The scoop on 'Territorial Seed Company'

Territorial Seed Company

Cottage Grove, Oregon 97424 (United States)

Fax: 1-888-657-3131

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on December 10, 2001:
Backyard gardeners and market growers have learned from experience that there really is a difference in vegetable varieties. Not only in how they perform, but also in how they taste. If you like to garden, or are thinking about gardening, then Territorial Seed Company's catalogs contain just about all the help you need.

Unique to Territorial Seed Company is their 44-acre trial grounds and organic research farm, located in London Springs, Oregon. Each year Territorial's research staff grows and evaluates thousands of varieties. Those available in their catalogs have been grown at their trial grounds and have passed stringent quality requirements. They offer seeds for over 800 vegetable, herb, flower, cover crop, and sprouting varieties. These seeds are not genetically modified or engineered.

At Territorial, they pay close attention to how long it takes for vegetables such as corn and cauliflower to be ready for harvest. They seek out varieties that fill openings in days to maturity from a common planting date so that gardeners can be assured of having good tasting fresh-from-the-garden food all season long. Also important to them are cultivars rich in vital nutrients. They also offer a wide range of high-quality vegetable, herb, and flower plants, garlic, potatoes, and garden accessories.

Territorial Seed Company publishes two catalogs yearly, one each for spring and winter gardening, and both are chocked full of planting and growing tips. Call for a catalog or visit their website.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative cantgrow
CASTELLA, CA
May 18, 2014
Outlandish shipping costs.
I work for the post office and I know EXACTLY what it costs to ship what.
You can get MANY seed packages into a Priority envelope for $5.60 and they are free to the shipper, so there really is no cost other than the employee putting them into the envelope.
A Priority PADED envelope ships for $5.95
A small Priority box is $5.80
I will purchase elsewhere next year.
This seems to be a chief complaint to this company but they don't seem to care.
Positive Citro
Eden, MD
May 10, 2014
I ordered Queen red lime Zinna seeds and a Pink Jasmine. The Jasmine was about 20 inches high with flowers already! Excellent packing, I will order from them again!
Positive nmbirder
Albuquerque, NM
April 28, 2014
The seed I've bought from them really does well. When I once had some non-germinating seed, I let them know and it was promptly replaced.
I LOVE that I can order a single variety of tomato, pepper or other plants that are commonly sold in blocks of 4 or 6. It's a chance to try new varieties that are not locally available. I have discovered many new plants that now are mainstays in my garden such as Creme Brulee bell pepper. It's so much fun to try new items. Maybe something turns out to be not so great (like black tomato varieties for me) but it was worth finding out anyway. Go to the local place get all of the Beefsteaks and Celebrity tomatoes.
I have planted seed from packages that are several years old with good results.
Positive mac24
Litchfield Park, AZ
April 26, 2014
Excellent company. I usually place 2 orders a year and they are always filled promptly and arrive within a few days.

Great selection of OP seeds.

Seeds do well in hot, dry Phoenix, especially many of their tomatoes. I have a bumper crop of Oregon Spring tomatoes this year. Seeds always have excellent germination and high quality plants.

Shipping is a bit pricey but many companies have hiked their shipping charges.

They sell high quality products with good service. Overall, Territorial is first-rate.
Positive daveinsc
Scranton, SC
April 23, 2014
I also ordered seeds from territorial that had a 2013 date on the package,I went ahead and started them and had a 90% germination rate,a little better than seed purchased from another dealer.so thumbs up.
Positive Nannersone
San Diego, CA
January 14, 2014
We ordered from them last year (Spring 2013) - Rutgers Space Tomatoes and several packets of seeds. The shipping seemed high, but we did agree to it before we ordered so cannot complain. The tomatoes were small when they arrived, but quite healthy and grew amazingly quickly when we planted them. They gave us quite a lot of absolutely wonderful tomatoes. The seeds also did well. Shipping was extremely well-done, well packed, and prompt. The quality of everything we ordered was exceptional. I have no problems recommending them.
Negative gourmetgardens
Cookeville, TN
November 22, 2013
BUYERS BEWARE OF OLD SEEDS! I received an order of seeds today, Nov. 22, 2013. When I looked at the packets I realized that they were packed for the 2013 growing season and not the 2014 growing season. I called customer service and explained that I was not happy about receiving the old seeds. It is dishonest of them to push last planting season's seeds at a time of the year when customers are planning next season's crops. Customer service made it clear that this is how they operate. I ordered seeds from Baker Creek Seeds on the same day that I placed my order with Territorial Seeds and Baker Creek sent me seeds for 2014. You decide who is the more reputable company. Territorial Seeds told me I could send them back but after I thought about it - I decided it that I had already paid $7.50 shipping on 8 packets of seeds and it would probably cost $5.00 to ship them back. Then I would have spent over $12.00 in shipping charges and have nothing for my money . I have been a loyal customer for years. No longer!!! Territorial Seeds' policies and customer service are clearly anti-customer. GOODBYE TERRITORIAL SEED COMPANY!
Company representative comment on December 27, 2013:
On Dec 27, 2013 4:32 PM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

Dear gardener, first and foremost; if you are ever unsatisfied with your purchase from Territorial we will refund that purchase to you promptly.

I believe I can explain why you received the ‘packed for’ date that you did, but to do this a bit more insight into industry seed packaging procedures is required. At Territorial we purposely strive to package our seed as close to the start of the year ‘packed for’ dated as possible. To illustrate; our 2014 catalogs are scheduled to be delivered in-home the last week of December 2013, so you can understand how the months of November and December of 2013 are the busiest packaging months to start the ‘packed for’ selling season of 2014. By law with a fresh seed germination test we could in fact start packaging way before that, say clear back in July 2013 for the entire 2014 season if we desired to, and quite frankly this is standard operating procedure for many seed firms. Having seed packaged and on the shelf for 18 months is not unheard of at all, especially for those companies with a national seed rack distribution program. The reason we don’t operate this way is that at Territorial we tend to purchase and grow a lot of our own fresh ‘new crop’ seed, and these new seed crops come into our warehouse towards the end of the calendar year. The resulting just- in- time seed packaging ensures that filled seed packets are on the shelf or even rack displays for the shortest time possible, staying as fresh as possible before being sold to you. This short time period in the packet is further enhanced by the fact that we normally pull seed packets off the shelf at our normal end of seed selling season, which is sometime in November, and we resume seed sales again with the following “packed for” seasons seed as it becomes available in December. Your order seems to have been processed in this time period just previous to discontinuing one season and starting another. All these procedures here at Territorial help to ensure that the majority of our seed sold is fresh as possible. So please keep this in mind when you see seed packets on store shelves in September or October with the next years “packed for” date on them, or even when you receive them mail order dated this way. Just by looking at the ‘packed for’ date as you described does not tell you how long the seed as been really packaged, nor how fresh the seed is.
Tom Johns
President

Positive drmurphy
Virginia Beach, VA
June 7, 2013
Over the winter I placed an order for a number of different items: tomatoes, peppers, mint, olive trees and they were almost all scheduled to ship at different times. I was very happy with the pricing, item accuracy, shipping and condition of plants upon arrival. I would definitely recommend them. My only issue is I would have like a little better communication (email) on when things were going to ship because I travel for work and was afraid items would be taken care on arrival (minor issue).
Positive HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC (Zone 7b)
April 25, 2013
I've tried growing French Tarragon over the years, without success. Either the plants turned out to be NOT true French Tarragon, or the plants died!

I finally had success with a French Tarragon plant I purchased from Territorial Seed. They shipped it on time as promised. Although it looked as though it had died during the winter, it sprang up this spring as soon as the weather warmed. Today, (April 26 2013) I snipped the first leaves.

Positive linzelu100
HUDDLESTON, VA
April 18, 2013
I agree with other posting reviews that shipping costs are ridiculous here. I would order from them more often if it wasn't for this. That being said, I did know the cost of shipping when I ordered, so I am not reviewing based on that. My seeds came in good time and they have germinated well. I also love their selections. I ordered from them regardless of shipping costs, because I really wanted to try purple peacock broccoli. I was really shocked by how many seeds they gave me. I paid a lot of money for that packet and it was stingy. I also really liked the lettuce selection. The decriptions are so very helpful in deciding. Some places just describe looks/flavor. I need to know about weather conditions. I would order again from them, but it would have to be something really, really interesting to get me to pay those shipping costs, especially when I know how few seeds are in each packet.
Positive TucsonTomato
Tucson, AZ
April 17, 2013
Although Territorial Seed Company is pretty pricy – especially with some of their cucumber seed, which can cost up to $1.00 per seed – I have had a relatively good experience with their products.

Each year I have purchased seed from Territorial the seed has grown as described and some of the varieties I have grown from them have become some of my favorite. Territorial offers many hard-to-find open-pollinated vegetable varieties that are well worth trying out. That is what keeps me coming back to them year after year.

Overall, I would not buy seeds from Territorial if they did not have want I want to buy. Their shipping and their seeds are expensive. That being said, they have always done a very good job keeping their seed varieties pure and have always provided me with high-quality seed. I’m sure they would have much more business if they lowered their prices a bit!

Thanks Territorial.
Positive squashee
Blackwell, OK
March 8, 2013
I have ordered from this company for at least the last ten years and have always been extremely satisfied with their seeds and customer service. While their shipping rates are high I pay them to get quality seeds that I know will grow AND produce for me reliably year after year. Last year my husband even ordered a product from them in early December for a Christmas present and even though their catalogs weren't published yet and they had limited staff, if any, they made sure we received our order before Christmas eve. Two thumbs up!!!
Positive lilygrandma
Ellijay, GA
March 7, 2013
Posted on March 5, 2012, updated March 7, 2013
Posted on March 12, 2011, updated March 5, 2012
Posted on April 12, 2010, updated March 12, 2011
Posted on June 23, 2009, updated April 12, 2010
Another order to Territorial filled completely and quickly with no backorders (this late in the season!) and arrival here from the W.Coast in 4 days (including the weekend) from placing the order!

Also, called and talked to a customer rep who was terrific!

I cannot recommend this company enough! Wish they had a Southern counterpart!
On April 12th, 2010, lilygrandma added the following:

Can this company move to the South? Then I would have my seeds in a matter of hours! Oregon to Georgia in 4 days--everything complete. Can't wait to see the germination of these seeds!
On March 12th, 2011, lilygrandma added the following:

6 day shipment this time--very good, but onion plants backordered, and no indication of WHEN/IF they would arrive. Need to know so I can order from another company. I will try to call them Monday and find out what is up. I have always had good luck with their seeds.
On March 5th, 2012, lilygrandma added the following:

I received the seeds this year in great time--4 days from Oregon to Georgia! My seeds did well last year, and I hope this continues.

I am a little sad that 2 types of seeds are back ordered, but the representative told me this when I called in the order. I had hoped by ordering earlier, there would be no back orders.

Looking forward to more business with this company!
On March 7th, 2013, lilygrandma added the following:

Yet again, my order came within a week. I am looking forward to growing these seeds. Their seeds have always done well in my garden!
Company representative comment on March 14, 2011:
On Mar 14, 2011 7:45 AM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

Hello, and thank you for the nice comments! Onion plants are shipped directly from our supplier to you and they ship according to where you live. We send our supplier orders a couple of times per week and they are usually very prompt at getting the plants out. Feel free to call to find out specifics about your order.

Positive hjulich
Des Moines, IA (Zone 5a)
December 15, 2012
I have placed orders with Territorial each year for at the past six or seven years. I have always found the seeds to be good quality and the shipping fast. Yes, the shipping charges are a bit high, so I'm careful to order what I need all at once. I used up some five-year old seeds this year and they had a better than 80% germination rate - a pleasant surprise and an indication of quality.
Positive SeniorGardening
Sullivan, IN
November 12, 2012
I think it’s probably just human nature that we tend to post comments about vendors when we have a problem with them. I certainly have done so here in the past. But when I put together my list of recommended seed suppliers for a Senior Gardening posting this year, I realized that I should make a positive comment here about each of our suppliers that have performed so well over the years.

We’ve used Territorial Seed Company for “spot orders” for the last several years, mainly ordering stuff we need but can’t find anywhere else. We’ve been satisfied with the results of each order.

Negative libertyfarm
Ashland, OR
October 15, 2012
I opened a 1/2 pound bag of Fava Beans yesterday purchased from Territorial and out came broken glass with the Fava Beans. Really glad I didn't have kids working with me. I called the company and got an answering machine for customer service. No real help there. I am purchasing from even more local seed companies from now on.
Company representative comment on October 15, 2012:
On Oct 15, 2012 9:21 AM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

I am very sorry that there was glass in your fava packet. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this happening before and can assure you that it is far from common. Our customer service staff is not here on Sundays but I checked with them this morning and it seems that they have already contacted you. If you have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Positive Mmarycontrary
Medford, OR
June 25, 2012
I have purchased Territorial Seeds for several years and have become a devoted customer. I purchase the seeds from my local nursery, as the company is only 100 miles from my home.
For the first time, in May, I stopped by their store and greenhouse while traveling. I was impressed with their prices compared to my local nurseries and the interesting local plants that are difficult to find. I purchased quite a bit and everything I planted is growing beautifully; being strong, healthy plants. I will travel back next spring!
Positive Waldeburg
Puyallup, WA
June 18, 2012
As a fairly new gardener, I must say I love the TSC catalog! I call it my mini garden guide. It is full of all the plants' growing information and contains many color photos. While I agree the shipping costs when ordering a few packets of seeds is too high, there is a way around it. Contact your local nursery and ask them to consider TSC as their (or an additional) seed rack company. This way you can avoid shipping charges and support your local nursery. The seeds are pre-printed with the price on them & it is the same cost as the online & printed catalog. My local nursery stocks many varieties of seed from TSC so I can support my local ecomony while getting the seeds I desire.
Positive elderberrypress
Oakland, OR
May 9, 2012
Good folks, good seeds and veggie plants grown locally. Just called them up and the gal was friendly and helpful. Every time I've gone in to buy plants they are very friendly. A rare thing, today. Want to eat and buy locally? Then this is the place.
Positive gsteinbe
Trenton, NJ
April 27, 2012
I've ordered seeds from Territorial Seed Company many times and have been generally satisfied. This year, for the first time, I ordered plants -- a compact Stella Cherry, a hardy Fuchsia, and Oca. The bare-root Stella Cherry arrived first, was huge, and seems to be doing well, having broken dormancy quickly and with vigor. The hardy Fuchsia arrived some weeks later and is healthy and nice. The Oca should be sent toward the end of this month or early May. So, I really have no complaints.
Negative LeeInSF
Chupadero, NM
April 26, 2012
In 2011 I placed an order which included 2 8 oz. packages of pea seeds of 2 different varieties. I did not get a chance to plant them in 2011. When I went to plant them this Spring, each package felt light so I weighed them. Each package weighed approximately 4 oz, not 8 oz. This seemed strange to me so I thought maybe the seeds had dried some and that would account for the weight discrepancy. I decided to count the seeds. Their catalog states that the seed count per ounce is 90-165 seeds. Each package contained approximately 400 seeds or about 4 oz. of seeds rather than the 8 oz. that I ordered.

To me, this discrepancy in two seed packages of different peas does not seem random. If I order from them again, I will definitely weigh the seed packages.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Territorial Seeds?
Company representative comment on April 26, 2012:
On Apr 26, 2012 7:59 PM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

Sorry about the discrepancy in the weight of your pea packages. Haven't heard of any other issues like this so hoping that your case is isolated. If you call or email our customer service department, we'd be happy to send you more seed or refund your money.

Negative JoeyinRoseburg
April 13, 2012
I do not intend to order plants again from Territorial Seed. An order I placed some time ago arrived today, and although the plants appear to be very healthy, the size of the containers and the plants themselves are unbelievably small. VERY tiny, indeed, and their cost was either at least as much or higher than others far larger that I have ordered from other online nurseries. The shipping cost for four teeny plants in a very small carton was nearly $19, and I reside a short driving distance from Territorial Seed! One plant I ordered was not included and shown as being back-ordered on the packing slip, but there was no indication of when they expect to ship it. The total cost of five tiny plants, plus shipping, was over $42 and caused my jaw to drop when I saw what arrived for that amount of money. The only thing I'm happy about with this order is that what did arrive looks healthy and thriving. Period.
Negative reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
April 10, 2012
Posted on March 28, 2012, updated April 10, 2012
Posted on March 28, 2012, updated March 28, 2012
Posted on June 21, 2010, updated March 28, 2012
Posted on June 11, 2010, updated June 21, 2010
Posted on June 11, 2010, updated June 11, 2010
I have to agree with Daniel. I'm trying to investigate some problems I had with an order and to attempt to have a normal conversation with them. It's like the person who responds is drunk or something? I get bits and pieces of a response (which I guess I should be grateful for) and it really doesn't address the questions I had about the problems with my order and now I cannot get another response. Fortunately, it was a small order for 4 seed packets, only 3 were available. But, based on the poor communication, I would put them in the category or "Don't Bother". I also charge on my credit card for a reason. Can you say - Chargeback!?
On June 11th, 2010, reeve1 added the following:

I ordered 4 seed packets and only 3 were in stock. Did shipping come down? NO!! I wish to also support those that have complained about the shipping cost. This is the highest of anyone out there - bar none!!! Gouging customers is going to last only so long and then you won't have anyone left to gouge. Let's not be ridiculous.
On June 21st, 2010, reeve1 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I was able to resolve my major issue but there still remains a problem with what I feel like is gouging for shipping charges. A company should never try to make money off of shipping. The product is where profit should be made. Shipping is only a means to get the product to the customer and should be at cost or less. Any other company charges 1/2 of what these people charge. Until Territorial realizes this and lowers their shipping, I won't be ordering from them any more.
On March 28th, 2012, reeve1 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I'm finished shopping with Territorial Seed. I have ordered most every year for the past 4 or 5 years and seem to have some sort of problem each year. I purchased 7 seed packs this year, mostly Zinnias, and some that I had great germination rates with before. This year, I couldn't get 1 in 20 to germinate. I've got seed packs from at least 5 companies in my 4 tier grow stand (over 288 seeds each time) and consistently I got poor germination from only the Territorial seeds. Some of my friends purchased Territorial Seeds and had the same low germtination problem this year. I also complained about not being able to reach them from the Contact Us link on the web site. It goes to a blank page. The response from Stephanie? Their lab had 92% germination and she didn't even comment about not being able to view the Contact Us page. They are either hiding or have their head in a deep, dark place. Either way, I'm finished fighting with them and having them never fixing or acknowledging problems. Poor seed germination, ridiculous shipping costs, and a customer service that won't acknowledge any of this but keep their head in the sand. Good bye Territorial Seed. You can gouge and lie to someone else, until there are no more.
On March 28th, 2012, reeve1 added the following:

They refunded my seed order but that doesn't fix the problems and deception.
On April 10th, 2012, reeve1 added the following:

I've enjoyed their seeds for many years, too. The sad thing is whenever you try to communicate with their customer service, it's as though it doesn't exist. A pleasant girl answers initial emails and then I got passed to Josh. I was never told who Josh is, and he never told me despite two emails that asked He never answered any of my questions and just kept telling me how busy he was. They won't address my question of why the shipping is so obviously over priced for a few seed packs. I'm finally tired of asking and tired of paying exhorbitant prices, so I'm leaving from the side of the sheep and going somewhere else! GOOD BYE Territorial Seed!
Company representative comment on March 28, 2012:
On Mar 28, 2012 8:00 AM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with our company. In regards to the zinnias that you ordered, I assure you that we do germination tests on every lot of seed that we get and our company's standards are higher than the federal germination standards (as Stephany apparently mentioned, we had a 92% germination rate on the variety in quesiton). I have not heard of any other germination problems with our zinnias this year so I am hoping that your case is isolated.

Regarding the "contact us" button on our home page, I just clicked on it and it went straight to the page: http://www.territorialseed.com/contact which has all of our contact information.

I see from your last comment that you were refunded on your order which I am glad to see since we stand behind our products 100%. You are certainly welcome to your opinions but I assure you that we are not hiding, lying, or deceiving as you mention above.

Best regards,

Josh Kirschenbaum

Positive cindystarke
Rockcreek, OR
April 5, 2012
I've ordered both seeds and plants from Territorial Seed every year since I started gardening three years ago. They are wonderful, and their customer service has always been stellar. The Territorial representatives who show up at Portland's garden show every year are super helpful to a beginning gardener, and very willing to offer advice and suggestions. It's very much to my benefit that Territorial is located in Oregon, just a couple hours from me, so the plants that work well for them are likely to work for me as well.

Last year, I ordered tomato and pepper plants. While they were smaller when they arrived than plants I purchased locally, they eventually outperformed many of the other tomatoes that I planted. One of the tomatoes arrived with a broken stem. I called Territorial immediately, and received a replacement within a couple days. The Rocky cucumber seeds they recommended (although quite expensive) were stellar. My other cucumbers suffered from powdery mildew, while the Rockies preformed better for much longer. The fruits were tender and very sweet. I'll be planting only Rockies this year.

I've also had good experiences with seeds ordered from Johnny's, Thompson Morgan, and Irish Eyes potatoes, among others.
Positive oceanart
Cranberry Isles, ME
March 27, 2012
The short version for people just looking for a reputable seed company.
I have ordered from the following companies for years
they all have good prices, customer service and good germination rate.
Johnny's, Kitazawa Seed, Rohrer seeds, Territorial Seed Comp, and Seed Savers Exchange.
Positive taufgardner
American Fork, UT
March 8, 2012
Posted on March 23, 2010, updated March 8, 2012
Posted on February 11, 2010, updated March 23, 2010
Posted on January 25, 2010, updated February 11, 2010
I just placed a seed order and received them promptly, as ordered and in great condition. I chose standard shipping, but got the seeds within a few days of placing the order. I am impressed. Those who squawk about shipping costs have clearly never run a business and had to print catalogs or run shipping departments. Obviously, the shipping cost will be a smaller proportion to the order if one orders more from the one source. For me, I buy a little here and a little there (this year, five catalogs worth) and pay the extra shipping to have the selection and specific varieties I want. My convenience has a cost and I'm willing to bear it. Territorial has thus far exceeded my expectations and I plan to use them again. I will update as I plant and harvest from the seeds.
On February 11th, 2010, taufgardner added the following:

The shipping of my order went so well that I was confident enough to make a second order in the same season, certain that it would arrive ahead of the promised schedule. I was not disappointed. This company does a terrific job of order fulfillment and I will use them again and again and again and again.....The order showed up four days before the promised delivery date. The promised date was impressive enough - 7 business days, but the order came much sooner and was complete and accurate. Everything from seeds to supplies were well packed and in good condition. I am excited for the results and will post them as available. Again, no complaints on shipping costs as I'm sure they offset catalog and handling costs for customers who order onsies and twosies. I'd rather pay a little more for shipping and get the kind of service and quality Territorial has given me.
On March 23rd, 2010, taufgardner added the following:

I made a third order, which I have never done with any other catalog. These guys do such a terrific job of fulfillment and packaging that I was glad to give them more business. Next year, they will be my primary source. I ordered the "Roto Baskets", a little solar powered device that slowly rotates hanging baskets. I LOVE them. They are simple and they work as described. I also LOVE Territorial Seed. My kids would sarcastically ask: "Well, then why don't you marry them?" To which I say: "Where can we go to pick out window treatments and china patterns?" :-)
On March 8th, 2012, taufgardner added the following:

Another good year with Territorial. No complaints at all. Good germination, timely delivery, varieties I wanted. I have not gone wrong with this company. I haven't found their shipping costs to be out of line, especially when lined up with the service quality. You get what you pay for.
Positive jenturk71
Dallas, TX (Zone 8a)
March 8, 2012
I love Territorial Seeds. They're my go-to supplier for my basic seed supply, and I've never been disappointed with the price or quality.
Positive spryng
Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
March 4, 2012
Even though I garden in New England, I continue to order from Territorial because they have a wonderful choice of varieties of both vegetable and flower seeds, the quality of their seeds is high, and because they are so speedy. I always order from several seed catalogues online on the same day. For the last two years, Territorial has been the first order to arrive. This year the order arrived three days after I placed it !
Positive zgtp
Elk Plain, WA
March 3, 2012
I've ordered from territorial for the last six year for summer and overwintering vegetables. I've been very satisfied. Seeds offered excellent germination and end product was exactly as advertised. Best source I've found for overwintering varieties.
Positive sladeofsky
Louisville, KY (Zone 6b)
March 2, 2012
Posted on March 1, 2012, updated March 2, 2012
I was intending to leave a neutral rating for this company beacause I love their products but find their shipping fees ridiculous. I just cancelled an order of about $90 with a shipping fee of about $40. So, I was going to leave a neutral rating until I read this rebuttal to a negative comment on their absurd shipping charges:
"a customer could order seeds, potatoes, blueberry plants and garlic; each of which is sent out separately but are all included in the standard flat fee. You can see in this example how the flat fee of $7.50 would be a bargain.
Tom Johns"
President, Territorial Seed Company
Great! So, charge me $7.50... NOT $37.75
On March 2nd, 2012, sladeofsky changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Chaning my negative to positive because customer service was so very nice and so very helpful. But more needs to be done to make customers aware of shipping fees. Some plants were sold out for the shipping date I wanted, by choosing other dates and by mixing seeds and plants, multiple shipping fees were added. But customer service has been very helpful in letting me streamline my order and bring down the fees.
Company representative comment on March 2, 2012:
On Mar 1, 2012 8:52 PM, Territorial Seed Company responded with:

Hi there, would you mind letting me know what items were on your order that caused the $37.75 shipping so I can look into it? Thank you in advance.

On Mar 2, 2012 9:16 AM, Territorial Seed Company added:

Thanks very much for the update and sorry for any confusion! Happy gardening :)

Negative oboecat
Rusk, TX (Zone 8a)
February 20, 2012
I agree with ALL the others about shipping cost. Just ordered seeds I cannot find anywhere else and was shocked by the cost. Won't be ordering from anymore until shipping costs come down.
Negative BLE
Huntington, WV (Zone 6b)
January 25, 2012
Today, I had about 1/2 of my 2012 order entered online (mid-morning on a Wednesday) when a webpage with this message appeared when I tried to add another item to my "cart".

"The website is temporarily unavailable as we prepare to go live with our brand-new website to enhance your shopping experience! We'll be back online as soon as possible. Please call Customer Service to place your order at 1-800-626-0866 or email info@territorialseed.com. Thank you for your patience!"

No warning was given ahead of time that their site would suddenly NOT be available. It would seem simple that they could inform customers buying items on their site that the site would be unavailable in xx minutes or hours, or the site would be going down on a certain day.

Last year, In January 2011, when I bought online from them, there were a couple of seed types that I really wanted to get started early inside. But when I got my order later, I found that the 2 items I wanted early were "on back-order". Their website had not shown that the items were not in stock when I was ordering the items.

I like their products, but I think they need to do a better job communicating with their customers buying online, especially when I think that the communication would be easy to do.
Positive gweigel
Mechanicsburg, PA
December 26, 2011
This is one of my favorite seed companies. I like the varieties offered, the prices are fair, and I've always received what I've ordered quickly. No problems whatsoever. All seeds germinated well. One of the best companies for vegetable gardeners from my experience.
Neutral HeidiNH
Brentwood, NH (Zone 6a)
May 12, 2011
I just sent this comment to Terrritorial Seeds, and my email form the Yahoo! address was blocked by Spamcop - good on them for using a spam blocker but not on a customer! I wanted to comment on the ridiculous shipping costs for seeds.

"I just wanted to say that I love your selections and unusual seeds, which is why I order Tromboncino and Dragon's Tongue beans, among other things from you, no one else carries them. That said, 7.95 is a stupid amount of money for shipping two packets of seeds, that should have been a couple of dollars at the most - surely you can make some accommodation for shipping small, lightweight items? The shipping was more than the seeds! Tough economy and all, I know but that applies to all of us...
Positive westhill
Readsboro, VT
May 6, 2011
I just received my order of an evergreen huckleberry plant and two seaberry plants. Despite the fact that UPS took a week to get them to me, bashed the heck out of the package, and then delivered them to the wrong address, they ultimately arrived in EXCELLENT, healthy condition. It is a testament to Territorial's quality as well as their packing job. The plants look strong and healthy. I have ordered seeds from them in the past and have always had excellent results with that too. Great company, they are on my list of companies I love to deal with. Thanks Territorial!
Positive firinn
Eugene, OR (Zone 8b)
April 26, 2011
Territorial Seeds has been my go-to source for seeds since I began gardening in the Pacific NW about 12 years ago. While their prices are somewhat higher than those of many seed producers around the country, the quality of the seeds is unmatched anywhere. For years, I would do multiple seed plantings (as you must do with most seeds) and invariably, I would either end up with far more starts than I could use or having to pinch off many many additional starts. Now, with Territorial's seeds, I plant one seed per pot and get nearly 100% germination rate. The seeds and plants, in my experience, are unmatched in quality. I even have some seeds that are 5-7 years old from Territorial that I planted this spring, and their germination rate is equivalent to what I've found from new seeds from other mail order companies and off-the-shelf seeds.

Additionally, their customer service has been phenomenal. I have always found them to be friendly, helpful, and available for advice and information.

I can't say enough nice things about these guys.

I should note that their catalogue prices for non-seed items are really high, though. They find high quality items, but seem to mark them up from retail, so get your ideas from the back of the catalogue, then go find these things elsewhere. :)
Negative Gardener5b
Kansas City, MO
April 25, 2011
I intended to place an order with this company. Upon reaching the checkout screen, I found that my $13.10 order for three seed packets would be charged an additional $7.50 for shipping, insurance, and other fees.

This is exorbitant. I have spent around $700 on my garden and orchard so far this year alone, and intend to spend a similar amount next year. I notified Territorial by e-mail that they had lost a potential customer.

Rather than express any concern about the loss of a potential repeat customer, I received the following cut and paste e-mail in response:

"I'm sorry, but let me share what our president wrote as a reply to explain shipping charges, just so you know how we operate, and we totally understand about small orders, but do not have anything in place for a different rate at this time.
**************************************************************************************

Each year we spend quite a bit of time evaluating different ways to implement the charges for shipping, handling, and insurance. For the vast majority of our customers, the flat fee system that we use is the most advantageous for them.

You can purchase one packet of seed or 1001 packets of seed and the shipping, handling and insurance fee will be the same. Furthermore, Territorial offers a wide range of gardening products, which ship at several different times throughout the season.

For example, a customer could order seeds, potatoes, blueberry plants and garlic; each of which is sent out separately but are all included in the standard flat fee. You can see in this example how the flat fee of $7.50 would be a bargain.
Tom Johns
President, Territorial Seed Company
Most sincerely,
Lori T @ TSC"
Positive dmmason
Fairburn, GA
April 8, 2011
Posted on July 12, 2009, updated April 8, 2011
I saw a most unusual plant on their website and ordered it - an Escargot Begonia. The price was perfect (although shipping a little high) but had never seen it in a store before, so ordered it. Well, the shipment was sent right out, but what I got instead was a Fuschia plant. My delivery was on a Saturday and I had to wait until Monday to call them. To my delight I was told that I could keep the Fuschia plant and they would immediately ship out my Escargo Begonia. As you can imagine I was extremely delighted and thought I will definitely order from them again. I immediately did as they told me and re-potted the Fuschia and sat back and waited on the Escargo Begonia. It came within the week and all was well. NOT. It hasn't been 3 months and it appears that BOTH plants are dying. I am very dissappointed. I have never seen plants that have died this fast and both from the same company. Even with watering, the leaves have dried up on both plants like they have been in the hot, hot sun all day, which hasn't been the case. I bought another begonia at the same time from a local company and it is thriving. Needless to say, I am quite dissappointed in my order from Territorial.
On April 8th, 2011, dmmason changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Although this happened back in 2009 (found it again while cleaning out some e-mails) I wanted to make sure that it was noted that Territorial has great customer service. This is my note back to them after their response to my original comment.

> Thank you so much. I received back the refund and appreciate that.
> Based on your quick response I may try to order it again as I still have not seen it anywhere else. It is such a very interesting plant (Escargo Begonia). Again thank you so much for your quick response and based upon your customer service, I will indeed order from you in the future.
Neutral obeltane
Flourtown, PA
March 29, 2011
I marked this as Neutral even though it feels pretty Negative to me. I placed my order January 10 for 4 packets of seeds as well as potatoes and onion plants. The seeds arrived fairly quickly except for the Graffiti cauliflower seeds. I ordered from Territorial rather than from the other million companies whose catalogs I get because they offered the Graffiti variety of cauliflower. I was not happy when my seeds arrived minus the cauliflower. Generally a company will tell you that something is out of stock and offer either a replacement or cancellation. I emailed their CS mid-February and they said they expected their supply to come in mid-March. Since the indoor planting date for me is Feb. 15, I had to go to a garden center and buy whatever variety they offered. The good news is, germination of the other seeds was 100%. I'm getting a little worried because my onions are supposed to go in this weekend.
Positive Starwolf13
Westlake, OH
February 19, 2011
I have ordered from Territorial Seeds for several years, and have always had good experiences with them. I like their wide selection. My orders have always arrived quickly, and there are plentiful seeds in the packets. I fully intend to keep ordering from them.

I compared their overall costs with other seed provider catalogs, and since I tend to order a lot of seeds at a time, their shipping costs combined with their seed packet costs appeared to me to be in line with the others.