Plant Identification: CLOSED: 8\' tall shrub in Richmond, VA, 3 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: CLOSED: 8\' tall shrub in Richmond, VA

Forum: Plant Identification

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: 8' tall shrub in Richmond, VA
hcmcdole wrote:
Kelly, it sure looks like Weigela to me. Not sure what cultivar it is.

I got mine from my parents\' neighbor across from them a few years back. The old guy died so I got some cuttings from his blooming bush close to the mailbox and gave half of those to my daughter. We lost all the cuttings that year so I get some cuttings the next time we visit (they are in TN). It took two years for this one to bloom - shoot, it was Forsythia! Guess the bark and leaves look similar. So after it bloomed I tried once more and made sure I got the correct bush and got those to root and thrive. A year later a man bought the house from the bank cheap and gutted it for a remodel. He had his landscape crew cut almost everything in the yard including the Weigela and Forsythia. I also have two variegated ones which add a little more pizzazz!

Here is my Weigela from cuttings (March 30) and then the variegated one shot today. The other variegated one is in too deep of shade to bloom well so I need to remedy that one day.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top