The scoop on 'Willhite Seed Inc.'

Willhite Seed Inc.

Poolville, Texas 76487 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-828-1840
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive jasonj
Leary, TX
January 25, 2013
I have ordered from Willhite for 10+ years. They have always shipped the correct order and I received it promptly. I have had a couple delayed shipments, but I generally order around the first part of January so a delay is no issue. The negativity on here surprises me. This is a great company with a great product. The watermelon selection is especially good.. Goldbar yellow squash and Seneca zucchini are top choices for me.. I am thankful Willhite also sells a good selection of southern pea. Zipper Cream and Quickpick are yearly standards
Negative cooliedad
ROVER, AR
September 2, 2012
I have raised commerical vegatables for well over twenty years. this was the first and last time I will try Willhite seed company. I PURCHASED over $500.00. Worth of seeds. I purchased the same varieties that I have grown for years and had the worst stands ever. I purchased two types of leaf lettuce, planted 3/4 of a pound of each varieties in the spring only 22 plants sprouted. Planted all the remaining seed two weeks ago. NO PLANTS. Planted 10 lbs of beets in the spring, NO PLANTS. Planted 5lb of sweet corn in the spring, plants got knee high, NO CORN. Sorry we can't blame this on the weather. I replanted with seed I bought from a local dealer and had a bumper crop. There were several other crops that failed to produce, or very poor production. I ordered EGG plant seed, they were on back order until late summer way to late to plant for a crop. I PRODUCE LESS CROPS WITH THEIR SEED THAN ANY I HAVE EVER PURCHASED ANY PLACE ELSE. I purchased the seed because of the price, I will never do that again. Saving a few bucks cost me several thousands.
Positive whistech
Spring, TX
August 28, 2012
I don't know what other people are complaining about. I placed an order on 05/Aug/2012 and received it on 08/Aug/2012. Thank You.
Positive southernbred
Lehigh Acres, FL
August 4, 2012
After trying other companies, I ordered from Willhite. The service was great and the seeds were very well packaged. It was great getting the free guide for seed planting. It took me only about 4days to recieve my order, here in S.W. Florida.
Positive kafka00
Alexandria, LA (Zone 8b)
March 24, 2012
Posted on December 17, 2010, updated March 24, 2012
Received seeds quickly about 5 days from when I ordered online. Willhite was one of several companies to carry the type of dwarf patio tomato called Small Fry that I need for my climate. Price was good - 100 seeds in packet vs 10, 15 or 20 elsewhere for a few cents more. I'll have to see about germination rate.
On March 24th, 2012, kafka00 added the following:

Germination rate was good, plants did very well, lots of tomatoes.
Positive lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b)
March 5, 2012
I ordered some squash seeds from this company. The seeds came quickly and I was satisfied. They have a large assortment of melon seeds to pick from.
Negative lotsaweeds
Navasota, TX
February 14, 2012
I placed my seed order Feb1, 2012. As of today, the 14th, it hasn't arrived. I looked at my credit card statement and I was charged 10 days ago. I placed a call to the company, and a lady curtly told me they were behind schedule, but my order would be going out "tomorrow"--and no apology for the delay, or the fact my credit card was charged 2 weeks ago. I wish I had read these reviews before I ordered. Won't happen again.
Positive fatfrog47
Panama, OK (Zone 7a)
January 16, 2012
I ordered pea and okra seeds for the first time from them last year. I was amazed at the germination rate and quality of the plants that grew. We had a good crop of both even though we had a drought issue. I will order from them again.
Neutral rwmcdaniel
Beaumont, TX
April 7, 2011
Posted on March 29, 2011, updated April 7, 2011
Posted on March 26, 2011, updated March 29, 2011
I placed a small order on February 21 and have not received it yet. It has been almost 5 weeks. I have emailed them about 5 times with no response. When you call, the phone is usually busy but I was able to get through last week. I called right at 8:00 am and a lady answered. I gave her my order # and she said that it would be going out that day. I live in Texas and mail is usually only 2 - 3 days at most between cities. Still no seeds. If they were honest about being behind on orders, I might do business with them again. If they can't at least be honest, respond to emails, answer their phone, etc., I think that I will do business elsewhere in the future. I'm really disappointed with them. I would suggest looking around for another vendor before buying from Willhite Seed
On March 29th, 2011, rwmcdaniel changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

The Operations Manager for Willhite called me today to explain that they were behind and that my order had been sent to the wrong address. He assured me that a replacement order would go out tomorrow. He seemed to be sincere, so I am accepting his word as the truth. I am hoping to get my order within a few days. I will provide another update at that time
On April 7th, 2011, rwmcdaniel added the following:

I received my seeds two days after talking to the Ops Mgr. He shipped them UPS next day at no extra charge. It was a small order, so they probably lost money on it. He was very nice and explained that after the middle of February they started falling behind on their order processing. Once that happened, everything snowballed. They were spending a large amount of their time responding to customers that hadn't received their orders yet, causing them to fall further behind. He said that the best time to order is in December or January. My guess is that their order processing is not automated enough to be able to handle the sudden rush of business that occurs in February and March. The disappointing thing is that they don't respond to email and you can't get through to them on the phone either. I only got a response after I emailed the trade groups that they belong to and explained my situation. I got an immediate reply from both of those groups and a call later that day from Willhite. The trade groups are listed on the Willhite company information page of this website. If you don't get your seeds and you still don't get a reply after a while, try emailing the trade groups. Having said all of this, I will try again next year, but I will be ordering in December. Good Luck...
Negative bloombloom
Newton Falls, OH
April 1, 2011
I ordered my seeds on March 11 and sent an email on the 29, still no seed and no response. guess Im glad to know I'm not alone. I sent another email today, nothing so far.
Negative Sam_21
La Grange, TX (Zone 8b)
March 21, 2011
I have use Willhite in the past. They have a great selection of watermelon seed, unfortunately their customer responsiveness and delivery fall way short of expectations. Last year, after a long wait, we determined that my order was sent to the wrong address (albiet to their credit they resent the order to the correct address). This year I placed an order a few weeks ago. I've been trying to contact them over the past 2 weeks without success. The telephone line either comes back busy or rings unanswered. In the meantime I have had to order additional seed from another company. Hopefully, this company has not gone out of business but at this time I would not recommend Willhite Seed Co.
Negative djlee
Fouke, AR
March 17, 2011
I have used this company twice so far but will not use them again. Shipping took over 3 weeks on both occasions and when I called for an update on my first order the woman was very rude, assuring me that it was not their fault that 2 days of snow in Texas had caused them to be 3 weeks behind in shipments..
Neutral pepperpro
Dallas, TX
March 12, 2011
Posted on March 9, 2011, updated March 12, 2011
Placed an order with these guys 2 months ago. My card was charged the same day. 10 days went by, no contact from the company what so ever. I contact them 3 times, no reply! After the 4th time, someone got back to me with a note "We are running behind on orders" and my order would ship soon, no apology. Well I finally received my order 5 weeks after I placed it and 1/2 the order was missing. No explanation, nothing, not even a note with the order. I contacted them a couple times about my order. No reply! This company is so unprofessional and customer service is nonexistent. My first and last order to these guys!
On March 12th, 2011, pepperpro changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Finally received the rest of my order. 2 months and 2 weeks after the order was placed.
Positive Maridian88
Paradise, TX
March 1, 2011
Posted on January 5, 2005, updated March 1, 2011
I am a market farmer who has been doing business with Willhite for going on 3 years now, & can only say good things about them. They are tops in customer service & product quality. I do not live far from them, & most days, I can place an order in the morning, & pick it up that same afternoon. And their prices can't be beat. In most cases, you can buy enough OP seed to plant an acre for the same price as a couple packets from the local garden center. I always look for seed from them before I check anywhere else.
On March 1st, 2011, Maridian88 added the following:

Just picked up my order from Willhite & I am pleased as always. But just wanted to say that for all you folks trying to call in they are BUSY!!! The phones are ringing off the wall, there are literally thousands of orders stacked up & waiting to be processed & every 5 minutes a local walks in needing $5 worth of seed & $100 worth of gardening advice. Please be patient with them, they are working hard to take care of you. And shame on me for waiting until the last minute to place a seed order! Willhite has good seed & great people.
Positive eremmele
February 11, 2011
Willhite Seed Inc. has good quality seed for a great price.
Positive dreaves
Hutto, TX (Zone 8b)
December 8, 2010
Ordered some tomato seed, Phoenix Hybrid, online on Sunday. The seeds were in the mail on Monday and I received them by Wednesday. I was given a quick, courteous reply when I emailed a question about the order, as well. Willhite was the only place online I could easily find as a source for the seeds, since they seem to be a newer variety. The price wasn't cheap, but it was lot's cheaper than waiting to buy plants from a nursery.
Positive sunnybritefarm
Naalehu, HI
July 18, 2010
I've ordered from Willhite many times over the years. They've changed a lot through the years as to their offerings, but I've never had a problem. I'll still order certain things from them. They still offer a wide selection of melon and watermelon seed. Great stuff!
Positive vschlaff
Dexter, MI
June 22, 2010
I ordered vegtable and fruit seeds. Everything came quick and all of the seeds germinated. I will buy from them again.
Negative facepirate
Gibson, LA
June 20, 2010
WTF, this company sent me a subsitute bean, not a phone call or e-mail to ask me if i wanted that bean, a trash bean used for ground cover, feeding cows and deer. i orderd pinkeye puple hull peas, they sent early scarlet peas and said that was a close comparison, are u kidding me. my dad never looked at the envoice, sence we thought we got what we orderd, and went to planting. I came home and saw a tag that had been stapled to the info tag stating they had sub the peas. well i went to their web site and they didn't have them listed for sell, had to come too this web sight to get info on the peas, just got F'th, now we have to wait for them to break the groung so i can plow the dame beans up,hope they will make good when i call tomorrow, don't think so, I will have to eat 5lbs of trash seeds, will keep ya'll posted
Positive jgandrg02
Coppell, TX
May 26, 2010
I was very PLEASED with this company. They don't have a lot to offer but they had what I was looking for and couldn't find elsewhere. I ordered on late monday and received today in the mail...Thanks
Positive sandy_8b
Dallas, TX (Zone 8b)
April 30, 2010
On April 17, 2010 ordered a group of 16 seeds from Wilhite's, received the complete order on April 21st!

I have found the folk's there VERY nice and helpful. And the seeds germinate at great percentages. This is my third year to order from them.

Seems to me that this is a small seed company, in a small Texas town with family employees, who have old time integrity.

They have been friendly on phone and when was missing planting date last fall, rushed my order out the next day.

Give them another try.

Negative able2farm
Fayetteville, GA
March 18, 2010
I placed my second order last week. The order- taker was as child who was very professional. However, I placed 5 orders to different companies that same day and all of them arrived within a few days, so I called to inquire about my Wilhite order to make sure it had been shipped and to order some additional seeds. The woman I spoke with was short, not helpful and was clearly working with out-dated systems for tracking orders because all she could say was that it "was across the street in shipping." When I asked if it had been shipped (because I was going to add to it) she replied, "I have no idea. As I said, it's across the street," and she hung up. I called back to tell her she was not helpful and that I had intended to add to my order and she did not help me do that. She did not apologize and obviously did not care about my order or my feedback. I later checked my records to find that last year I placed an order which just never got sent.

I can understand a company not having the capital to stay up-to-date with order tracking systems, but they should at least try to make up for the inconvenience in courtesy and customer service. They failed all the way around with my order and I will order elsewhere from now on.

Negative lt659
Kingsbury, TX
March 9, 2010
I ordered more than a week ago (March 1) and living here in Texas, thought I'd get the seeds in a just a few days (as in years past). Now, more than a week later, I called, and found out they had not even shipped! The young lady was unconcerned and never even offered an apology. I spoke with the owner and she made it clear that snow had delayed them (I ordered some others from Harris the same day and got them last Thursday), and I would be responsible for any expedited shipping. I told them they might want to post their estimated shipping dates on the internet-to which she did not respond.

This threw our entire planting schedule off. I canceled the order, and asked for a refund to my credit card. I hope they process it quickly. I'll pay more and move to other companies. Wilhite does not not appear to care.
Positive Misterbaby
December 31, 2009
This was my first order with the company. I wasn't going to order from them because of the negative ratings they've received, but they offer a fantastic selection of hard-to-find melon seeds, so I decided to chance it. I ordered 6 items on Monday night at 7:00 and 5 of the six arrived in Wednesday's mail--a testament to Wilhite and the Postal Service. They didn't charge me for the unfilled item. The seeds were nicely packaged and generous. Misterbaby.
Positive realbirdlady
Austin, TX (Zone 8b)
June 25, 2009
Excellent order response - I ordered on the web on Saturday, and had the seeds Wednesday. Good selection for the second season planting we need here in south Texas, when many seed companies are only selling their leftovers from the spring. Willhite doesn't carry some of the newest, trendy vegetables, but offers tried and true varieties of such as blackeyed peas, butter beans, and okra.
Negative Washau
Grant, AL
March 24, 2009
I ordered seeds alomst a month ago with the promise that they would be in contact with me. That was a joke. They never attempted to contact me in any way. I've repeatedly tried to call only to get a busy signal, plus I've e-mailed them on numerous occasions. The last e-mail was with an ultimatum that they get off their rears and send me my seeds by a certain date or I would and will take out adds in local and national publications expressing my (and others obviously) displeasure. I'm also going to contact the Texas Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau. Their customer service is a joke.
Negative jackpate
Bandera, TX
March 24, 2009
This company is a complete rip off. I am filing a complaint with the Texas Attorney General. They enforce Internet fraud very strongly in Texas and these guys need to go down. If your CC gets charged you need to call your CC company and report the mail fraud.

Here is the site to get the information to the Attorney Gen. to file a complaint.

Negative farmnmike
Rockdale, TX
March 23, 2009
Willhite Seed Co.- Does anyone know the status of Willhite Seed Co. I placed an online order and have not had any response. The phone is busy on both of their published numbers and they are not responding to emails. Curious. They have been dependable in the past. Time is running out to get seed to the ground on some things.
Negative relsek
Orlando, FL
March 19, 2009
Willhite has been completely unresponsive. I ordered online twelve days ago. When I try to call to check on the status of my order, both phone lines are always busy. I have emailed twice to check the order and not been reponded to. I'll not be using this company again.
Negative Tink2U
Rockford, IL
February 22, 2009
I found this company thru an article in Mother Earth News. Since I trust them, I felt this company must be reliable too. Boy was I wrong!! I ordered by internet Jan 31, and my credit card was charged Feb 4. I still have not received anything from them, yet orders I placed to other companies after their order have already arrived! I have emailed them twice, and gotton no response. I have tried to call several times and the phone is always busy. I am going to ask for a refund, and order from someone else. I just hope I get the order before it is too late to start plants for this spring!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY...they ignore their customers!!
On March 7th, 2009, Tink2U added the following:

Update: I have been able to get through to this company via phone, and my emails have all been ignored. I did, however, finally receive my seeds....ONE MONTH LATER. What lousy service! I sure won't order from them again!!!

On March 7th, 2009, Tink2U added the following:

Sorry, that should have been UN-able to get through to them on the phone. It is always busy (off the hook?) I received the seeds on March 2.
Neutral MarkP
Missoula, MT (Zone 4a)
February 3, 2009
Always have had good experiences with Willhite!!!
On May 5th, 2009, MarkP changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

.....except this season. Absolutely NO communication! Internet-NO! They sent the order, slowly, and three seed packs were missing with no explanation. Write a letter asking about missing packs and receive a notice that credit card was credited and seeds out. Neutral because in the past, had no problems.
Positive LouC
Desoto, TX (Zone 8a)
January 24, 2009
First time to order with Wilhite and I am very pleased. The packaging is better than most and the onion sets are perfect.
Can't wait for Spring
Positive Buntyn
Jacksonville, FL
November 26, 2008
Gardening for 38 years and this is the best seed company I'ver ever ordered from. Pricing , packaging , selection, and speed on delivery are all excellent. I will be be back !!
Positive carwinew
Millsap, TX
April 20, 2008
Purchased seeds both mail order and will call as their facility is very close. Doubled my seed order on 1 item as they considered the germination rate substandard. The seed pkg listed the term also. My seeds were fine. Great source for all kinds of melons.
Positive JoshCooper
Joaquin, TX
December 28, 2007
I ordered a large group of seeds in December and received everything in just about 4 days. Fast Service.
Negative reubanks
Round Rock, TX
April 12, 2007
I ordered seeds through their website and received an email stating they would notify me shortly about my order. After waiting 9 days without a word, I sent an email asking for order status. After 3 days of no reply, I called them. The customer service rep stated my order did not contain an address and was the reason the order was not shipped. They had an email address as well as a phone number, however, so the least they could have done is notify me of status. This company had no apologies, and immediately hung up when I canceled my order. Will never order from them again.
Negative YUTAROU
TOKYO
Japan
March 16, 2007
Seeds are too old,few new seed .
Old seeds usually contain diseases.
It will be disease vagetables in your field.
Positive JDWHIT
Andrews, TX
February 16, 2007
My order was a little slow--but this was during probably their busiest time of the year. Good seeds, and a freebie thrown in. The place to go for melon seeds, and a good selection of other vegetables that do well in Texas and similar climates.
Positive ctryrazorback
Texarkana, TX
January 21, 2007
I have ordered from Willhite Seed for several years and have found them to be very economical seed , yet at the same time a very high quality seed. I especially like their yellow straight neck squash(Goldbar), zucchini(Seneca) and purple hull pea(Quickpick and Mississippi Purple) varieties. Orders are sent promptly and accurately.
Positive TexanSue
Stratford, TX
July 13, 2006
I have ordered from Willhite Seeds for close to 15 years. We have been very pleased with the seeds and service. Only one time did they "lose" our order and were very helpful at correcting the problem. We take vegetables to a farmers market so we want good results the first time we plant. We can buy many more seed for the same price a few would cost us elsewhere.