Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. We're extending the entry time until October 29th. Here's where you can enter

Plant Identification: CLOSED: Which viburnum?, 3 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: CLOSED: Which viburnum?

Forum: Plant Identification

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of CLOSED: Which viburnum?
ViburnumValley wrote:
I\'m glad you connected with Gary & Susan. They are salt of the earth quality people, generous to a fault, and a font of knowledge and experience with Viburnum.

I\'m sorry VLB is a scourge in your world. I hope it stays up there in the northern tier of states.

It sounds like you have a great handful of Viburnum sp. to enjoy. Please keep introducing them to your neighbors, clients, and public landscapes up there.

I too really have enjoyed Viburnum sargentii \'Chiquita\'. V. prunifolium is native here, but I\'ve added 8-10 named varieties as I\'ve come across them. No limited fruit set due to lack of cross pollination here. 25+ selections of V. dentatum means tremendous availability of midsummer fruit for as many birds that want to forage - and optimum volunteer establishment of seedlings to displace unwanted Honeysuckle and Multiflora Rose pests.

If you ever find opportunity for small trees, V. rufidulum and clones, as well as V. sieboldii and clones, would make welcome additions to Chicagoland landscapes.

***Viburnum sargentii \'Chiquita\' - planted as 1G in 2007, pictured 2010

***Viburnum prunifolium \'Dark Tower\' - planted at 1.5\" caliper in 2014

***Viburnum dentatum - 65 plants today, including all Chicagoland and Klehm selections planted in 2005

***V. rufidulum \'Royal Guard\' - planted as 3G in 2000

***V. sieboldii \'Wavecrest\' - very reliable performer here and in northern IL

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top