Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Which Asclepias do you plant??, 2 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Which Asclepias do you plant??

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Which Asclepias do you plant??
ViburnumValley wrote:
I\'m perceiving that we are having a normal year for butterflies in general, though I\'m sorrowfully weak on ID. The Valley is on 10 acres in rural Scott County KY, and not particularly heavily managed - though planted with lots of flowering/fruiting woody plants. Many native herbaceous species have established (returned/revived) with less and no mowing. Lots (thousands) of Asclepias syriaca are native here, and 3-4 minor species that are confusing for me to ID.

Lots of the smaller orange ones like you\'ve shown, and normal amounts of yellow and black swallowtails. Plain white ones that like to gather moisture/minerals from the gravel driveway, and pale blue ones are the others I find normal to see flitting about.

This is the time of year Bottlebrush Buckeye are swarming with all kinds of stuff, and it would be where to check the pulse of pollinator (and other winged) populations. I\'ve attached images of past Junes and an array of visitors.

UNFORTUNATELY, due to total knee replacement surgery last Monday, I have a bit of a hitch in my giddyup. I can look off the deck to see what\'s going on, but can\'t yet get out/about in the yard for close observations.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top