The scoop on 'Trees of Antiquity (formerly Sonoma Antique Apple Nursery)'

Trees of Antiquity (formerly Sonoma Antique Apple Nursery)

20 Wellsona Rd
Paso Robles, California 93446 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive swimslowly
Polo, IL
May 14, 2014
We purchased 13 fruit trees from Trees of Antiquity for our mini-orchard this Spring and all appear very healthy with excellent, intact, root structures. All the trees have already broke dormancy and look great. We've had some bad experiences with online nurseries, but Trees of Antiquity sells great products. We will certainly buy more from them in the future!
Positive cheesesauce
Seminole, AL
March 26, 2014
Received 3 apple trees from this company. Absolutely beautiful trees; large root systems and well-branched. Started to leaf out only a few days after being planted. Information with the trees was helpful and informative and I appreciate that they grow organic as well.
Positive Moltolive
Santa Clarita, CA
March 8, 2012
I made a large order from Trees of Antiquity and another mail order company. The trees I received from Trees of Antiquity were phenomenal in quality, size, health, and packaging. I have never ever received such excellent quality plants by mail before. Sadly, the other place I ordered from was the status quo of mail order and, in comparison to Trees of Antiquity, I see how inferior the material is for the price paid.

I will always order from Trees of Antiquity from now on.
Positive Pitcom
Avondale, PA (Zone 6b)
March 5, 2012
Over the past few years, I have been expanding my home garden to include fruit trees. In that time, I have ordered from several reputable vendors that I found here at DG. But after some disappointing specimens, and a few headaches, I spent a great deal of time researching vendors. I had heard about Trees of Antiquity over at gardenweb and decided to look them up over here at Dave's Garden. I was blown away by all of the wonderful, positive comments, that customer's had to say about this company. Last fall, I placed my order for 8 apple trees from trees of Antiquity, scheduled for spring delivery. They have arrived, and I must say they are by far the largest, most well formed trees I have ever purchased online. I can only hope that this is an indication of how well they will grow. When I decided to add more items to my order, Neil responded by e-mail within mere minutes of my initial inquiry. I was more than impressed with their level of customer support. I am glad to have stumbled upon this great vendor, and eagerly look forward to the next ordering season.
Positive tdthompson
Chapin, SC
February 8, 2012
Just received a fruit tree order, and was VERY impressed with the size of the trees [all pears]. UPS beat the box up pretty well, but the trees were so well packaged that there was no problem with any of the trees.
I was so happy with the shipment, that I just sent in another order for a different variety of trees [all plums this time].
Positive sascwatch
August 22, 2011
I have ordered twice from them. At the beginning of the year. (I can't remember when they arrived but there were no issues with time.) Two different locations. Both good size orders. Both orders arrived perfectly and the trees were more than excellent and packaged well. This place is like a dream come true for organic growers looking for old world genetics. I can't recommend them enough. Positive X100 would be my real rating.
Positive SanJoseFool
San Jose, CA
April 12, 2011
I ordered 5 bare root trees about two months ago from Trees of Antiquity. They are all leafing out now and looking good.

1 Plum (4 branches)
2 Figs (came as whips 4')
1 Persimmon (whip 4')
1 Pear (3 well balanced branches on it)

All the trees were cut to 4'. They have a decent caliper size and have not needed any staking despite getting some occasional winds where they are located.

Placed order online at night, was processed the next morning, received the day after (San Jose, CA). Highly recommend.
Positive gopals
Sidney, TX
March 18, 2011
Very positive. Most pleasant experience I've had after buying from some 6 or 8 nurseries this season. Ordered two trees, one was fine, the other I recieved was a jujube tree that had a severely damaged root system. I called the company and immediately they sent me a replacement at no charge, without me even asking them for one. The replacement was excellent. They have a great selection and are very friendly with excellent customer service. No having to beg for a refund or replacement like other inferior companies. Very highly recommended.
Positive RLPearce
Maupin, OR
February 28, 2011
I recently called Trees of Antiquity to ask about what seemed an unreasonable shipping quote for a single tree on their website. During the very nice conversation I had the gentleman explained that there was a computer glich and the shipping charge shown for a single tree was indeed incorrect. I ended up buying a snow apple tree and although it wasn't cheap (almost $50.00 with shipping) it arrived only 3 or 4 days later and I couldn't be happier with the tree, about 5' tall, nicely branched and shaped, and exactly as described on the website. These folks had received a nice recommendation from Cummins Nursery in New York, and I completely agree. Great folks to do business with.
Positive rasputinj
Simi Valley, CA
February 13, 2011
I have purchased a Santa Rosa, Gold Kist Apricot, Blueberries and Anna Apples from them. They provide excellent bareroot trees and blueberries. I had an issue with my Santa Rosa where it was not a Santa Rosa but a Mariposa and they sent me a Santa Rosa Bare Root replacement 3 years later. Excellent customer service.
Positive AxillaryBud
Thousand Oaks, CA
February 12, 2011
Neil Collins and crew, in my view, are the gold standard. The consistently large caliper of their bareroot trees, the size of the rootballs, the amount of balanced scaffolding in the branches and the overall health of the trees are unsurpassed by anyone, even John Bunker of FedCo Trees and Dr. James Cummins of Cummins Nursery, who are among the finest nurserymen in the country. I have a rare and heirloom fruit orchard with more than 500 trees and vines, and a full 25% of those began as bareroot stock from Trees of Antiquity or Sonoma Antique Apple Nursery. That's because Neil offers more than 150 heirloom apple varieties alone! That may be only half of what Ron and Suzanne Joyner of Big Horse Creek Farm offer (see my post on their incredible selection), but more than double what anyone else can give you. And, to be fair, most of Neil's trees are not one-year whips, like most of BHCF's, but rather well-developed two-year-olds with advanced branching. And that's important, because that puts YOU a year ahead. After nearly ten years of dealing with more than two dozen specialty nurseries, I believe that, in terms of overall point total (number of varieties, quality of trees, and service), Trees of Antiquity is the number one mail-order fruit tree nursery in the nation.
Positive bobsorel
Ojai, CA
February 12, 2011
Ordered from these folks for the first time this year. Really great people doing good work preserving old fruit lines. Family run.
Ordered 12 fruit trees and bushes and took a nice drive to their pick up point 3 hrs. north. What great plants! Very large healthy root systems, tall thick plants, great feathered scaffold branches. My new favorite nursery!! Best online plants that I've ever ordered. Good communication. I highly recommend this nursery.
Positive mrs_colla
Posted on February 11, 2010, updated March 4, 2010
Posted on January 5, 2010, updated February 11, 2010
Posted on February 6, 2008, updated January 5, 2010
A+++++
I ordered 5 apple trees and they arrived here within days.
They were packed very nicely, wet paperchips around the bare roots, gently tied together with a rope. Not one broken branch, nothing pruned for the sake of fitting in a box.
The trees have very good roots, a lot of little feeder roots, they are of a perfect caliber, beautifully pruned to a workable frame and with buds visible.
I am sure they are going to love it here when they open their buds in a month or so.
Not only is the collection bigger and better than any other nursery I know, they have antique varieties and grow a lot of the trees organically.

Couldn't be happier, I will order again very soon!!

On February 8th, 2008, mrs_colla added the following:

I asked Neil for a list of heirloom apples that would do well in my area of medium chill hours, take care of cross pollination and is organic.
He gave me a list the next day with 30some trees!!!

They go out of their way to help customers and spread the love for heirloom trees, organic and sustainable orcharding.

I love this nursery!!!

I am putting in an apple orchard and can't wait to order 50 trees from them!

Thanks Trees Of Antiquity!!

CC
On January 6th, 2009, mrs_colla added the following:

4 More fruit trees planted today! Thank you for the wonderful trees. They are perfectly branched, trained perfectly and they have great roots.
I couldn't be happier, definately the best trees in the industry!!
( I have about 60 fruit trees, and these are by far the best!)
On January 10th, 2009, mrs_colla added the following:

2 More superb apple trees! This company is at its best, all the time! I will not buy anywhere else, after I grew accustomed to this kind of quality and service!

Thanks Neil for taking my call, your accesability is phenomenal!
Christie
On January 5th, 2010, mrs_colla added the following:

I was looking for a particular tree, only I didn't know which one it was. I emailed the good people at the nursery to ask their advise about my apple dilemma's.
They got back to me immediately, and Neil called me back to see if there was anything else I needed.
My two apples arrived here today, in super state as always.
I am so happy with my new apples, I am a true fan!
On February 11th, 2010, mrs_colla added the following:

The wonderful apple trees keep coming my way, and it will never be enough... :-)
I love this nursery, they have the best trees money can buy, a great selection, customer service like the good old days and fair prices.

On March 4th, 2010, mrs_colla added the following:

I find it important for a nursery to keep up with great quality, and this nursery never lets me down, always great trees, shipped fast and packed very well.

On March 9th, 2010, mrs_colla added the following:

Thank you for another great Apple tree!
On February 2nd, 2011, mrs_colla added the following:

3 More healthy trees; 1 pear, 1 cherry and 1 fig. This nursery has THE BEST choice, the biggest choice and the most beautiful trees.
I look forward to the trees so much each year!
Neil is very approachable and calls you back the same day, or emails, whatever the way is you contact them.
I am a BIG fan!
Positive OrgnicHomestead
Tuckasegee, NC (Zone 6a)
December 30, 2010
Posted on December 30, 2010, updated December 30, 2010
Highly recommended A+++

I purchased 27 fruit trees between '09 and '10 from Trees of Antiquity (TOA). The trees recieved from TOA had excellent root systems and scaffold balance. Their trees are budded on a MM111 rootstock. This is one of the best semi-dwarf rootstocks available. The MM111 have excellent root anchorage, scaffold balance, and are adapted to a wide range of soils. I had a 500 fruit tree orchard in Michigan and the MM111 trees were outstanding overall.

TOA's customer service is prompt and their knowledge of fruit tree science is excellent. They have carefully researched the old heirloom varieties and have selected the best in quality. The trees I planted in '09 grew 24 - 36 inches in the first year, which is excellent by industry standards.

My personal soil formula here includes using Monrovia mycorrhizae custom soil ammendment, bone meal, mushroom compost, rotten cow manure (chemical free), and I spray the foilage with seaweed solution.

For the serious organic gardeners, I would recommend the book titled "The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardist" by Michael Philips.
On December 30th, 2010, OrgnicHomestead added the following:

I forgot to mention that I use garden lime for pH adjustment.
Positive dirtygum
High Bridge, WI
January 31, 2010
What a wonderful nursery!!
I can't say enough good things about this mail order nursery. They have an extraordinary selection of antique organically grown fruit trees. I ordered 8 trees total from them. They all arrived beautifully packaged, Super healthy and green, and are thriving in my yard. Shipping prices are a little high, but you get what you pay for, and All of my trees are in excellent condition!!
Positive Misterbaby
May 2, 2009
This is my second year of trading with these folks. Although their stock is somewhat pricey, their selection and quality justify the few extra dollars. Also, their website is highly informative and easy to use. This is a fine company.
Positive grandpa_boris
Palo Alto, CA
March 27, 2009
ordered a fruit tree that is available from very few other vendors. received prompt email updates on the delivery expectations. the tree was meticulously packaged and in a very good shape. it's been slower to "wake up" than some other trees i bought this year, but it's definitely alive.
Positive Jake1
Middleboro, MA
March 23, 2009
I ordered 3 trees and 6 bushes from TOA in November. They came in last Wednesday 3/18 and we planted them on Saturday 3/21. They were shipped in a tall and slim box and were well tied up. The bag of shredded paper around the roots was still keeping the roots wet after shipping cross country. On the invoice they stated "crop failure" on one of the berry bushes and the charges were deducted properly. The trees were all 3 ft tall with 1/2" to 3/4" trunks. 1 was feathered and the others had no branches. All the gooseberry, raspberries and blackberries were about 1 ft tall and had buds already. The currant bushes were cut down to 1 ft and had thick 1" trunks and already had buds. We are overall very pleased.
Positive ChiarinaPerfume
Los Gatos, CA
March 6, 2009
After some bad experiences with a popular mail order fruit tree nursery, I decided to take a chance on Trees of Antiquity and am very glad I did! Four trees were purchased as a Christmas gift for my brother to plant in our family owned orchard. When they arrived (at the perfect time for planting here) we were pleased to see how carefully they'd been packaged for shipping and that each tree was strongly rooted, supple and that the trunks were all somewhat over the listed caliper size. We soon agreed that we'd be ordering more stock from them in the future, including pre-ordering a half dozen Frantoio olives for the 2010 planting season, since they already sold out for 2009!
Positive IanB
Boulder, CO
April 27, 2008
I ordered three pears (on OHxF 333) and one quince from ToA this winter. They arrived just as promised, and were large, healthy trees (prob. 5/8" in diameter and 3 1/2' tall). All are now budding out. I would not hesitate to order from them again.
Positive Assorted
Brownsville, TX
March 22, 2008
They provide a tracking number. Which is rare. Fast shipment. Bare root plants were package decent, seem to have a decent root spread. All plants are making it, paw paw trees seem to do fine, they had a small pot, not bare rooted.

Pretty good company, only thing is that they sell out to quickly :p hehehehe
Positive DTC
Forest Hills, NY
March 14, 2008
I ordered a Comice pear tree from them. However, before delivery, I discussed the tree's susceptibility to fire blight with TOA personnel who were candid about the possibility of fire blight problems with that tree in the Northeast. I thereafter changed my order to a Rio Oso Gem peach and TOA was very accommodating. When I subsequently received my order, I was surprised at the huskiness of the tree and the impressive size of its root system. Having ordered many trees from mail order, I simply have never seen such a husky young sapling being sold, with a trunk diameter of about two inches plus. The sapling also has quite a few dormant blossoms that are already starting to swell up a week after planting. Overall, I am very happy with my order.
Positive veryblessed
Morehead, KY
March 14, 2008
This is the first of many mail orders to arrive this spring and if they all come in like this it will be a great season. I waited a little late to order my fruit trees they were sold out of a few things I wanted, but they went above and beyond to help me get about a dozen trees picked out. They arrived just a few days later and they are beautiful!! They were pruned and packaged beautifully not one branch split or broken. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for any kind of fruit trees, bushes or vines!
Positive Spookycharles
Langley, WA (Zone 8b)
February 20, 2008
Trees of Antiquity could not possibly be more of a joy to communicate with. They are so extraordinarily helpful in thoroughly and quickly answering every question and then some – even questions not directly related to an order. They put a lot of care into their customer service and trees alike and their selection of harder to find historic tree varieties is likewise marvelous.

The booklet I ordered was shipped out nearly immediately after ordering and the Kingston Black I ordered arrived exactly at the time it was scheduled for. The tree was well packaged and unquestionably has to be the most stunningly gorgeous young apple tree I have ever seen. The roots are well developed and the trunk is extraordinarily thick and sturdy.

I have no doubt that the tree will quickly take off and I can’t wait to order more trees from this fantastic nursery.
Positive juanwillis
Winchester, MA (Zone 6a)
October 31, 2007
I ordered 'Roxbury Russet' and 'Newtown Pippin' from ToA this past year and was very pleased with the branching and root systems on each. Both trees established well in their first season. Not particularly cheap, but quality is high.
Positive scottfsmith
Baltimore, MD
August 6, 2007
I have ordered from this nursery several times. Every time I got some of the most healthy trees I have seen -- they send some of the highest-quality trees of any nursery. Many of their stone fruit varieties are from Dave Wilson Nursery, not grown by them, but those are also good quality (not quite as good as the apple and pear trees they grow themselves, however). I have also found them very responsive by email, etc. They have one of the best selections of heirloom fruits out there, they have carefully picked the varieties that will be the most rewarding from the huge number of old varieties out there. The one downside is the prices are a little high.
Positive SuznAZ
Flagstaff, AZ
May 19, 2007
The folk at ToA were very helpful in making sure we selected a compatible selection of apple trees. The stock was received safely, was good size, had healthy roots, helpful planting/pruning directions. About a month after planting, the Winesap, Liberty and Arkansas Black are growing vigorously, the AB has blossoms. So far, so good.
Positive RosalindF
Southborough, MA
April 20, 2007
Bought about 22 trees (apples, peaches, apricots, plum, cherry, nectarine, pawpaw) and 2 gooseberry bushes. Had to keep them in my barn, wrapped up, for two weeks due to a mid-April Nor'Easter, and was a little worried. When I finally unwrapped the container, found the trees were big thick trunks with lovely fluffy just-moist-enough root systems, plenty of rootlets, and clearly someone had made a concerted effort to trim them into traditional shapes with good leaders for pyramids and several good side branches for goblets. Very pleased with the trees overall and looking forward to lots of pies next year! Much nicer than the branchless sticks I've gotten from other companies.
Positive Doc_holliday
Milton, KS
March 15, 2007
I have ordered apple trees on standard root stock several times. The stock always arrives in good time in the spring in a very solid ample carboard box. The trees are big and they have always grown great, generally much faster than stock obtained from commercial mail order nurseries. I'm sure it is the size of the stock, the organic soil grown in, and the care shown in handling which make the difference. I also obtained a Blenheim apricot which did fine. There were a couple of peaches that weren't quite as good, but in all fairness, I think they obtained the peaches from an outside grower.
Positive subuch
Lafayette, CA
January 9, 2007
My experience with Trees of Antiquity, from the first email request for advice on varieties to the arrival of the trees, was flawless. Emails were promptly returned with complete and specific responses. The trees arrived on time and in perfect condition. Each has a large main trunk diameter, healthy roots and balanced branching. I'm already looking to order more!
Positive pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a)
May 23, 2006
Have ordered and received three trees from Trees of Antiquity over the past two years. All were of surprisingly large caliper, were well branched, and had excellent root systems. All are happily growing in my garden. One, was planted and growing and then had to be moved in the middle of the first summer -- cruel and unusual punishment for sure. It was strong enough to survive and is now flourishing a year later. I have never found a better tree grower. Unfortunately, I have no more room for trees!
Positive raddog
De Soto, KS
May 4, 2006
I ordered two grafted Apricots and one Plumcot. The trees were exceptionally well rooted, extremely healthy and budded out shortly after being planted.

They have one of the best web sites with great plants to match. Customer service returned emails promptly. It was a pleasure doing business with them and I look forward to doing so again in the future.
Positive RuTemple
San Jose, CA (Zone 9b)
March 22, 2006
We ordered from these folks soon after their move to Paso Robles and name change. They were knowledgeable about our local microclimate, and suggested the cultivar we ultimately purchased, which grew and bore well in the Mission in SF, and are leafing out happily in the current spring season now in Redwood City.
The first fig we bought didn't do well on transplant (we were delayed in being able to get the stock into ground) and died back to the roots, and then grew up from the root again. We called to find out if it would grow true and upon learning what the state of the tree was, and reassuring us that yes, it would grow true from the root, also sent us a new tree of the originally purchased age, the next season for no more than the cost of shipping.
We're very happy with these folks, the information they ably share, and their kind customer service.
Positive fwfarm
Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b)
September 27, 2005
(2004) Late spring order, so a lot was out of stock, but they
were extremely helpful on the phone looking at their
inventory and what would be suitable for me. The plum tree
I did get came large and healthy and is HUGE now. Very
impressive.
Positive SoftMentor
Indio, CA
May 25, 2005
I have ordered trees from this company back before they changed hands and since. Happy all 3 times. Quality, well grown, good caliper trees that took hold and perform well.
thanks!
Positive KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA (Zone 10b)
March 30, 2005
Wonderful selection of fruit trees. Very responsive to both phone calls and e-mail and willing to discuss choices for our zone according to our likes and dislikes. Trees arrived in good condition, nicely packaged. There was an extra charge for cold storage because we ordered so late in the season, but I doubt we would find these old English apple trees locally, so it was worth it. Next year we'll order earlier!
On May 19th, 2005, kaperc added the following:

Thought I would update this to say our trees are in very good shape and we would definitely order from ToA again.
Positive tomspeak
Vashon, WA
March 29, 2005
Amazing selection, very nice trees and kindly emails--highly recommend.
Positive VA_Gardener
Glen Allen, VA
December 24, 2004
Ordered and received 3 different apples and 1 pear tree. All in excellent shape with good roots, diameters from ½ to 1 inch, and ranging from 3 to 4 feet tall when planted. The employees where nice and helpful in answereig my questions. This summer they all grew exceptionally well, and one Wickson apple tree even had blooms. Very pleased.

Also, their lists of apples and pears (some excellent french varieties) are very large, with a lot of antique varieties.
Positive jledvin
May 6, 2004
They have a very good catalog with TONS of information on many fruit varieties. I inquired through Email about a few varieties of apples in December and they quickly replied and noted they frequently run out of varieties early, If I wanted them all they needed was a confirmation and they would hold them while I sent in a check. I mailed a check the end of January, and got a confirmation, the trees where shipped to zone 5 about april 16. The amount I was charged was about $5 per tree ($25 each), more than I would typically pay, but they are grown organically.

I was pleasantly surprized when they arrived, packed and boxed well and still very dormant. The trunks of the rootstock was well over 1 inch in diameter and the roots were thick like your fingers and over a foot long, the trees were a minimum of 4 foot tall and had 4-8 feathered limbs already growing, at very low levels, starting 6" from the ground. Very detailed planting instructions were also included. I will probably order some plum trees from them next year. I would reccomend them because thier stock was so high quality, only issue would be you will pay a little more for the product and shipping but you will not be disappointed in product or service I'm sure the trees will grow well. Highly rated.
Positive mdehners
Fort Walton Beach, FL
April 30, 2004
I have to say, I was very pleased with my experience. Trying to find Heirloom Apples that you can grow in the Deep South is a royal Pain and most folks didn't even know the chill hrs their stock needed. They did. Even as late in the season they were able to suggest a number that would do well in an area with <500 chill hrs...including ones they had actually in stock!
One just finished blooming and we have hopes that both will next yr...
Sincerely,