Media KitDave's Garden launched in August 2000, it is a series of web sites catering to the interests and needs of gardeners and horticultural professionals world-wide. Dave's Garden, known as DG to its loyal members, is one of the largest gardening sites online, with approximately 3,000 new members registering each week. As of Aug 01, 2021 there are 788,524 registered members, from novice gardeners to experienced market growers. In May 2008, more than 1.8 million people from all around the world accessed one or more DG features, generating almost 15 million page views.
What makes DG unique?
In a word, community. Members share information, tips, plants and seeds, along with gardening triumphs and trials. Dave's Garden's slogan "For Gardeners...By Gardeners" reflects the friendly, helpful atmosphere found in the 250+ web-based discussion forums, where over 3,000 posts are added each day. The forums are arranged by subject, including organic gardening, landscaping, market growing, propagation, seed trading, plus one-of-a-kind forums for group purchases, regional get-togethers, etc. Our plant, bug and bird identification forums allow members to submit an image of their plant, bug or bird for experienced gardeners to identify, often within just a few hours. The forums at Dave's Garden offer something for every type of gardener, and our subscribed members will confirm that the $19.95 annual subscription is a genuine bargain.
What features does DG offer?
- The PlantFiles is the world's largest collaboratively-developed database of plants, created by real gardeners from around the world. It is targeted toward serious gardeners and professionals, but is easy enough for anyone to use. Currently 238,275 plants are featured along with images and notes; more are added each day. Submissions are subject to peer-review, with errors corrected by a team of editors. PlantFiles is the fastest-growing feature of DG, and is responsible for attracting more than half of all new subscribers.
- Botanary is a botanical dictionary of 21,269 plant names. It is part of PlantFiles, but can be accessed as a stand-alone feature, enabling readers to gain confidence when using botanical names and learn the meaning of their plant's names.
- The BugFiles is a large and growing database of insects, spiders, butterflies and moths. Members have added more than 5,000 bugs and critters, along with over 8,000 images, and more are added every day.
- The BirdFiles is our newest feature, and it immediately took flight, with over 1,500 birds listed, and over 2,500 images submitted by hundreds of backyard birding enthusiasts from around the world.
- The Garden Watchdog is a cross-referenced database of 8,062 gardening-related mail order companies. Users can seek out companies by specialty or location, read consumer comments and ratings, and add their own feedback on companies with which they've done business. Testifying to the fact that it is the most complete and authoritative gardener's buying guide in existence, Forbes magazine has given it the "Best of the Web" award since 2003. Tens of thousands of gardeners rely exclusively on the Watchdog to help them learn about a company before they place an order.
- PlantScout combines information from PlantFiles and the Garden Watchdog in an easy-to-use plant-finder tool. Gardeners can locate mail order sources for specific plants, seeds or bulbs by common or botanical names. Top-rated mail-order companies from around the world list their catalog offerings in PlantScout, offering customers easy access to reputable sources for all their plant purchases.
- The Garden Bookworm is designed with book-loving gardeners in mind. Users can browse among [GBWMASTER] gardening books for a new addition to their own bookshelf or a gift for another special gardener, and write reviews of their favorite garden books.
- The Go Gardening feature contains over 20,000 listings for every possible type of gardening adventure you can imagine. From your local tree farms and florists, to Farmers' Markets and Community-Supported Agriculture, along with garden centers, parks, public gardens and pumpkin patches, Go Gardening has something for everyone and everywhere. Members can add photos and reviews of their favorite garden spots to visit, so before you plan your next trip, be sure to check out Go Gardening.
- Gardenology contains 3,507 gardening, farming and horticultural terms, plus definitions and pictures, contributed by members throughout the world. If you don't know a dibber from a dandelion weeder, you can quickly look them up here.
- Our free weekly newsletter provides readers with a week's worth of the newest articles, featured bloom photos, plus recaps of the weekly forum posts and latest additions to all our features. The weekly newsletter is a Monday morning must-read for over 63,000 gardeners each week.
- Personal gardening tools help gardeners get a handle on their gardening activities. We provide a free personal online Garden Diary/Blog and a separate Garden Journal for members to customize and record updates, photos, and reminders. For seed and plant traders, a personal Tradelist helps manage and display the plants and seeds they have or want. The Tradetracker helps manage trades from start to finish, providing reminders of what to send and allowing email correspondence. A Trading Primer gives advice and tips to new traders.
What are people saying about DG?
We've assembled a list of unsolicited testimonials provided by dozens of members. Reading through them, we think you'll see what makes Dave's Garden special and different from all the other gardening websites.
What's on the horizon for DG?
We're constantly seeking ways to enhance our members' experience within the garden, whether it's Dave's Garden or their own. In addition to keeping up with the exponential growth in membership, we regularly introduce new features or improve an existing ones. We invite you to stop by often to see what's growing in Dave's Garden!
Garden editors and writers are welcome to contact us for gardening article ideas, quotes, and other information.
Contact us via email