The scoop on 'Regan Nursery'

Regan Nursery

4268 Decoto Road
Fremont, California 94558 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-249-4680
Paper Catalog Cost: $5 (refundable with 1st order)

Visit Regan Nursery at:

Comments:

Positive cactusman8
San Marcos, TX (Zone 8b)
October 16, 2013
Ordered about eight roses last year, all floribundas. Arrived in excellent condition and all are alive and thriving now. A neighbor passing by noticed the overwhelming scent of "Ebb Tide" and knocked on my door to ask what variety it was. This is what prompted me to write this review. I highly recommend both the company and the rose.
Positive bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
September 20, 2013
I recommended this nursery to buy roses at end of the season rather than bare root order. Unlike any other nursery, they carried most rare, new, old and unusual roses. After labor day, is best time to go there to select which roses are suited for your area and find any characteristic of your favorite roses. Sales are a month long.
Positive Chuck1933
Springfield, MO
March 8, 2013
I ordered two climbing roses online in December and I immediately received an email asking what would be the best time to ship for us - and the roses arrived right on time today (March 8, 2013).

One rose is very robust - the others has roots trimmed back to approximately two inches of the stem (I am worried about it but I will give it a chance.)

This is my first order with this nursery - so far we are off to a good start.

Positive icebird28
Coppell, TX (Zone 8a)
February 24, 2013
Ordered 3 bareroot roses from them. All had 3-4 canes with several active bud eyes on each. They are now leafing out very well. Compared to another place I placed an order with where the active bud eyes are iffy, Regan is a top notch place. Not to mention the lady let me know that mine were ready to ship before their normal shipping time which was good for me since I'm in Texas. I liked them so much, I placed another order.
Positive JBeard
Lewiston, ID
May 12, 2012
I ordered 3 roses online. I received on the date that I requested. They came healthy and large. All have broken dormacy and are pushing new growth. Very large selection. I plan to purchase again.
Neutral MaryCorbett
Niceville, FL (Zone 8b)
April 19, 2012
Ordered 5 bareroot roses to be sent around the end of February, 2012. Upon receipt, 2 of them (Broadway and Estelle) were suffering badly from extensive die-back on ALL of their canes (Estelle arrived with only 2 canes). Being no novice to rose gardening, I pruned them back to healthy tissue and potted them up as usual before transplanting them to my garden. In little more than a week the die-back was rampant once more, so carefully pruned once again. After a while I realized these roses were not going to pull through. No new growth at all and Estelle was by now down to only one short diseased cane and Broadway consisted of mere stubs of 2 canes. Phoned Customer Service on 4/19 and they replied that they were sold out for the season. Told me to mail in the metal id tags from the roses and they would credit my Visa card. I am posting this feedback as Neutral until I receive the proper credit on my bankcard. I have ordered from them before and been pleased with my purchases, but it seems quality was lacking this time.
Positive awb_1
Pahrump, NV
February 24, 2012
Received six bare root roses in top condition.
Positive caseylady
Florence, AL
June 10, 2011
I ordered 3 bare-foot Rosa Seafoam (which I had been having a very hard time finding), and could not be happier with the product. I ordered them months in advance; they arrived right on time at the end of March as I had specified, and they were huge. I've never seen bare-root roses so big. They greened up beautifully as soon as I planted them, and all three are now in bloom.
Positive lenoirfoothills
Lenoir, NC
March 23, 2011
I ordered 3 Romantica Roses a few months ago, which were delivered today March 23, 2011 - All were in beautiful condition, tagged, healthy looking with excellent root systems. Very pleased with the plants and automated e-mail updates from Regan Roses. There was a tracking number from FedEx and plants arrived wrapped in plastic and in a sturdy box, six days from CA to NC. Will order again next season as the service has been wonderful and the selection is awesome. Prices for such a beautiful grade rose bush are great. Very pleased, thank you for the service and selection!
Negative HolyChickin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
June 30, 2010
TERRIBLE Customer Service!! Don't even THINK about calling them unless you like having your head bitten off!

To make you privy to what exactly happened, it's the end of June... about two weeks ago, I purchased AND received a bare root hybrid tea rose (Pink Promise) from a S. California grower. It is doing quite well I might add.

Looked high and low for a Electron Hybrid tea because mine is dying from an infestation of spider mites. Well, I called to see if there was any way I could order from them and they would ship now... OR if I would have to wait until next January. I asked if there were “any exceptions” to this rule and I was propmtly told "no". Stupid me asked "why" and I was told quite shortly "because they didn’t have any... THAT’S why!!” Real nice.

Not sure what I did to tick the person off I spoke to... maybe it was asking a stupid question but, it does not give anybody the the right to be excruciatingly rude. ESPECIALLY someone in Customer service.... all I asked was a simple question.

Rest assured, no matter HOW bad I want a rose… if they are the last place on the planet that has it, I would rather pass. There are plenty of other resources out there that appreciate my business and are never rude or curt to me when I call and ask questions... no matter HOW stupid they may be.
Positive plantoid
Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9b)
November 10, 2009
Posted on November 03, 2009, updated November 09, 2009
No nursery can afford to have the best selection of everything and Regan's is no exception. It excels in many areas and falls short on others. Regan's is a rose lover's paradise. They have the best selection of roses of any nursery in the Bay Area that I am aware of. The time to buy roses from them is when they are still bare root and cheap. Later in the season they get potted in pulp pots and the prices more than double over bare root prices. They have a very good selection of fruit trees and a decent selection of large landscape trees. Their selection of shade loving plants is great. The staff is very knowledgeable. Prices are quite good.

On my recent visit around Oct. 17, 2009, most of their Japanese maples seemed to be suffering heavily from wilt, probably the nasty and incurable verticillium wilt. There were only a small handful of seemingly healthy maples, but I wouldn't want to take a chance buying one with a latent infection. I would stay clear of their Japanese maples until they have the problem fixed by getting rid of their infected plants.

Their selection of pines and conifers is rather light considering the size the nursery, although they have a couple of really pretty Japanese black pines.

They have a large selection of the highest quality wind chimes made by Corinthian Bells. Several of these big ones cost $300 apiece. They also have several large wrought iron arches. I bought a beautiful 6'x6'x10' wrought iron gazebo from them at a great price.
On November 10th, 2009, plantoid added the following:

I got a reply from the manager of Regan Nursery stating that the severe wilt of their Japanese maples at this time of the year is due to a high chloride concentration in the well water that they use to water the plants and is not caused by verticillium wilt. He stated once a customer purchases one and begins watering it with city water, the plant should begin to spring back to normal.

I believe him. Last year I purchased a rhododendron from Regan. Its leaves had severe brown edges at the time of purchase. I was suspecting that it was caused by the well water they used, but I didn't ask them to confirm. My rhododendron has since lost all traces of the brown edges and has since been green and healthy.
Positive GartenBee
August 10, 2009
Regan's knowledgable staff recommended White Eden in February among others. I am a new gardener and it is quite a scary thing to be opening the package and seeing these bare root roses--they are just stick with some roots on them! Five months later White Eden proved to be beautiful and prolific. I have just planted Julia Childs last month--can't wait to see the blooms!
Positive cattjovi
Richmond Hill, GA
March 18, 2009
My roses arrived yesterday and I an thrilled. Couldn't be happier if I hand picked them myself. Received 6 and all are beyond my expectations. This is my first order from Regan's and it won't be my last. What a wonderful company to deal with. Great roses and the customer service was delightful.
Positive eickenho
Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a)
March 4, 2009
Great selection of roses. I bought 4 bare-root roses - they arrived in great condition; were good-sized and healthy plants. Good communications. I would definitely buy from Regan again.
Positive mrs_colla
Marin, CA (Zone 9b)
January 23, 2009
Great selection of roses, shipped timely, very well packed.
Roses are bare root and look nice.
Will update after planting.
So far, will definately order again.
Communication over email was great; got responses to all my inquiries.
CC
Negative betteann
Winter Park, FL
February 13, 2008
My Regan rose order was placed on January 24,2008 with an "early February delivery". I live in Florida and was charged $22.00 for shipping UPS 3 Air. The order was shipped February 5,2008. Great! I have a 3 day weekend to plant. I received my order last night - February 12,2008. On the package was FEDX Ground Home Delivery which after on-line investigating is delivery "at the end of the 5th day", the price should have been $9.87. I spoke with Victoria at Regan's Nursery and she rudely stated that I contact FEDX not them, it wasn't their responsiblity. Very disappointed at the quality of employee- customer relations!
On February 13th, 2008, betteann added the following:

Your shipping methods are misrepresented.
Neutral winterrobin
South Dennis, NJ (Zone 7b)
May 12, 2007
Last year I ordered two Buff Beauty tree roses from Regan.
Both were given the same soil, exposure, and treatment, but one of them died after only one week. I e-mailed them to report this, and asked what their policy would be. When there was no response in 5 days, I e-mailed again. I never heard from them.
Positive larlienda
Strasburg, VA (Zone 6b)
April 30, 2007
I recieved my order today from Regan Nursery and couldn't be more pleased with the roses...very healthy!
Communication was excellent throughout the whole process which included finding a perfect replacement rose for Kazanlik.

Thanks!
Lynda
Positive redstar
Plainfield, NJ
April 11, 2007
love buying roses from regan! this is my 2nd time and i always get nice healthy
bare root roses. some roses from canada are alittle smaller but i don't mind.
will buy again for sure!
Positive Happenstance
Northern California, CA
April 11, 2007
Excellent quality bare root roses. My order was filled on time and packing was excellent. Two months after planting the first week of Feb here in 10A, all plants are thriving and blooming.
Positive Mary1NYS
Sherrill, NY (Zone 5a)
April 4, 2007
Recd 3 well rooted and long caned roses in great shape with great packaging! Very happy!
Positive whitehen
Salem, MA (Zone 6a)
March 28, 2007
Just received my two bare root roses from Regan.They look outstanding in both size and appearance.They shipped them at the proper time and with care so that no damage to the canes took place. Regan has a large variety of roses which is what brought me to their website!!!
Positive baileykat
Bay Area, CA (Zone 9b)
August 17, 2006
A little pricey compared to the other local nurseries (I'm not comparing it to box stores garden center). But their plants are well cared for. Wide selections of fruit trees, but seems like their specialties are Roses. Friendly and knowledgeable people, too.
Positive DaintyBess
Utica, MI
April 10, 2006
This is my first order with Regan nursery. I am very happy to say the roses I have ordered came on time, the root system was fantastic the order was packed well and the proper roses were sent, plus the canes are all long and grade 1- . I will definately order from Regan again. Just a little note though. You must place your order between October and the end of January, They will not take orders after that. They will put your bareroot roses in storage for your zone. Also There are some hard to find roses on their website.
Positive cowgardener
Southport, ME
October 7, 2005
This company provides excellent quality bare-root rose bushes. We ordered 20 new bushes this year & had them shipped from California to northern New England. They arrived in great shape and performed beautifully in the garden. They have one of the largest selections of standard tree roses & David Austin roses that I'm aware of. Their website is a goldmine of hard to find roses with good images.
Positive spidra
Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b)
March 20, 2005
I was looking for mulberry trees that were more affordable than what my local nursery was offering. I asked another local nursery and they recommended Regan's, which is about 45 min. drive south of me. I called to see if they had them in stock. They weren't able to answer me at that time, but took my number and promised they'd call me back. At that point, my impression of them wasn't too good and I wasn't expecting them to really call back. (I didn't know how big their grounds were and can understand now why that kind of inventory check would take time.) I can understand putting priority on the customers that are there in person over people who phone up, but I didn't want to waste gas driving down there if they didn't have what I needed. Surprisingly, they *did* call back a couple hours later! Now I just had to hope the trees would still be there by the weekend when I had time to make the trip.

They have a large open-feeling site. The majority of their stock is roses, but they also have many ornamentals, a few herbs and vegetables, a few of Annie's Annuals and a respectable selection of fruit trees and vines. They carry some rarer things like fruiting mulberries, jujubes, guavas, and kiwis as well as citrus, grapes, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, apples and pears.

When I asked for help finding the mulberries after I tried and didn't manage to find them myself, I received help from a female staffmember. She was obliging although it was clear that fruit was not her specialty.

Scott ended up being very very helpful in the selection of a mulberry as well as giving me advice about potting and propagation. He is a font of knowledge about fruit and I highly recommend asking for him by name if fruit is what you're there for. This kind of advice and service is what will keep local nurseries in business as I will pay extra for good customer service and the kind of face-to-face advice you just can't get through the mail.

Like most businesses, the experience will vary according to who you deal with. No one at Regan was unhelpful or rude. The service ranged from satisfactory to really excellent. I haven't had my tree more than a couple hours, so I'll have to post later if there are any difficulties in the quality of the merchandise. The return policy was posted prominently on the shed door in the write-up area.

I feel it was worth the drive because I got a comparable mulberry tree at less than half the price of what the local nursery was charging for theirs, not to mention some really useful and targeted advice from a pro.
Positive MGHTYDX
Ladera Ranch, CA
February 17, 2005
Ordered two bare roots at the end of January. Received them a week later. So far, looking pretty healthy.
Positive garycahn
Bethesda, MD
April 1, 2001
I ordered from Regan this spring as well as two years ago. I have purchased a total of 12 roses from Regan Nursery. I recommend them highly, although not uncategorically. Their selection of roses is second to none. They carry over 1100 roses!! However, they are just a wholesaler and rely on other rose companies for their stock. They grow no roses themselves. The roses that I have ordered have been in good, but not excellent condition. One rose had several canes that were dead, and another rose was smaller than it should be, and it had a very weak root system. However, in general, this is a good company, and I would order from them again.
Neutral JohnHPorterf
November 1, 1997
Large selection of roses; both modern and antique. Good quality bare roots; however, their return and/or replacement policy was not stated and remained unclear even after a clarification was requested.