Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening: Peace lily - should I be worried?, 1 by hcmcdole

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: Peace lily - should I be worried?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Peace lily - should I be worried?
hcmcdole wrote:
A little history first. All my peace lilies (3) are gifts to the family at a funeral. My parents didn’t want to take care of some of them so I took them off their hands. One was from my grandmother (1985), my brother (1997), and my dad (2015). The first two were soon neglected after many years and I thought they were dead (failed to water and then over-watered) so I threw them on the compost heap. The next spring my wife wanted me to move the compost heap/pile which I did. Within a foot or so I saw a sprig of green so I dug carefully to find out what it was – it was one of the peace lilies(my grandmother’s or brother’s). Put it aside and continue digging and loading into the wheelbarrow. Found another green sprig – yep, the other peace lily. Potted both up and still have both of them today. I think the year must’ve been 2007 when I threw them on the compost pile – the year before we got our second dog Duke as I remember that little booger digging a tunnel into the heap (as this was a 2 or 3 day project to move the pile).

This was May, 2008 We say his birth date was Valentine’s Day based on what we heard from the rescue group.

I repotted one of them this week after being in the same pot for 12 years. I never repot, never change the soil. I do add fresh soil to the surface if it looks somewhat depleted.

I finally repotted the smaller one of the two as I moved it outdoors for summer. Not the prettiest (but then I would never buy a peace lily since they are just a boring green leaf) but like you I do have some sentimental reasons to keep them.

I wished DG allowed more photos per post so I just have to select a few from the past and this week. Duke digging back in 2008, the peace lily with old leaves and burned leaves from growing into the shop light, roots, bigger pot and the pot it was constrained to for 12 years, and the groomed plant in its new container. PS - I did not rinse away the old \"dirt\" but just added soil to the bottom of the new pot and around the sides. I hope to take pictures of it later this summer.

PSS - the moisture control should be fine for a peace lily. This should give you more time between watering. I typically do not use it but will have a bag of it for thirsty plants (like colocasia and bog type plants)

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top