The scoop on 'White Flower Farm'

White Flower Farm

Litchfield, Connecticut 06759-0050 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-503-9624

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit White Flower Farm at:

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Elspeth65
Stow, OH
June 13, 2016
My father has always sent me flower arrangements from WFF for my birthday, so last summer when we started "remodeling" our garden I decided to give them a try. I ordered some Snow-in-Summer and ajuga, plus 2 Brazelberry bushes, one blueberry and one raspberry. Everything arrived promptly and packaged well, and the potting medium was still moist. A couple weeks later I ordered some foxglove and the lavender goodwin basket - both arrived when promised and were large and healthy. (I did manage to kill the lavender over the winter, but I don't fault WFF for that, just my own black thumb.) In July my dad sent me a gift card instead of a bouquet, and I bought some Iris New Moon and several peonies. Again, shipped at the right time and packed with care.

I had berries on my bushes within a few weeks of receiving them last summer. They overwintered well and are bushy and healthy now, the blueberry bush is already covered in berries. The digitalis did not flower last year, but I did not expect it to. The ajuga and snow-in-summer are happily spreading and flowering, and the peonies and iris are huge and have given me multiple blooms already.

I ordered a white azalea this spring, and it is the cutest little thing. So far it is doing well.

I have been very happy with my experiences with WFF and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Negative seashore
New Haven, CT
June 9, 2016
I planted my first garden in about 1981 with about $600 worth of plants from WFF, a fair amount in those days. I was enchanted to visit in order to make my purchases. They had an extensive demonstration garden, which helped me refine some of my choices. Their catalogue was intelligent and exhaustive, and almost all of their listed plants were available to be seen on site. They propagated all of their plants, and potted them up in square pressed cardboard pots, which were easy to compost. And their plants were large, vigorous, and had obviously been well tended while awaiting purchase. I have wonderful memories of several returns, pulling my little green wagon, with my daughter and several plants in tow.

I have not visited WFF for many years, because I found that there was a sharp decline, once the family who originally owned the business had sold out to a corporate entity. I recently was in the vicinity visiting the Bellamy-Ferriday House, and on a whim stopped by. If you have a local garden center which sells Proven Winners and Monroe plants, don't bother to come to WFF. They are selling the same stuff, at elevated prices. They don't propagate any plants, as far as I could tell. Plus, there was only one person operating the cash register, so there was a huge line. Patronize your local garden center. From what I have heard from friends, the mail order service is about what you would expect from how sadly declined the retail outlet has become. Sic transit gloria mundi. It was once a really special place.
Company representative comment on June 21, 2016:
On Jun 21, 2016 6:39 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Dear Gardening Friend,

2016 is White Flower Farm’s 66th year in business as a privately owned company. The company has been owned by my father since the mid-‘70s, and my family plans to operate the business for the long term. I’m very sorry to hear that your recent visit to our store in Morris was disappointing, but please know that no “corporate entity” controls White Flower Farm. We grow many (but not all) of the plants we sell, and our commitment to product quality and customer experience is as strong as ever. Thank you for your feedback, which helps us a great deal as we strive to make each customer experience a positive one.

Best,
Eliot A Wadsworth
VP, Marketing
eaw@whiteflowerfarm.com

Negative dlevy
Siasconset, MA
June 7, 2016
I placed an order for several plants this spring.Against my better judgement.I have had bad experiences before…However their offer of larger size Perovskia tempted me.The russian sage arrived,well packed,large plants in big containers.The plants appeared to be dormant.I coddled them.Sun,food water etc…..a month later I had to admit that 2 springs of green on twenty-some plants were all I was going to get.The entire shipment was dead.
Company representative comment on June 8, 2016:
On Jun 8, 2016 9:17 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to hear you had a poor experience with our company. We guarantee your complete satisfaction and success with our plants. Please contact our customer service department at 800-411-6159 or custserv@whiteflowerfarm.com so we can issue replacements or a refund for this order.

Negative MNASC
Excelsior, MN
May 23, 2016
I have NEVER had a more horrendous customer experience in my many years of mail ordered plants (or anything else). It is STILL unresolved after trying to contact the company SIX times. I honestly wonder if they're about to go out of business; they are so unresponsive that it is clear they don't care?! Here's my blow by blow experience: my advice to you -- stay far far away! They cost in you money and time!

(1) Received a White Flower Farm gift certificate as a gift from my mom for our new house. Yay! I treasure their catalogs, and have dreamed of affording their plants!

(2) I ordered two butterfly garden mixes ($200 total) on April 24 that was showing "ready to ship" online. I had a planting deadline of May 15 for HOA reasons, so I double checked availability. So excited!

(3) Didn't receive a shipping confirmation, so I called the following week. I waited on hold until they wouldn't let me wait anymore, and then I left a message as instructed. No return call. Hmm... worried.

(4) I call back again. No apology for the unreturned call or wait. Was told they would ship early May... no explanation, just a curt "not ready". I explained my deadline, and they said OK, not to worry it will ship early May, we'll put a "rush" on it. Awesome!

(5) Around May 12-ish, I am genuinely worried about the deadline. I call again. Get a nice agent... Donna, maybe?... who empathizes but says the plants aren't ready. I say I need to cancel my order -- and I want the gift certificate refunded because I have lost patience with them promising and not delivering. She says OK, so sorry, you'll get an email in the next day or two with both cancellations. OK -- phew, that's too bad, but that's an outcome I can live with.

(6) NO CANCELLATION(order or gift certificate) WAS EVER MADE! Credit cards charged. WTH? At this point, it feels like a bait and switch. I'm starting to get angry.

(6) I call again -- leave a message again. (And I'm not an idiot - I leave order number, call back number, reason for my call.) No return call. Seriously? Companies do this in 2016?

(7) I send an email with all the above to customer service. No return email.

(8) The *&^! plants -- that I needed and were told would arrive weeks ago -- shipped today apparently! (Or at least, I got a UPS notice from them.) I bought other plants to meet my deadline, so this is beyond total belief.

Like I said -- this company has cost me $200 -- and hours of headache and hassle. It remains unresolved. The worst of it is that this was a gift certificate (that was supposed to be cancelled) so I don't even know if I can use my credit card company to dispute the charges.

You can bet that I am darn well going to try, however... ! Will keep you posted!

Company representative comment on May 30, 2016:
On May 30, 2016 1:17 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I do completely understand your frustration with your overall experience. I want to assure you that this is not what we strive for here and take every situation very seriously. I want to make sure that this issue is rectified. I do see that we had responded to your email on the 24th letting you know that you had been refunded in full. We also advised you to keep the shipment free of charge as it was our error in attempting to cancel it after it had been moved to shipping.

Valerie

Positive MollyBlooms
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
May 4, 2016
Ordered three coleus plants and they arrived in decent shape, although the planting medium for each was bone-dry -- no wonder, since they were shipped late in the previous week and so had a weekend to dry out before arriving the following Monday. The next day the coleus looked better after a good watering. I'd give this experience a "B."
Positive themagoos
Owasso, OK
October 6, 2015
“White Flower Farm has the BEST customer service and I truly appreciate that, especially when customer service is declining in so many businesses today!”
Company representative comment on October 7, 2015:
On Oct 7, 2015 9:29 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a positive comment. We appreciate your business & look forward to assisting you again in the future.

Michelle, Customer Service Manager

Positive ellenfoster
Hinesburg, VT
September 20, 2015
This is a lukewarm +. I've ordered bulbs and plants from them in the past. The bulbs were large and healthy. The plants were only OK. They have a good cross the board selection. I've also used them for Christmas presents- "buy 3 for different addresses" as well as some miniature live Christmas trees. These are great for my dad, since they arrive pre-lit and with decorations, but they have been disappointing to me. None of my Christmas trees have made it to being replanted outdoors, but my local nursery told me that I could not expect them to be inside for a month and survive for re-planting. WFF sight does not give adequate detail for me to know this. Nothing wrong, just not great. They are expensive and the shipping charges are appalling.
Positive nitzi1944
Kings Park, NY (Zone 7a)
July 16, 2015
Posted on November 15, 2014, updated July 16, 2015
Posted on October 8, 2014, updated November 15, 2014
Posted on October 7, 2014, updated October 8, 2014
I had a gift cert. I ordered some Carnegie hyacinths and specifically told the phone person I wanted them delivered the VERY END of Oct. This is b/c I am having knee surgery the beginning of next week. Guess what? They just arrived and it will be 75 degrees today. Too warm to plant bulbs. I am going to refrigerate them. The shipping charges are TWICE the price of any other reliable catalog bulb seller like Brent and Becky or Colorblends.WFF is VERY overpriced and if it weren\\\\\\\'t for the gift cert., I wouldn\\\\\\\'t have ordered. MY first experience with WFF. I don\\\\\\\'t think I\\\\\\\'ll order again.
On October 8th, 2014, nitzi1944 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I am impressed by the offer of WFF to refund shipping charges on my original and also to resend the bulbs at the end of the month when I will be home from the rehab facility after knee surgery. Gives me hope that companies want to keep a customer. I am taking advantage of this offer b/c I don\\\'t know if the refrigerated bulbs will survive. I am changing my rating to positive b/c of this offer. Thank you WFF!
On November 15th, 2014, nitzi1944 added the following:

I received the replacement Carnegie hyacinths. Thank you for your kind consideration and offer. I got someone to plant them for me and look forward to Spring. WFF came through for me.
On July 16th, 2015, nitzi1944 added the following:

I must say, the white Carnegie hyacinth bulbs were gorgeous. They were very large. They bloomed for a long time and I received sooooo many compliments.
On Oct 7, 2014 10:53 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to hear that we shipped your order earlier than you requested. Please contact us at 800-411-6159 or custserv@whiteflowerfarm.com so we can refund your shipping and handling charge and or replace the order to ship at the very end of October as you requested. If you wish to store them in your refrigerator, please make sure the temperature does not go below 40 degrees. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We look forward to correcting this error for you.

On Jul 16, 2015 8:09 AM, White Flower Farm added:

We are delighted to hear that you were pleased and complimented on the Carnegie hyacinth bulbs. Feel free to write a product review and upload any pictures you might have of them on our website at: whiteflowerfarm.com

Thank you for taking the time to update your review.

Positive BeaGardener
Lexington, MA
July 9, 2015
In 2014 I ordered 5 ajuga plants, 3 lithodora plants, and 3 "Tutti Frutti" agastache plants from White Flower Farm. In May 2015 I was very concerned that these plants had not made it through the winter. After contacting White Flower Farm, their Customer Service promptly emailed good advice about the ajuga plants: do the scratch test at the plant crowns, and if one sees green, the plants are alive, just slowly waking up. What a relief to find this to be true of the 5 plants! As for the 6 other dead plants, WFF CS requested that I send photos of the dead ones. My husband photographed the dead plants with his phone, and I uploaded and sent the photos to WFF. They had already refunded all 6 to my credit card, and acknowledged and thanked me for the photos. I am satisfied by the entire experience, as everyone who contacted me was helpful, polite, and responded as I had hoped they would. As a result, I will continue to be interested in their business!
On Jul 16, 2015 8:11 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your White Flower Farm order experience. We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Positive gardenkarma
Allston, MA
July 3, 2015
I'm not usually daft at ordering from mail-order garden companies online. I do it enough to have experience with what to expect, so my experience ordering with this company may simply be an isolated incident. I ordered a flower assortment for hanging baskets only to realise the (read: high) price didn't even include a basket. Just 4 flowers - annuals. OK fine, that's on me for assuming.

Only 2/4 of the flowers arrived. OK fine, they let me know on the packslip that the rest would ship when available. Communication was key! Unfortunately, the 2 that did arrive were thrown about the packaging so that the soil was everywhere but in the pots (no damage visible to the box from the outside) and the plants were small and yellowed on arrival. Those 2 flowers shrivelled and died before their partners arrived. Requested replacements, was met with no resistance whatsoever, ultimately received 4 healthy flowers - packaged beautifully this time! The difference was like night and day. Plastic around damp soil - that stayed in the pots - little bits of cardboard to keep things spaced and in place. They must have hired an engineer between my shipments. Joking and trouble aside, the flowers were given a home in a shoddy hanging basket I made myself (cringe, it's all right) and they even came back from the "dead" this year. Can't really complain about any of it in the long run.
On Jul 16, 2015 8:23 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

We appreciate your feedback on your order experience with White Flower Farm. I informed our public relations and product development teams about the confusion with the hanging basket. We will strive for a solution that will ensure future customers do not experience the same confusion as you experienced.

I am pleased to hear that your additional two items and the replacements arrived in great condition. We look forward to assisting you in the future.

Negative songjingjing915
Pelham, NY
June 26, 2015
It's hard not to say I am disappointed... I was attracted to the company website for its large selection and proximity to where I am (Westchester county in New York). In the past 18 months or so, I spent a little over $300 on their website, and have been let down by the quality a few times...

I received bare root peonies that were falling apart, dahlias that 2 out of 3 didn't come up had sick looking tubers when I got them (the website no longer carries the same dahlia so my comment didn't even show up on the website). The Echinaceas I got, while quite healthy and thriving, were way smaller than what you would get for the same price at local nursery (of course I didn't know this in early spring when I pre-ordered my plants).

Some plants are of nice quality (I enjoyed my dutchman's pipe, bergonia etc.), but I am very sad that I lost so many plants due to poor qualities... disappointed...
Company representative comment on June 28, 2015:
On Jun 28, 2015 12:41 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to learn you have not been pleased with the overall quality of the plants purchased over the course of the last 18 months. All of our plant material is guaranteed for your full satisfaction. In addition, our perennial plant material is guaranteed for one year from the time it was received. Please contact the Customer Service Department regarding compensation:
1-800-411-6159
Cathy

Negative NCgardener42
Willow Spring, NC
May 29, 2015
Posted on May 29, 2015, updated May 29, 2015
Spent hundreds of dollars with this company over a few months\' time, and was repeatedly disappointed. Their ordering system is a mess, and while customer service is pleasant, they are not very competent. The plants often arrived with stems cut off by cardboard inserts, dry roots snapping off in their paper(!) packaging, and the ones that did arrive somewhat alive either didn\'t thrive or were the wrong plant.

For example, I ordered tree form wisteria. For $238, I was expecting two trees. What I got were one (sort of) living and one dead vine. Because I used a gift card for a portion of this order, I was given \"merchandise credit\" for $100. When I attempted to place an order for $98, they charged my card $45. The only reason I was willing to place another order for overpriced, crappy plants was because of that credit. Requests that this credit be honored were ignored.

I posted honest reviews of the items I ordered on their website which have all mysteriously disappeared. So I made a post on Reddit to warn other gardeners away from this company, and was directed here to write this review.

STAY AWAY from White Flower Farms.
On May 29th, 2015, NCgardener42 added the following:

Edit to add: Another "mystery" I have experienced with this company relates to the other negative review that has been recently posted here. When you try to cancel an order that has been sitting at "Processing" for a while, it seems to magically make its way out the door that day. I had to refuse delivery of some potatoes, tomatoes and peppers that I had asked to be cancelled & refunded after this happened on two separate occasions.
Company representative comment on May 29, 2015:
On May 29, 2015 8:38 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

We are sorry to hear of your disappointment with our plants. We guarantee your complete satisfaction and will gladly send you replacements or credit your purchase amount.

A third party software handles the reviews to our products and those posts can take up to 2 weeks to be visible on our Website. If it has been over 2 weeks and the review still hasn't posted, please contact me so I can look into it. We value all positive and negative posts regarding our products.

If we did not resolve your situation to your satisfaction, please contact me directly at michelle@whiteflowerfarm.com and I would be happy to assist you. I sincerely apologize for the condition of the plants upon arrival.
Respectfully,
Customer Service Manger

Negative barbarasa
Potomac, MD
May 14, 2015
Posted on May 14, 2015, updated May 14, 2015
I am very, very disappointed in White Flower Farm. I ordered oak leaf hydrangeas in mid April for shipment in early May. When I hadn\'t received them (and the order was still in \"processing\" status) on May 7, I called their customer service group. After getting a run-around from the regular representative, I spoke to a manager. She said that they were very backed up because of Mother\'s Day, but she assured me that my order would go out on Monday, May11. She agreed to send it express and then gave me \"her word\" that she would take care of it and I would receive the plants no later than Wednesday, May 13. By Thursday, the 14th, the plants *STILL* had not shipped. I called and canceled my order. Fortunately, I was able to find the variety I needed at my local garden center.
I will never order from White Flower Farm again. I suggest that if you don\'t want this kind of aggravation and run-around, you stay well away from this firm.
On May 14th, 2015, barbarasa added the following:

After I posted this review, I got the following email from Cathy Hughes at White Flower Farm:

I am contacting you today regarding the negative review posted to The Garden Watchdog earlier today. Let me begin by saying I apologize order 04198892 was not shipped at the time promised and I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused.

I was the supervisor that spoke to you on 5/7/15, as the manager of the department was out of the office at the time of the call. I neglected to make certain the ‘Snow Queen’ hydrangea was available to ship before promising it could be and I regret this error.

Would you consider accepting a gift certificate in the amount of $50.00 as compensation for the error? Please advise at your earliest convenience.

*******************************

I replied with the following email:
Dear Ms. Hughes,

Thank you very much for your offer of a $50 gift certificate. However, I will not take you up on it. My comments about your company are not based on money – they are based on the kind of customer service which I received.

I find it very interesting that you promptly replied to a negative review, while you never bothered to follow up on whether or not the plants, which you had promised would be sent on Monday, in fact were. And, even though, when we spoke on the 7th, I asked you whether the plants were actually available, you never looked to see if the plants were in stock! You were obviously more interested in getting an unhappy customer off of the phone than in really trying to solve the issue. I think that this is an excellent example of why I will never do business again with White Flower Farm and why I will continue to recommend to others that they not buy from your company.

**********************************************
Obviously, White Flower Farm thought that I would revise my comments in exchange for a $50 gift certificate. I will not.

Company representative comment on May 14, 2015:
On May 14, 2015 3:20 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to learn your request for delivery could not be honored and apologize for the inconvenience this caused. I will be contacting you directly via email regarding this concern.

Positive MattW1969
Fremont, OH
May 10, 2015
Ordered a clematis and a Miss Molly butterfly bush. Was very pleased with both plants. Miss Molly was larger and more robust than I had expected. Would recommend.
Company representative comment on May 19, 2015:
On May 19, 2015 10:46 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. Feel free to post a review with pictures on our website (www.whiteflowerfarm.com) of the clematis and or Miss Molly butterfly bush. We look forward to serving you again!

Positive titaniumhipster
Glen Oaks, NY
December 16, 2014
BoldChat Support

Thanks for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly …

(Val) Hello, my name is Val. How may I help you?
(Paul) I’ve got some questions about your terrariums.
(Val) Certainly.
(Paul)Well Val. You seem pretty confident. Let’s see if you can give me some accurate answers to my questions. Last year I bought a “Stained Glass” terrarium. This year I want a “Victorian Conservatory.” How do I avoid any overlap in the plants they contain?
(Val) I’m not sure I understand your question…do you mean how do you space them accordingly so that the plants don’t end up on top of each other?
(Paul) Nooooooooooooooo. What I meant was if terrarium #1 contains an African Kaboodle plant, how can I avoid the plant present in terrarium #2?
(Val) Well, the kits are set up as collections. So in terms of switching plants out for different ones, I’m afraid we can’t do that.
(Val) In the Victorian Conservatory, there is Ruby Red Club Moss, Button Fern, Peacock Moss, Pin Cushion Spikemoss and a Bird’s Nest Fern.
(Paul) O.K. Could you list the plants present in the “Stained Glass” kit and the ones present in the “Victorian Conservatory” kit? This would help get started in choosing which kit I want.
(Val) Absolutely. Listed above your last text is the Victorian Conservatory, let me get the elements for the Stained Glass. Just one moment please.
(Paul) I await your answer.
(Val) In the Stained Glass, there is: Pin Cushion Spike moss (Selaginella kraussiana “Brownii’) Pin Cushion Spike moss (Selaginella kraussiana ‘Aurea’) London Pride, Button Fern, Tricolor Fern and Ruby Red Club Moss.
(Paul) It would be great if you could show me color photos of each of the plants you have listed. If you can do so I will be your friend forever (well for at least twenty minutes.)
(Val) I will try to find some for you. Can I try to attach them in an email to you?
(Paul) That would be great! Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
(Val) Not a problem. Could you please provide me with your email address?
(Paul) gestalt77@gmail.com
(Val) Okay. Give me just a few and I will send the email over.
(Paul) That would be a great help.
(Val) Not a problem at all. I am happy to help.
(Paul) I’m standing by.
(Val) Paul, I have just sent the email over.
(Paul) O.K. I need a few minutes to find it.
(Val) Sure.
(Paul) Got it! If it was within my power to grant you a holiday bonus I would do so but for now a hardy slap on the back for a job well done will have to do.
(Val) Why thank you! If it’s not too much to ask, in place of a bonus perhaps you could give up a nice review on Dave’s Garden?
(Val) J
(Paul) Dave’s Garden? Who? What? Where?
(Val) It’s a website, where customers post review about every single nursery out there.
(Val) http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/
(Val) Called Dave’s Garden Watchdog
(Paul) Well, how about that! I’ll get on it right away OR as soon as I get the wording to my liking OR as soon as I prioritize it. But I will get it done. You guys certainly deserve it. Especially you Val.
(Val) Paul, thank you so much. I will tell my manager, and she will be happy to hear this as well as see the review. Thank you so much again.
(Paul) Well you not only talked the talk but you really did walk the walk. Over and out.
(Val) Take care Paul!

The operator has ended the chat. Thanks for contacting us.

As a result of this chat I DID buy the Victorian Conservatory terrarium. Paul Tobin Floral Park, NY
Positive joevai1
Montrose, CO
November 26, 2014
Posted on November 18, 2014, updated November 26, 2014
I\'m not happy to be writing this review because I\'ve dealt with this company for many years. Their prices are high but everything I have received from them has been stellar quality and perfectly packaged for shipping. However, I feel I should give a warning about ordering their amaryllis bulbs. I received the rest of my bulb orders in a timely fashion but no amaryllis. Each order showed they would be shipped \"separately\". I placed this order in September so I would have the bulbs in plenty of time to flower out for Christmas. Since it is after the middle of November I called for a status of my order and was told the bulbs were just now beginning to be shipped and that somewhere in \"the book\" (I assume the catalog) it states that they won\'t be in bloom for Christmas. I still haven\'t been able to find that caveat anywhere. My order was checked and the bulbs shipped yesterday - still not enough time for a Christmas bloom. When I stated that I should have bought the bulbs locally I was told they are much smaller which, of course, I know and that\'s why I was willing to pay a premium price for these bulbs. I\'m just very unhappy that I didn\'t know about the shipping date in advance. As a parting sentiment, the rep noticed that I live in Colorado where it\'s been very cold and said she hoped they didn\'t freeze. When I questioned her she said that they ship UPS and sometimes the plants sit in the truck for a long time and that White Flower Farms had no control over that. That made me feel warm and fuzzy about my order. Not only are they later than expected but they may be frozen mush when I get them. There are many other reputable companies out there to order from. Guess in the future, I\'ll be ordering from them.
On November 26th, 2014, joevai1 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I have happily changed my rating from negative to positive. A rep from the company contacted me and assured me this was a one-time incident. She then immediately took care of my problem to my sincere satisfaction. I'm pleased to be able to say I'll be buying from them again. It's said that you really only know a company by how they treat you when things go wrong. I couldn't have asked for a better response. In addition, the rep has also contacted their publication department to make sure that in the future customers are aware of the bloom time for the amaryllis. As a footnote, the bulbs finally arrived and they were not frozen!
Company representative comment on November 18, 2014:
On Nov 18, 2014 3:24 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with our amaryllis bulbs. I apologize that you were not aware when you placed your order that our Dutch and cybister amaryllis do not ship until mid November and take 8-10 weeks to bloom. Dutch and cybister amaryllis need a cold treatment and therefore ship later than our South African amaryllis (which ship in mid October). We ship all our products UPS or US Priority Mail and we carefully watch the weather to prevent any freezing or cold damage. In addition, we guarantee our products 100%.

We value you as a customer & I would be happy to compensate you for your dissatisfaction. I am unable to locate your order with the information provided above, so please contact me at your earliest convenience at at michelle@whiteflowerfarm.com.

Positive preashannah
nj,
United States
November 21, 2014
I am AMAZED at the customer service of this company.

I has no idea about their guarantee when I bought my plants and when they arrived I was not satisfied so I called them up and within seconds they had refunded my full order and said I could keep the plants.

NO HASSEL, NO PROBLEMS, NO COMPLAINING!

I will definitely order again!
Positive Jadwin59
Rochester, NY (Zone 6a)
September 29, 2014
I ordered 7 "blue billow" gallon-sized lacecap hydrangeas in early September and received the order about two weeks later. The plants were carefully packed, in excellent condition with minimum breakage and sizeable, moist rootballs. They have thrived since being planted in a prepared bed.

WFF is not cheap, but it's a good source for a cultivar that I couldn't find locally at this time of year, and the plants appear to be very high quality.
Company representative comment on September 29, 2014:
On Sep 29, 2014 11:57 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you for your positive feedback. Feel free to take pictures of your Blue Billow next spring when they are in bloom & post them with a review on our website at http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com. We appreciate your business.

Positive artistgardennyc
New York City, NY
September 22, 2014
I realize people have varying experiences with ANY retailer these days so I don't mean to refute the negative comments. I can only say that I have always rec'd excellent plants that have thrived beautifully in my NYC garden. Recently, one of my new three digitalis plants did not thrive well. I called for advice and the White Flower Rep immediately offered to replace all three of them, no charge, because they are sent in sets of three. I thought this was quite generous.
Company representative comment on September 29, 2014:
On Sep 29, 2014 12:27 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you for the positive feedback. We hope the replacement digitalis are thriving well!

Positive judypal
Waterbury, CT
August 19, 2014
In the last 3 months, I needed to identify 2 plants. I emailed White Flower Farm with each picture and I received the identifications immediately. The emails were courteous and precise. I live in CT and have dealt with them in the past and have always received excellent service.
Company representative comment on August 20, 2014:
On Aug 20, 2014 7:50 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We were very happy to help you identify the plants. Please contact us anytime in the future. Happy Gardening!

Negative darct
Gales Ferry, CT
July 7, 2014
I ordered two Sweet Fragrance roses (my absolute favorite rose) earlier this year. When I did not receive any shipping notification, I contacted White Flower Farm and was told the shipment would be late due to the "the plant not quite ready to come out of the greenhouse." Then several weeks later I'm notified that due to customer demand and lack of product, they are shipping me a different rose. I immediately e-mailed back to two different e-mail addresses that I did not want a substitute rose. They needed to hold my order or refund my money. Within minutes I received a shipment notification . . . Basically too late. Neither of my e-mails were ever answered. I have no idea what roses I received. They were both labeled "Kiss Me" but one rose is coral and one is cotton candy pink. I will never order from White Flower Farm again!!

Company representative comment on July 8, 2014:
On Jul 8, 2014 8:39 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

While White Flower Farm does reserve the right to substitute with another plant of similar attributes, we always honor a refund if the customer is not pleased with said replacement, even if the plant has been received. Please contact me directly at the following email address regarding this concern:

Negative robeezee3
Englishtown, NJ
June 5, 2014
Posted on May 27, 2014, updated June 5, 2014
Posted on May 26, 2003, updated May 27, 2014
Ordered Phlox Davidii from them. Tiny plants arrived and failed to survive. Obtained much larger, healthier specimens from a local garden center. When I phoned customer service to inform them of my disappointment, and request a refund, I got an argument. Amos Pettingill, where are you when we need you?

Have had better experience with daff and lilly bulbs, but I still prefer ordering them from Brent & Becky's since WFF has become such a Goliath of a company.
On May 27th, 2014, robeezee3 added the following:

I ordered some lily bulbs this spring (2014). When they didn't arrive as instructed (ASAP, since these bulbs should be planted in cool weather), I emailed them to ask when they were planning on shipping them. No reply.

I then phoned them and a representative indicated that the shipment was delayed due to the unusually cold weather on the east coast. I reminder her that orders containing only bulbs should not be held up, waiting for warmer weather, but she seemed more like a recording than a person.

When the bulbs arrived, they were in various states of hydration. In the case of one type of bulb, which is not supposed to be allowed to EVER dry out, the two bulbs that were shipped were bone dry. Other bulbs were shipped in a reasonably moist medium of shredded newspaper.

I will avoid White Flower Farms in the future - they have obviously become a victim of their own success and are no longer competent plantsmen.
On June 5th, 2014, robeezee3 added the following:

Does WFF's comment (the same one over and over again in response to negative reviews) sound as lame to you as it does to me?

While I appreciate the offer of credit for the materials that did not work out, any gardener will tell you that once the season for a planting a particular thing passes, all of the credit in the world does not compensate for the negative experience. Care taken at WFF would be more appropriate than a Customer Service Manager that is seemingly unable to keep up with the complaints that originate from an operation that has poor quality control.

Bob
Company representative comment on June 6, 2014:
On May 28, 2014 12:23 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to learn you were not pleased with the delivery time of your shipment or the quality of the bulbs received. We guarantee all of our products for your complete satisfaction. Please contact Customer Service regarding compensation:

On Jun 6, 2014 10:11 AM, White Flower Farm added:

Dear Bob,

I appreciate your constructive criticism about or products and service. At the time of your original complaint, you should have been offered replacements for the lily bulbs and phlox to be shipped immediately. If the products were not available or it was too late for you to plant, we should have offered you a refund in addition to our apologies. A customer should never get an argument, the customer is always right. We do our best to offer a solution that leaves a positive experience for our customers. Reading your feedback, I see that was not the case for your situation. I would like to opportunity to speak with the Customer Service Representative and use this negative experience as training. However, I am unable to locate your order history with the information provided on Dave's Garden.

I would be happy to send you lily bulbs and phlox this fall for planting - for your enjoyment next Spring. Please let me know if this would be a reasonable compensation in addition to whatever else may staff may have offered you. Please feel free to email me directly at mtranquillo@whiteflowerfarm.com if you have any further questions or concerns. If you wouldn't mind, please forward me your name and address or order number so that I can address the training needs to the staff you spoke with.

Negative stanlesmith
Plover, WI
Posted on August 22, 2010, updated May 22, 2014
Last winter I ordered one fringe tree, and two astilboides. The items arrived this Spring, were planted and while the fringe tree is doing well, the astilboides have failed to do anything. After about 4 weeks of waiting, I contacted the company, was told they take a while to break dormancy and I should give them more time. I waited another month, contacted the company again, and this time they replaced the two corms. I planted one of the replacements in a location near the first two, and the other in a completely new location. NOTHING from ANY of them! It's the end of summer and I've seen nothing! This is very disappointing. I have not contacted the company again, it seems pointless. If these are difficult plants to grow it should be stated in their discription. I have been gardening nearly 20 years, so I like to think I know what I'm doing. These were expensive plants.
On May 22nd, 2014, stanlesmith changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I never did see anything of the astilboides, never heard anything back from the company either. This year I forgot I had orderd the Astilboides so I ordered another. It looks okay, but I will wait and see. I also ordered a Kalmia Mountain laurel. The plant looked fine, but when I took it out of the pot it was horribly rootbound! I had to soak it for 45 minutes before I could even begin to scratch up the sides and loosen the roots. I don't hold out much hope for the plant. On top of that, it was a week from the "shipped" e-mail to when the package arrived at my home. A week bouncing around in a box and not getting watered. WFF USED to be quality company, I don't know what happened but from now on I'm recycling their catalog without even looking at it.
Company representative comment on May 24, 2014:
On May 24, 2014 9:28 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to learn the you were not pleased with the overall condition of the Kalmia. All of our perennial plant material is guaranteed for one year from the time of arrival.
If the plant fails to grow properly, please contact Customer Service:
800-411-6159
This guarantee also applies to the Astilboides. If you contacted us via email regarding this plant I apologize you did not receive a response. We have been having on-going issues with our email server that we are trying to resolve.
Sincerely, Cathy Hughes, Customer Service Supervisor

Positive lovetogarden32
hartford,
United States
May 22, 2014
Read all the reviews and decided to order anyway.. I usually buy locally but this time I tried mail order. I usually don't leave feedback but wanted to give this company a high five!

I ordered tomatoes and vegetable plants from White Flower and was impressed at the quality. I had a question about planting and called the customer service department which was able to answer all my questions quickly. Very polite & great quality. More expensive then I'd prefer but I will happily pay more for great service & product.
Company representative comment on May 22, 2014:
On May 22, 2014 12:04 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. Feel free to take pictures of your tomatoes & vegetables at harvest time & post them with a review on our website at http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com. We appreciate your business.

Negative Tulip32
Chevy Chase, MD
May 22, 2014
Should have listened to other reviewers, lesson learned! Dealing with White Flower Farm has been a nightmare from beginning to end. My order was "in process" for much longer than I thought it should have been, my three e-mails and two phone calls were never responded to (its been 22 days!), and when my order did arrive three of the plants look like they won't make it.

I'd try to take advantage of White Flower Farms much touted (by them) guarantee, but how if they can't be reached by phone or e-mail? Smoke signals, certified mail, should I just drive my crappy plants up to Connecticut? What a joke.
Company representative comment on May 22, 2014:
On May 22, 2014 10:51 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Dear Customer,

I'm sincerely sorry for the lack in response. Our business hours are Monday - Saturday 9am to 5pm and Sunday 12-5pm. We did have some email complications and not all of our emails connected to our CS department. We can certainly replace the 3 plants that arrived in poor condition.

You can reach me directly at 860-496-9624, extension 6506 or call our 800-411-6159 CS line. I look forward to hearing from you so I can resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Positive Lazydaisy153
Lilburn, GA
May 19, 2014
I place an order with White Flower Farm on 5/9/2014. It was for the Dawn to Dusk Collection. When it arrived, I immediately noticed that I was sent the wrong rose. I called Customer Service and spoke with Carol Ann. She was apologetic about the wrong product. She informed me that I should have been called by Shipping and told that they did not have this particular rose in stock. She went out of her way to track down an acceptable substitute for me. Carol Ann shows exceptional customer service .
Company representative comment on May 21, 2014:
On May 21, 2014 9:54 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you for your positive feedback. I will share this kind post with Carol Ann.

Negative migmoore
Bloomington, IN
May 7, 2014
From looking at their web pages, one would assume that customer service is a priority. Apparently that is not the case, at least not with respect to their online ordering and communication. I placed an order for items scheduled to arrive for my zone. I've sent three email messages inquiring about the status of my order and when I might expect it to ship. I've received no response from this business...not even an automated message indicating my message had been received.The online chat function? It sends you right to email. So here's my issue, yes I could call them but if I wanted to interact with someone on the phone, I would have placed my order that way in the first place. Being mindful that there are/could be a handful of reasons why a person would not call (schedule, hearing impairment, ease of shopping, etc). If a business is going to offer online shopping, they need to provide the additional follow up support if in fact they truly value customer service. So my advice, order elsewhere if you are online shopper. Communication is nonexistent , anything but good customer service.
Company representative comment on May 7, 2014:
On May 7, 2014 3:36 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to learn you have not received a response to the emails you have sent. We work diligently to respond to customer emails in a timely fashion and customers can respond to the following email addresses:
hort@whiteflowerfarm.com

On line chat is generally staffed during regular business hours as staffing allows. If there is not a company representative available to facilitate live chat, then customers are directed to leave an email regarding their questions and or concerns.

Please contact me directly with your order number and I will be happy to forward you information regarding the status of your order.

Positive myrelle22
Belton, TX
April 1, 2014
This is the second time I have ordered from White Flower Farm. Both times my order was received in great condition. I was leery of ordering potted plants to be shipped, but they did an outstanding job. The plants arrived in perfect condition. I gave them a little water and they perked right up. I highly recommend this company.
Positive ScienceChick
The Colony, TX (Zone 8a)
March 14, 2014
Ordered amaryllis bulbs - both potted and unpotted - for Christmas. They arrived on the third day of a five day ice storm (unusual for Texas). Sadly, they must have been frozen or nearly frozen at some point because all the bulbs rotted.

I called WFF (note - called, not emailed) and, although it really wasn't their fault that the bulbs froze, they replaced them. The customer service rep was very nice and very helpful. They were out of the varieties I had originally ordered but the rep took the time to find others that were close.

It did take a bit for the replacements to arrive due to bad weather in New England. The bulbs are HUGe and healthy. All are growing well and have multiple buds.

It's really nice to do business with a company that does what it says it will. When they say 100% guaranteed they mean it.
Negative caltgarden
Burlingame, CA
February 17, 2014
I sent a message (with a picture) 2 weeks ago about Order#03966072. I ordered 3 amaryllis tres chic bulbs - I bloomed, 1 had 1 bud and grew to 5" tall, 1 never sprouted. All 3 were in the same white bowl.
I got no response from customer service, guess the guarantee applies selectively?
Company representative comment on February 20, 2014:
On Feb 20, 2014 11:34 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I apologize that you did not receive a response to your email. I have checked your order history and it appears we didn't receive your original email. I do show that a customer service representative corresponded with you on Monday 2//17/14 and refunded your order in full as we do not have Tres Chic bulbs to replace. Generally, the only condition that prevents amaryllis from forcing successfully, is cold damage during transit. Our guarantee applies to all of our products. Please feel free to contact me directly at michelle@whiteflowerfarm.com if you have any further questions or concerns.

Michelle T.

Negative CharlesRiver
New York, NY
December 21, 2013
I'm very disappointed with my experience ordering from White Flower Farm online. I ordered two items: one pot with bulbs and a houseplant. I received the pot with the bulbs, but I still haven't received the houseplant.
At every step, their customer service was poor. When I placed the order, I specifically requested in the comments section: "If you don't ship the plants right away, please let me know when you will ship them. Thank you." White Flower Farm's staff ignored that request and did not get back to me and tell me that they wouldn't be sending all of the items right away.
Next, I emailed their customer service to ask when the items would ship. I received a reply only six days later. The reply said that the plant I ordered would ship the next day and arrive a day after that, but according to the USPS tracking information my order still hasn't shipped yet.
I'm going away for the holidays (that's why I asked, twice, when the plants would arrive), so if the plants get here while I'm away, they won't survive.
I don't mind paying extra for good plants and service, but given how poor their customer service is, I won't be ordering from here again.
Company representative comment on December 23, 2013:
On Dec 23, 2013 8:41 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with White Flower Farm. All of our shipping of tender plants is weather permitting as stated throughout our catalog & website. I am sorry this was not communicated to you when you placed your web order. During the past couple weeks weather here in New England has not permitted us to ship tender plants because they would arrive frozen. Should the plants arrive while you are away, you will be fully compensated with a replacement plant or a full refund.

We have upgraded our customer communication technology and unfortunately during the process emails were affected. There is a significant delay in us receiving emails from customers and therefore a delay in us responding to customers. It is currently being addressed and rectified.

Please feel free to contact me directly at michelle@whiteflowerfarm.com or 860-496-9624, extension 6506. Once again, I apologize for your poor experience with us.

Negative Barbstree
El Cerrito, CA
December 17, 2013
I bought the tabletop tree Nutcracker Whimsy. It cost $89 plus $28 shipping from Connecticut.(way overpriced).

When it arrived, it was dry, misshapen (apparently pruned to be flat on two sides), and the decorations consisted of a long red paper tie, a wire with some gold stars attached, a few red balls and some small figures of nutcrackers (the best part).

I was so disappointed, it looked nothing like the picture in the catalogue and i was unable to make it look much better.

When I tried to complain, I was put on hold for 10 minutes twice (I timed it) without anyone picking up. I have always held WFF in high regard and so this treatment was a shock.
Company representative comment on December 17, 2013:
On Dec 17, 2013 12:09 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry to hear you received a tree that is not up to our standards. The misshaped tree should not have passed our quality control check points. I have put a tree aside to ship to you as a replacement free of charge with expedited shipping. However, I need your information to mail it to you. Please contact me directly at 860-496-9624, extension 6506 at your earliest convenience.

I am sorry that you were put on hold for 10 minutes, that is not our standard practice, I completely understand your frustration.

Once again, please contact me directly at your earliest convenience so I can amend this situation for you.

860-496-9624, 6506

Positive DanSpitz_Guitar
Bellport, NY
October 26, 2013
I'm surprised at the negative reviews here....I've ordered from them multiple times in the past few weeks, and each item has shipped out in a timely fashion...the Globemaster Allium bulbs I ordered from them were really big and healthy looking; same for the Hydrangea Color Fantasy plants I ordered from them...nice size, very healthy looking...and same for the Grape Hyacinth bulbs I ordered from them---very healthy too....YES, this company is a little pricey, but everything I ordered was shipped fairly fast and looked quite healthy...I give them a thumb's up....
Company representative comment on December 17, 2013:
On Dec 17, 2013 12:12 PM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Thank you for your kind words! We pride ourselves in shipping top quality, hardy and healthy plants to our customers.

Negative JoeyInOregon
October 4, 2013
With as many negative ratings as this company has received, I wish I had made the decision to purchase from a more reputable nursery. I purchased three Phlox Paniculata 'David', and what I received was laughable. For the size and development of these plants, they were very overpriced. All three were undersized, contained in dried-out soil, and quite poorly packed. One was acceptable, one raggedy and struggling to survive, and the third was separated from its roots, dead as could be. The dead plant appeared to have become dislodged from the soil and pot during shipping. I have placed orders in the past from White Flower Farm, although it had been several years between those orders and this recent one. I had never been very impressed with the quality of what I received, but this, by far was my worst experience with White Flower Farm. I had always found their prices to be far above what one would expect for the size and quality of the plants. Never again will I place another order with this sub-standard nursery.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
July 17, 2013
I was a little anxious when I placed my order with them because of the mixed reviews. However, my own experience turned out to be positive. They arrived very nicely packed. One variety I can only find on their website arrived very stressed and eventually died. I contacted them about it, and they replaced them very promptly. Unfortunately the replacement also came in looking bad. They again promptly refunded my money. I am in CA, having plants shipped all the way from CT can be tricky. I appreciate their customer service. I will try them again, probably during early Spring.
Negative hasshoes
Hingham, MA
May 27, 2013
I ordered over $200 worth of White Flower Farm tomatoes (they are about $7 each).

They arrived very stressed with white mold all on them- in some cases sporilating all over the place.

White Flower Farm informed me that the mold was nothing to worry about and I should go ahead and plant them.

As I suspected would happen- all of the places that were previously covered in mold have turned into necrotic sunken lesions- and of course the plants are a week or so away from total death.

$200+ dollars (almost $300) worth of absolute garbage.

I will never order from them again.

Positive riv
Pine Grove, CA
March 27, 2013
recently ordered two bareroot roses and 3 malva plants. the roses were HUGE. beautiful roots and canes with new growth all over them. the malva were small, but looked healthy in their little pots. i'm very happy with these plants. this isn't the first time i've ordered from them and i've never had a problem or had to ask for a replacement or refund. great selection within plant types. i hope WFF keeps up the good work and doesn't deteriorate like some other mail order nurseries have.
Neutral sneezer2
Wexford, PA
February 21, 2013
Whiteflower Farm claims to be selling Dona tomato plants.
Though mentioning that Dona hybrid was "bred to please the
fastidious customers in small French markets" (how truly
bucolic!) they do not indicate anywhere that their product is
the genuine Dona F1 hybrid. They even include two "customer"
reviews from people who extol the virtues of Dona F1, neither
of whom indicates having bought their tomatoes from WFF.

They also have failed, after several days, to answer an
email to their customer service querying the nature of
what they have. To me it seems obvious if they have
genuine Dona F1 from a legitimate French source for
seed, that they would be proud to say so. After all, who
would doubt that White Flower Farm has the capacity to
obtain genuine seed in quantity and sell real F1 plants
when others probably wouldn't.

I'm not saying that I have seen White Flower Farm
misrepresent any of their plants but in the situation where
so many are selling fake OP Dona seeds and plants and
considering the cachet of their company, it just seems to
me that they would wish to distinguish themselves by
both having the genuine Dona F1 and by saying so. That
they don't do so leads me to, "um", question what they are
up to.

I have classed this comment in the "Neutral" category
because the nature of what they are selling is unclear.
I would very much like to see a representative of their
company stipulate that what they have is genuine Dona F1
(a registered and protected variety in the E.U). Should
they be able to do that, the category of my comment
would be "Positive" and I would be unhesitating in
recommending their product.

Company representative comment on February 25, 2013:
On Feb 22, 2013 10:31 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

We apologize for the delay in responding to your posting and your email regarding the 'Dona' tomato. We have forwarded your comments to our Marketing Department and are waiting for their response.

White Flower Farm Customer Service

On Feb 25, 2013 2:24 PM, White Flower Farm added:

We have heard back from our Marketing Department and our current supplier of the 'Dona' tomato is supplying us with the open-pollinated seed, so it is not the true F1 hybrid.
We thank you for bringing this to our attention and our web copy will be adjusted accordingly.We will continue in our on-going efforts to search for a supplier of the true F1 hybrid seed.
White Flower Farm Customer Service

Negative cbrundage
Raleigh, NC
October 30, 2012
My niece ordered a lavender plant to be sent to me as a gift. When it arrived, the box was damaged, the pot inside was broken into several pieces and the plant damaged. The apartment office it was delivered to took a photo of it which I sent to the company along with an email. I received a terse reply saying a replacement would be sent. It has been a week and I haven't heard anything. I will wait a little longer and then call them and ask them to refund my niece's money.
Company representative comment on October 30, 2012:
On Oct 30, 2012 10:18 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

Dear Customer,

We are very sorry to hear your original gift arrived damaged and of your disappointment. Upon checking your order, the replacement gift plant shipped on 10/24/12, the day after you reported the problem. I tracked the UPS package, and according to their website it is scheduled to be delivered by the end of today. Below you can see the actual UPS tracking number & delivery information.

Track #: 1Z0345330378738538
Scheduled Delivery Updated To:
Tuesday, 10/30/2012, By End of Day

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Custserv@whiteflowerfarm.com

Positive nancyelatimer
Union City, TN
October 25, 2012
I bought 50 bulb cages and then another $450 worth of plants and bulbs. Everything was expensive but top notch. The plants arrived in amazing shape--hard to believe they were shipped. I wish the price was lower but the quality it truly amazing.
Company representative comment on October 30, 2012:
On Oct 30, 2012 10:28 AM, White Flower Farm responded with:

We are very happy to hear how pleased you were with the quality of bulbs & the bulb cages. A protracted discussion with our partners at UPS has resulted in meaningful discounts in the cost of our shipping service, bringing down the delivered price of every item in our Holiday catalog.

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Customer Service

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.