hosta La Vista.
Positive valeriedumser
February 1, 1999
I have known Sandy Palmer for 3 years, visited her greenhouse and beautiful surrounding area, that she landscaped, have received plants from her by mail for 2 years, and ordered again this year, and can't wait for the hostas to arrive. She sends healthy, first rate plants at terrific prices. I couldn't have some of these rare and expensive hostas from other companies, because of the cost. And, I might add, other companies don't have the quality control to always send the best hostas. I love her online catalogs, cuts down on mail, and look forward to her offerings of next year. If I am interested in a hosta she doesn't have she always looks for it for me. I can't wait for the spring shipment.
Negative laura267
January 1, 1999
I was delighted to see a fairly meaty web source for hostas, offered online by Hosta La Vista. Unfortunately, what looked like a promising, easy, fast, inexpensive way to buy hostas turned into a blood pressure raising experience. It started out pleasantly enough--I asked for a catalog and quickly received a file to download with a personal note. Then the transaction took a turn for the worse. I asked, re-asked and RE-asked questions. I had only five-some as simple as "Do you have...?" The second response answered one question and resent the catalog. I repeated my unanswered questions. The third response contradicted the first personal note. I repeated my *still* unanswered questions. The fourth response revealed that a noticeable irritation in my sincere questions.There are too many sources available on the net and elsewhere (as evidenced by this site) to go through this kind of hassle. Save your breath and money.
Positive laurenkturner
July 1, 1998
I ordered several Hostas from Hosta La Vista based on the comments in this list of Catalogs. I have to agree, that all the plants looked great. Shipped bareroot, nicely damp, and sent Priority mail. The owner was very pleasant to deal with and the prices were the best I've found. I would highly recommend Hosta La Vista!
Positive judizimmer
April 1, 1998
I have to add my praise of the hosta I received from Hosta La Vista. I purchased Blue Angel and another blue last year; this year they have doubled in size!
Positive Scotia
December 1, 1997
I have ordered from Hosta La Vista recently and was very pleased with the plants and prices. My plants were very small but extremely healthy with substantial root systems. The prices were the best I have seen and shipped bareroot, but moist and packed well with Priority Mail, they arrived in great shape.