The scoop on 'High Country Roses'

High Country Roses

Denver, Colorado 84035 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-552-2802
Paper Catalog Cost: Free in US; $2 Canada

Visit High Country Roses at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
September 7, 2014
Posted on April 26, 2013, updated September 7, 2014
I looked and looked for a source for Stanwell Perpetual. It seemed this iconic rose was disappearing. In desperation I placed my first order - ever - with this company.

The two roses came today. The larger one is almost a foot tall. The roses were fresh and beautiful. I am so impressed. I now have another source for good sized, own root roses.

Bravo High Country Gardens! I\'ll be back!
On September 7th, 2014, DonnaMack added the following:

I followed up my order above earlier this year with a request for two Gruss an Aachen. These roses have been blooming almost since arrival, and are stars in my garden. I am very happy with this company.
Positive MrsHeatherP
Fort Collins, CO
June 4, 2014
I feel like I have to thank this company with a review b/c they are so amazing. I have ordered about 14 roses from them this season, and the customer service is GREAT! I went on a binge but ordered the roses sporadically, which meant I was looking at a large shipping bill. They combined my shipments twice (once without me even requesting that they do so), and saved me a bunch of money. Then, I ordered without thinking about timing because I am leaving town and needed the rose rushed to me so I can harden it off and plant it (and so it does not die in a box on the patio when UPS drops it off), and he sent it by ONE DAY SHIPPING! Presumably without charging me for it, since I did not even request priority shipping when I ordered (my fault b/c the timing of this upcoming trip, which I planned forever ago, snuck up on me). As far as the roses themselves, so many of them have had buds and are SO HEALTHY and great. Some are smaller than others and I am not at all patient, but the first rose I planted has 5 roses, as we speak--whereas an "adult" rose I purchased in person at a nursery is still trying to summon energy to re-make the same sort of blossoms it had when purchased. My only gripe would be that a lot of the roses I want desperately sold out quickly, so I probably should not be writing yet another positive review but, like I said, I feel like I am in debt to them because they are such a great company! Thanks to Matt and everyone at HCR! I will definitely be back again and again!
Positive itsmesue
Canton, IL (Zone 5b)
June 2, 2014
Out of three different rose nurseries I ordered from, this one I like the best.

The roses from them are the most healthy looking, very good size, and arrived fast.

I ordered two "Bullseye" shrub roses and the plants looks really nice.

Plus, they had excellent communication about my order. The order confirmation, when the roses were shipped, and a tracking number.
Positive tbrinkley
Erick, OK
May 15, 2014
I ordered four roses from High Country Roses. The plants I received were healthy. Their customer service is very good. I will order from them again!
Positive Citro
Eden, MD
May 10, 2014
This was my first time ordering from High Country. I received my antique roses well packed and the roots were still damp. They took off as soon as they were put in the ground. Will order from them again!
Positive Gascoigne
Shawnee Mission, KS (Zone 5a)
June 19, 2013
First of all...a correction: High Country Roses is not in Utah. Maybe it was at one point, but their address is P.O. Box 22901 Denver, CO. 80222 and their phone is: (1800-552-2802. The owner is Matthew Douglas.

I have ordered twice in 2013 from HCR. They are Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. I have been ordering plants thru the Internet now for many years. This is one of THE BEST places to buy roses from.

Number 1: Selection. They have a great selection of species, old garden roses in every class, and moderns to choose from. Yes, they have a smaller selection than some of the old school retailers out there, but they are tops in the roses they do grow....which leads me to....

Number 2: Plant quality is #1. I bought a Persian Yellow Foetida, and Bicolor Austrian Copper Foetida, Darlow's Enigma musk and a Gloire de Dijon very very early this year....and they arrived in perfect shape and have since bloomed many times (the Gloire & Darlow's) and grown tremendously. In the middle of this summer, just recently, I bought a Roserie de l'Hay and a Madame Alfred Carriere. They are bigger, healthier, and more professionally, read: translation: >>>>>gently! ------>>>>"I actually care about the roses I grow and therefore pack them well!"<<<<< these were packed better than Almost any of the other Internet places I have bought from. Some places use so much tape that the plant might as well be mummified in the box. not at High Country Roses. They are awesome!

Number 3: Ordering is easy and pleasant. The guy that runs the place is NICE, accommodating and CHEERFUL. I don't expect a jolly bombastic overload of positivity when I place orders or whatever, but the last thing I want to hear when I call to follow up, correct my own mistake, or add to an order is a sour, moody, sighhhhhh-ing, curt voice. Like I am one of the many problems of their day. I get that a lot of that in both my local and Internet nursery-people. What is up with that?

Number 4: I don't expect a super bargain when I go looking for a rarer type or class of rose. But I am your average, bourgeois, semi-suburban gardener....not your six figure trophy wife who "gardens" with her assistants who do all the work. I do all my own work on my half acre garden, as well as work full time. I cannot afford a $45 custom root & I don't care about exhibiting. I just grow, because I like doing research on unusual plants, for my own well being and to make things beautiful. I will look for affordable plants from many sources. HCR's plants are affordable, so is their shipping. It's not one of those places that charges a weird handling fee, a materials fee, (USPS Shipping should be an option, and their boxes are FREE, folks), a gas fee, etc etc, with an attitude in bold red typeface on the order page, like they are MAD at you for giving them business. At High Country Roses, there is no mickey mouse. It's easy, it is fair, and that is why I am a loyal HCR customer.

Cheers to High Country Roses!!! Thank you!!!!!
Positive limabean
Exeter, NH (Zone 5b)
June 8, 2013
After reading about the Musk Rose Ballerina, this company was one of the very few sources I could find. After waiting a year on backorder, the 3 arrived in Seacoast New Hampshire, small, in perfect condition with superb packaging. The first tiny blooms in the fabulous weather we are having are a tease about what I can look forward to in the coming years.
Positive COgardener2675
Fort Collins, CO
May 30, 2013
I ordered 6 roses in April with a ship date after 5-28. They shipped on time and arrived in beautiful condition! Matt was very helpful in recommending a rose for a particular site (drought and shade tolerant). Two of the roses arrived with buds and flowers. Well worth the price to get "own root" roses and I will buy from them again.
Positive Calico67
Kokomo, IN
September 17, 2012
Posted on May 7, 2012, updated September 17, 2012
Company: High Country Roses
Denver, CO

My first thought was to send a negative comment. I later decided to post a neutral comment...................I ordered a "Quadra" Canadian rose in early April. It was shipped April 16, 2012. The rose was alive when it arrived, but verrrry small. (two 8" sticks) I was expecting it to be at least as big as the ones I could buy locally. I watered it immediately. It perked up over the next day or so, so I started exposing it to the great outdoors a little at a time. To my amazement, a new bud starting growing on the tiny sticks. I hardened it off properly, and planted it in early May. It's still alive, but I still have my doubts. I didn't contact the company, because I figured it's still alive, and it's my mistake for ordering from them. I ordered roses several years ago from another company and was surprised at how large and robust they were. I guess I'll return to the other company in the future. Wish me luck with this one!
On September 17th, 2012, Calico67 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

This must be one tough rose! It is now September and the rose is 4ft. tall. It was slow growing for the first month or so, then took off and hasn't stopped growing. I have had 5 blooms this summer, and hope it makes it through the Winter so I can really enjoy it next year. I fertilized it twice and watered it every day (because of the drought we've had). I'm thrilled. I've changed my rating, and thank High Country Roses so much for this pretty rose. Wish me luck through the Winter. I think I'll wrap it in burlap just to cut the harsh winter winds.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2012:
On May 8, 2012 6:16 AM, High Country Roses responded with:

I am sorry to hear that your Quadra is struggling a bit. Inevitability some of our plants are a little slow breaking dormancy and putting on growth. I examined our stock yesterday and I would put Quadra in that category. I would be happy to replace the plant for you. I want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. (I definitely don't want you to feel stuck or that it was a mistake) I also want you to feel free to contact us with any issues. Customer satisfaction is much more important to me than any plant we sell.

matt@highcountryroses.com
1 800 552 2082

Positive alanabug
Bishopville, SC
August 4, 2012
Hi, ordered darlow's enigma, rosa glauca, rosa ,mundi and apothecary's rose this spring and all of them are doing wonderful . Lots of new growth and all have bloomed except rosa glauca. The only problem I had was in july we had a bad heat wave for three days with tempertures in excess of 105 degrees and rosa glauca got burnt by the afternoon sun some, one stem died but is now recovering and putting out new growth. I think high country roses sales excellent rose cuttings and if your having trouble it's your own inexperience and not their fault.Also all the roses have had new basel shoots.
Positive whitefragrance
Fredericksburg, VA
June 23, 2012
I ordered about 10 roses for the first time from this company. The owner was very courteous and communicative on the phone even advised me to delay shipping because of Abraham Darby being slow in growth.I appreciated his frankness and did so, the shipment arrived well, the roses were a tad bit smaller than what other companies send in comparision, but they have all taken off in vigor and are already flowering this very season in my garden.I will definitely order again from this company, Matt knows his roses and advises honestly!Thanks a bunch.
Neutral hhong3138
Elgin, TX (Zone 8b)
June 19, 2012
I bought 7 rose plants from high country rose. The communication is good, but the plants are so small and not worth the price they charged for. The gold busch was tiny!
Company representative comment on June 20, 2012:
On Jun 20, 2012 9:52 PM, High Country Roses responded with:

I'm also sorry to hear you were disappointed with the size of your roses. Own root roses do start small, but typically really take off once in the ground. (Own root roses usually catch up to the size of grafted roses within two or three years, and then are healthier.) If your roses do not take off or you find that they aren't thriving, please let me know and I'll be glad to offer replacements. Our goal is to ensure that you are satisfied with your purchase and will have healthy roses to enjoy for years to come.

1-800-552-2082

Neutral wildtype
Mason, MI
June 7, 2012
I ordered "new dawn" and "white dawn" roses from high country because i was unable to find them locally. The plants were shipped in good time and are healthy, but are also quite small for the money.
Company representative comment on June 20, 2012:
On Jun 20, 2012 9:50 PM, High Country Roses responded with:

I'm so sorry to hear you were disappointed with the size of your roses. Own root roses do start small, but typically really take off once in the ground. (Own root roses usually catch up to the size of grafted roses within two or three years, and then are healthier.) If your roses do not take off or you find that they aren't thriving, please let me know and I'll be glad to offer replacements. Our goal is to ensure that you are satisfied with your purchase and will have healthy roses to enjoy for years to come.

1-800-552-2082

Positive bluespanishlady
Rochester, MN
May 22, 2012
My small own rooted roses arrived and I planted them in a zone four garden. That was last year. They stayed basically small plants setting roots. This year these roses are over four feet tall, fully branched and loaded with blooms. My Victorian Memory roses are the star of this years garden! I do not use chemicals and fertilize with composted manure. I cant say enough about how pleased I am with these roses.

Positive Vashur
Wichita, KS (Zone 6b)
May 5, 2012
Very nice healthy product... The packaging could be improved a bit by using a method to keep the dirt in the pots.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2012:
On May 8, 2012 6:05 AM, High Country Roses responded with:

Thank you for your positive review. Keeping the soil in pots during shipping is a constant challenge. We have recently increased the amount of packing around the rose and switched to a biodegradable void fill. Hopefully this will help keep everything in place. Enjoy your roses.

Positive musaboru
Ontario, CA
April 18, 2012
Just received my order for Rose de Rescht and Sweet Chariot. Both were very healthy band-size plants. The 'Sweet Chariot' had two opened flowers and were so fragrant they knocked my socks off as soon I as lifted open the tabs of the box.

Shipping was very reasonably priced. Packaging was good.

I would definitely order from High Country Roses again.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
March 31, 2012
Posted on November 29, 2011, updated March 31, 2012
I received excellent quality roses from this company earlier this fall. Plants were well packed and much larger than I expected given the size of the pots. I appreciate High Country Roses' thoughtful selection of varieties, as well as their candid remarks about hardiness and garden performance. I can't wait to see how my new roses will survive the winter and watch them grow up to be beautiful, hardy flowering shrubs. I would definitely order from them again.
On March 31st, 2012, Ispahan added the following:

All of my roses from High Country survived the winter beautifully, and they are much more vigorous than roses ordered from other rose nurseries last fall.

Next time I need more roses for the garden, I will turn to High Country first!
Positive Sandwichkatexan
Copperas Cove, TX
December 6, 2011
A excellent company for roses ! I messed up however year before last by placing all of their Knock out roses on hold and forgetting the card I had placed them on reserve with was not yet activated . I was mortified with embarrassment . I plan to order from them again and hope I am not blacklisted . However the roses I do have from them are all huge and thriving !
Positive Kandi7
Tekamah, NE
October 13, 2011
nice mail order nursery, prompt, well-packaged, healthy roses, and great customer service - what more could you ask for?
Positive Gabrielle
(Zone 5a)
July 22, 2011
I ordered ‘Tess Of The D’Urbervilles’ and it arrived ready to thrive. I was delighted to even get blooms the first year!
Positive strawberryhill
5a, IL
July 21, 2011
Posted on July 6, 2011, updated July 21, 2011
I ordered 5 roses from High Country in the heat of June. The roses arrived lush and healthy, with buds. I got 4 fragrant blossoms right away. Pat Austin rose came out pink (some other English rose), rather than orange. I called the company, and they promptly guarantee that they will send me a Pat Austin ASAP. I'm happy with their service.

High country Rose website is the easiest to use, and the photos of the roses are more accurate than other website (I appreciate their honesty). Abraham Darby is correctly shown on their website as faded, almost white color, with a tinge of salmon - which is exactly what I saw at Cantigny rose garden in the spring.
On July 21st, 2011, strawberryhill added the following:

High Country sent me a FREE Pat Austin, along with William Shakespeare 2000 that I paid for. They came one foot tall, green, lush, and full with buds on the hottest day of July. Pat Austin gave me a giant 4" blossom, William Shakespeare gave me a smaller but intense fragrant bloom.

The other five roses which came last month are doing well with at least a dozen buds on them. I paid $101 for those five, and they came with deeper root system than the gallon-size roses elsewhere. It was a good deal. I'm very happy with High Country quality and the prompt service.

If you want big roses fast and at any time of the year, High Country is the best place.

Positive WeeklyWeeder
Polson, MT (Zone 5b)
June 25, 2011
Received a very nice New Dawn Climbing rose and expect that it will do very well. I did pay attention to the hardening-off instructions and think that will help the rose get established nicely.
Rosemary was lovely to speak with on the phone and the packing and shipping was excellent.
I am really looking forward to the 'Quadra' rose in the fall to add to my garden.
Thanks for a pleasant shopping experience and the high-quality stock.
C. Paris
Positive sagebird
Laramie, WY
May 19, 2011
GREAT, Well grown roses looking very healthy, well wrapped and packaged, Terrific . Will order again.
Positive jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI (Zone 5a)
May 8, 2011
This was my first time ordering from HCR and would definitely order from again.

Very pleased with the size and the health of my plants on arrival.

I ordered the following:
Polareis (Polar Ice),
Martin Frobisher
Moje Hammarberg
Rosa rugosa rubra
Positive odeymail
Ormond Beach, FL
April 30, 2011
This was my first order from High Country Roses. The lady who I spoke with on the phone was very nice. They had notified me that Tuscany Superb rose was in ( that I had been on a special waiting list for )and ready to be shipped to me. It was sent out quickly and arrived in just a couple days priority mail. The rose plant is very healthy, well packed, they had sent me a tracking number and ship notice too. I am thrilled that it has several buds on it. Very healthy plant. Very pleased with this company. Thanks for a great ordering experience would recommend them.
Positive Plantsman06
Portland, OR
March 2, 2011
I just received my first rose order from this company. The order was shipped on the date promised, was well packed and packaged using recyled newspapers and shredded paper. The plants are well grown in "nursery quarts" and of nice size (approx. ~6" X ~8"). The planting medium is light and fluffy which is good for shipping weight, but I am having them repotted into a heavier planting mix to grow on just a bit before they go into the gardens.

This has been overall a good experience for me.
Positive anelson77
Seattle, WA
February 9, 2011
My roses arrived promptly and were carefully packed and in good condition. The prices were very reasonable.
Positive terri_emory
Alba, TX (Zone 8a)
November 5, 2010
This was my first time ordering from HCR and I will order again. I ordered three Lilian Austins from the sale list and I ordered late in the year. The roses shipped right away and arrived in very good order! Good value for the price and own root, too! They confirmed my order immediately and sent a ship notice via e-mail. For being so late in the year the roses look very healthy and the stems are good and green with good root support and no breakage. Can't ask for more!
Positive deereyebrow
Black Hawk, SD
July 23, 2010
They have a very nice rose collection. My order of roses arrived big and healthy, and the shipping charge is very reasonable. Very fast, too. I will order again next spring.
Positive sassy4u
Washington, UT
May 19, 2010
Wow fast shipping. I recieved my rose the same week I bought it!!! The rose was in great condition. I would highly recommend going through this company for fast shipping and good quality roses!!
Positive rogg11
El Sobrante, CA
May 14, 2010
I give High Country roses my highest recommendation and I will definitely be ordering from them again. I ordered three roses Darwin's enigma, Charles de Mills and Frances Lester. When I called HCR, the staff was able to tell me approximately when they would arrive. The plants were at my house precisely on Wednesday just as HCR said they would be.
The plants were in very good shape, soil in the containers was moist and leaves and buds were well hydrated. They went in ground within two days.
The plants are now thriving in my backyard-I am very pleased with the new addition to my Garden ...Thank you Very Much High Country Roses. Fred Andres, Northern California
Positive dwc47
Chattanooga, TN (Zone 7b)
May 6, 2010
I only ordered one rose, but it was healthy and well-rooted. Packing was good, and shipment took place on the promised date. Add them to your list for rose sources.
Positive aimeej
Albuquerque, NM
March 1, 2010
Every rose I have received from High Country Roses has been large, well rooted and very healthy. I would recommend them to anyone and everyone.
Positive cattjovi
Richmond Hill, GA
October 7, 2009
Just received my first order from High Country Roses and it won't be my last. Largest bands ever. So impress with this company. Great roses and the packing of the roses was top notch. Highly recommend this company.
Arlene
Positive davis1676
Disputanta, VA (Zone 7a)
October 3, 2009
I received 11 large & healthy roses from High Country Roses. They were packaged well, arrived in a timely manner & the company has been very helpful to deal with. I look forward to buying more roses from them next year!
Neutral kentstar
Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b)
May 27, 2009
I wanted to try High Country Roses, because I needed very cold hardy plants and because of all the positive feedback. I ordered Ramblin' Red and Iceberg. Both were received ok but they looked wilty and drooping. Iceberg I gave to my neighbor. Maybe she can get it to do better. Ramblin' Red I went ahead and planted as soon as I got it and it never has gotten better. It is going downhill, yellow leaves (the ones that haven't fallen off) and still very small no growth at all. I am not very pleased. I had contacted them through email and haven't heard anything yet. I hope this post reaches them then. I have hopes that somehow RR will pick back up but I have my doubts. I don't know if I will be back. I'll have to wait and see if they contact me about RR rose or if the rose picks back up. More later...
On May 30th, 2009, kentstar changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

The company did call in response to my email, and said that they sent an email themselves, and were surprised that I didn't receive their email. Basically they said that I shouldn't have planted it right away and it is probably in transplant shock. So basically, they say it's my fault. That may or may not be, but no offer to refund or replace was ever made! I was told to give it 3 to 4 weeks and see if it improves. So far it is STILL going downhill! I have hope still, but... If it doesn't improve in 3 to 4 weeks I probably won't order there again, my fault or no. If someone takes the time to email you AND talk on the phone, you should do what you can to rectify the situation and keep your customers. Now, if I do call in 4 weeks with a dead rose, what then? I must have done something wrong to kill the rose. Oh well, live and learn I guess.
On August 15th, 2009, kentstar changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Sorry I took so long to respond. I don't get on too often. I will change the rating to neutral, because of two things. I did get the refund, thankyou, and a lot of it was probably my fault anyways. I should have let the rose rest upon arrival for a few days. I bought it late in the season, and was in a hurry to get it in the ground to develop a root system.
However, even after a month and a half to two months, the rose never recovered and just went downhill. It is dead now, unfortunately. This experience taught me one thing, get the rose in the ground earlier in the season, and after having some time to adjust.
Company representative comment on June 23, 2009:
On May 31, 2009 8:20 AM, High Country Roses responded with:

We try very hard to ensure our customers' satisfaction and want your experience with our company to be a positive one. We also hope that the rose will thrive after it is better established in the ground.
Since you are having trouble with it, we will issue a refund for the rose to your credit card on Monday, but hope that you will still give the rose a few weeks to take off and grow.
From what you described on the phone, you received the rose and planted it right away, while our planting instructions recommend that you wait a couple of days to allow the rose to acclimatize. Coming out of our greenhouse and being in a shipping box for 3 days, the leaves are tender and can be damaged by sun and wind if the plant is not gradually hardened off.
That is why we felt that the rose suffered some transplant shock and encouraged you to give it some time to adjust. We hope that it will soon begin to grow vigorously for you and become a valuable addition to your garden.
Heather Campbell

On Jun 23, 2009 11:22 AM, High Country Roses added:

As some time has passed, we would appreciate an update on the status of the rose and would like to know if it is still alive. You should have received your refund, but if there is a problem, let us know.
If we have handled the situation to your satisfaction, we would appreciate it if you would consider changing your rating back to neutral.
Heather Campbell

Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
May 20, 2009
Great products. This is the third order I've had with them.

I ordered Europeana and Graham Stuart Thomas. Great out of the box. I'm looking forward to planting them.

I still have Queen Elizabeth that I ordered 5 years ago. It is one of my strongest growers.

I'd buy again.
Positive RhiannonBGKy
Sidney, MT (Zone 3a)
May 11, 2009
I ordered 3 zone 2 roses on April 30 and receive them on May 7. They were well packed and still moist, truely great specimens. I received prompt email corresondence and payment was credited on email receipt of shipment. I couldn't ask for better service. I will definitly order from them again
Positive trospero
Corvallis, OR
April 3, 2009
Excellent mail order nursery. Customer service was very competent and polite and I was able to complete the order by phone in about 2 minutes. The rose was shipped in a matter of a couple of days and it arrived within 5 days of placing the order. The rose was an excellent specimen in ideal condition. Not a bruised leaf anywhere. Five stars out of five. Highly recommended.
Positive Marisa_K
Lincoln, CA (Zone 8b)
December 23, 2008
I've ordered from this nursery more than once, buying roses for myself in northern California and my mom in southern Oregon. All of our roses are doing extremely well. The bands arrived securely packed and still moist with no damage to the plants. My Mutabilis has bloomed nonstop, every month, for the last two years...but the one that blows me away is Great Western (a Bourbon). It arrived as a band-sized sprig around the first of May. By September, it had grown into a fountain of eight-foot tall canes. I've never seen anything like it. The plant is massive. It boggles my mind to think of the little twig I planted in May growing eight feet in three months. I can't wait to see it in bloom!

Every rose I've purchased from High Country Roses has succeeded. I've been very pleased with their quality, prices, prompt replies to questions, and the number of old garden varieties they carry.