Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. We're extending the entry time until October 29th. Here's where you can enter

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Even if it's barking, it ain't always a dog..., 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Even if it's barking, it ain't always a dog...

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Even if it's barking, it ain't always a dog...
ViburnumValley wrote:
To answer the questions above more fully:

Those Kousa Dogwoods are from a variety of locations. If folks prefer, I can identify them and any of the images posted - or just leave you to drool like a big ol' Bloodhound awaiting your next meal.

Sweetgum (as well as some other species to come) can show pretty quirky corky twigs, and not that unusually. It helps to be in the business of looking at trees all the time to notice, but the above example is growing in a nice landscape outside Washington, DC - some of you may have heard of Brookside Gardens.

I also run across this trait in seedling Sweetgum trees growing in native situations around Louisville, as well as in nursery stock that are not clonal selections. But isn't that the point of this epistle? Look closer...

I don't think I have many images of striped bark maple species - but I'll look around. Zelkova serrata I do have - in spades. Take a peek...

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top