The scoop on 'Marianna's Heirloom Seeds (formerly Pomodori di Marianna)'

Marianna's Heirloom Seeds (formerly Pomodori di Marianna)

1955 CCC Road
Dickson, Tennessee 37055 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Neutral stormygace
kure beach, NC (Zone 7b)
January 2, 2014
Can not check out of their site - error occurs with choosing both shipping and payment methods. Have emailed and LMOR w/o contact back. Anyone know what is up? Woud like to order this year as site did not work for me in 2013 either. Have tried 2 browsers and then a second computer with same errors. Are they making sales? How do I get an order to them? No fax here FTR. Are they around for contact? Used the phone # in their terms of service.
Positive gardenbops
Milford, CT
August 12, 2013
Marianna's is EXCELLENT

I highly recommend ordering seeds from this company. Seeds were delivered fast, there is a great variety, and I won a tomato competition with one of her competition tomato seeds.

Check this company out. They have an incredible selection.
Positive sluggo74
Vandergrift, PA
April 25, 2013
I've never had a problem, my order was always recieved in a timely manner. The seeds and fruit was what was explained. I too have to use pay-pal so if you have a problem contact them. they are there to protect the buyer and seller.
Positive WillysWoodPile
Kalamazoo, MI
February 28, 2013
Posted on February 13, 2012, updated February 28, 2013
--- Excellent online catalog with many new and updated listings. I ordered February 8th and received my order February 13th.
-- I love the "Create Your Own Heirloom" page!
-- I highly recommend Marianna's site.
On February 28th, 2013, WillysWoodPile added the following:

I got my 2013 order today. I am excited! One variety that Marianna was out of was substituted for a comparable variety. Thank you Marianna. I had a problem with my order and I contacted Marianna by phone twice, each of us contributed input, and we subsequently figured out what the problem was... and solved it!
Marianna, you have excellent service and awesome customer skills. Thank you for being patient with me.
A plan is in order to drive to your new location in Copemish, Michigan and purchase some plants.
Positive poypoyking
Columbia Heights, MN
January 23, 2013
I just placed another order with Mariseeds. Great selection and decent prices. Impressed with the added variety this year. I haven't had any issues with this supplier/company and will order with them again. The section "create your own heirloom" is an interesting idea and something to consider if you have the space for future growouts.
Positive kyud8
Nevada, MO
January 10, 2013
I have ordered from them many times over the years. Use to love their paper catalog. I still have seed I have saved from varieties I bought and tried over the years. Great place to buy something new to try and see if it works in my garden and climate. They seem to have a fair price and I would highly recommend them.
Positive Sherilou
Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b)
May 8, 2012
Posted on March 1, 2012, updated May 8, 2012
Posted on April 5, 2011, updated March 1, 2012
I just placed my third, exciting order (this season!!!) with Marianna's Heirloom Seeds today, because I'm totally addicted to her website. :)

She has so many exciting, rare varieties of tomatoes, peppers and eggplants... I just keep coming back for more!!!

Shipping is fast, for peak seed-buying season. I also like the fact that they take PayPal.
On March 1st, 2012, Sherilou changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I will not be ordering from Marianna's Heirloom Seeds again.

1.) The germination rates were ridiculously low, considering the super-high seed packet prices.

2.) I had four varieties that did not match their description at all.

3.) Delivery time is insanely slow in the off-season.

I applaud them for attempting to preserve so many rare varieties, but I will not order from them again.
On May 8th, 2012, Sherilou changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Positive LilyLover_UT
Ogden, UT (Zone 5b)
July 9, 2011
This is one of my favorite sources for rare tomato seeds. I spend many hours studying Marianna's website every year, trying to narrow down my long "want" list.

The pictures and descriptions are excellent and entertaining, and the tomato seeds germinate quickly. I am so happy to have found this company. Thank you!
Positive elkwc36
Elkhart, KS
July 18, 2010
I ordered from her this season. Have had great results with her seeds as far as germination and all are growing well at this point. Will know more about taste and if they grow true to type later. Which I expect they will. The only complaint I have is I wish she would answer questions. I know she is like other vendors and busy but when so many varieties are offered it is nice when they will offer opinions on what might grow well in your area. There has to be some varieties that are at the top when so many are offered. Many times there is little information when you do a search and the descriptions are very general I will buy from her again. Service was in the expected time frame and friendly. I recommend her business as a source of hard to find seeds.
Positive terri_emory
Alba, TX (Zone 8a)
March 1, 2010
This year (2010) was my first year purchasing from Marianna's. Service was prompt, friendly, and the selection of tomatoes is very good. All seeds started have germinated. I will order from them again!
Positive maitus
Apex, NC
February 2, 2010
I was very surprised at how promp I received my order, placed on Thursday received on Monday, even with the snow across TN and NC! I was very happy with the free pack of seeds I received also. Will definitely order again.
Positive brandie21
Tucson, AZ (Zone 8a)
March 24, 2009
I placed an order with this company using Pay Pal and I was surprised how quickly I received my order. I just got the seeds planted so I'm not sure about the germination rate but if it's as good as posted here then I will be very happy.
Positive GardeningGirl
Chicago, IL
March 24, 2009
I've ordered from Marianna's for years - she has a great selection, and there are always a lot of seeds in each packet, and the germination is excellent. This year, even when it seems like so many places are experiencing delays due to an overwhelming number of orders, if that was the case with Marianna's I couldn't tell. My seeds got here VERY quickly! The descriptions on the website always make me chuckle a bit, since all the tomatoes seem to be a favorite variety, but it's kind of nice to see that kind of enthusiasm. Will definitely keep ordering from Marianna's in the future!
Positive Julie40391
Winchester, KY
February 8, 2009
I've ordered 8 to 25 varieties from this company each year since 2001, totalling about 50 varieties in that time.

Orders have arrived in 10-20 days from order either by fax, mailed check or PayPal.

I've had only good experiences with the company. The two times I called the owner answered the telephone and was extremely pleasant and courteous, and responded warmly to questions about varieties offered.

Germination was over 85% in all varieties. There has never been a packing order, and I've always received 2-5 packets of "gift" packets of interesting varieties that were similar to the types ordered. For example, if I'd ordered a high percentage of potato-leaf types, there would be 1-2 gift packets of additional PL varieties.

Seed viability when starting seeds left over from previous years' orders has also been notably good.

Descriptions in the catalog may seem somewhat over-enthusiastic, but are an expression of the genuine affection of the owners for tomatoes in general, rather than hype. The descriptions are informative overall.

An excellent resource of plants for the Appalachian gardener, with many varieties from the Southern Appalachian states especially. I recommend this company for those searching for unusual family varieties from this area.
Positive glendamcfadden
El Dorado Springs, MO
December 31, 2008
I liked this company very much, Marianna is very sweet! I called to make sure she got my order and she didn't have it on record but the check I sent was deposited so she was willing to redo my order but she ended up finding my order and all was resloved. My plants were in perfect condition and produced big and healthy tomatoes! I recommend this place!
Negative mikejones
Toledo, OH
October 17, 2008
I've had the exactly same experience as another post here. Placed order on 10-02-08 via paypal and so far no seeds, no email contact, and no one on the other end of two company listed phone numbers (not even a voice mail system!). My order was relatively small, and although this company does have a nice selection it is by no means the only company to offer these varieties. I placed this order because I prefer to support small business but barring a call or email with an explaination, I will not order from this company again. I would also be suspicious of some of the overly positive post, as this cant be an isolated incident....it happened exactly as I had read in a former posting! 10-17-08
Positive brokenbar
Cowley, WY
March 5, 2007
I grow specialty tomatoes for the upscale restaurant market trade which means I buy a lot of tomato seeds online. My seed buying experiences range from abysmal (slow shipping, orders never arriving, zero/poor germination, seeds mislabeled, etc.) to as superb as it gets and I put Marianna's seeds in that catagory. Seeds arrive promptly, labeled and packaged well, and "out-germinate" (not sure if that's a word but nonetheless...) all other seeds planted at the same time. I start all the seeds I buy at approximately the same time. I use warming mats and peat pellets. Marianna's seeds germinate just about twice as fast as the other seeds from different vendors do. Those seedlings average 3 inches of height on other seedlings at about 3 weeks of age. I can only tell you that I have had numerous seed-buying dissappointments over the years and it is really a treat to have a vendor who does everything right. If you are looking for tomato seeds, look no further. Marianna's seeds wil not disappoint you. Mary in Wyoming
Positive kyle_and_erika
Batesville, AR
June 11, 2006
Marianna's offers a great selection of very interesting tomatoes. We love reading through their site and viewing the beautiful photos in the gallery. After placing our first order with them we were pleasantly surprised to receive our seeds only two days later! Now that's fast service.

We're looking forward to growing out these seeds, as well as trying some of the other many interesting selections she offers. We'll definitely order from this company again.
Positive Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA (Zone 6b)
March 3, 2006
Ordered online, received my seeds two days later with a free packet of pepper seeds. Great germination. Will order again from mariseeds.
Positive signalfire
Signal Mountain, TN
January 26, 2006
I ordered tomato seeds from Marianna's seeds and my order was in my mail box within 3 days. I had a question and a missing item, she responded to my email within 24 hours and the missing seeds were in my mail box within 3 days. I am very pleased with this company so far. I will add to this posting after I have had the opportunity to grow and sample the tomatoes.
Positive Suze_
(Zone 7b)
December 28, 2005
Good selection of many of the "currently popular" OP varieties of tomatoes that aren't always readily available from many of the other companies. Fabulous selection of peppers and eggplant as well. Consistently prompt and courteous; just a pleasure to deal with.
Negative mmjoyce
Union City, CA
May 21, 2005
I ordered seeds 15 days ago. Site says preferred, safest, and FASTEST payment method is PayPal ... I paid with PayPal 15 days ago; per PayPal money was transferred 15 days ago. No seeds. No order confirmation. No communication for Mariseeds. I've sent 3 emails requesting order confirmation and status. No response. I now must resort to opening a dispute with PayPal in the hopes of getting my money back. HORRIBLE COMPANY, HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!
Positive thatguybry
Wheaton, IL (Zone 5a)
February 15, 2005
Prior to ordering I emailed a question and got a personal response with an answer - Great support!

I ordered seeds on 2/10/05, and got them on 2/14/05. Fast service!
Positive Art
Mountain Dale, NY (Zone 6a)
February 10, 2005
I ordered seeds from this company two weeks ago, and received them in good condition in about 10 days. I'll post later about the germination. Website is easy to use.
Positive jus_gardens
Knoxville, TN (Zone 6b)
February 4, 2005
Marianne Jones was very helpful in recommending particular heirloom tomatoes. Great communications with this Dealer. My order was received in less than a week.
Positive Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a)
January 30, 2005
Very large selection of tomatoes, got my order in two weeks. I plan to send in another order for some hard to get varieties.
Positive Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA (Zone 8b)
January 24, 2005
A great selection of heirloom tomatoes. My order arrived within 2 weeks.
Positive bukwrm
June 12, 2004
Good website, great selection, quality seeds. On line ordering and easy payments through PayPal. I will be dealing with them again.
Positive frosty
March 8, 2003
Great company to order from -- they have quite a few of the more unusual and hard to find tomato and pepper varieties. Prices are quite reasonable and my order arrived promptly. Germination so far is very good, I'd be happy to order from them again next year.
Positive Terry
Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a)
April 10, 2002
Last year I saw a story about Marianne Jones in our local paper, and thought I'd try several of her pepper and tomato seeds this year. The seeds arrived very promptly, and had good germination. The prices were reasonable; the only downside is getting in your order - I had to mail it in after several unsuccessful attempts to fax it in. She only accepts phone orders one morning a week. Online ordering would be great.
Positive scoondcoon
March 1, 2000
I ordered from Pomodori di Marianna; the seeds arrived promptly.