Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Clematis - Could any one tell me which group it is in? Or even ID the plant if possible? Want to prune it ..., 2 by Orange349

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Orange349

Subject: Clematis - Could any one tell me which group it is in? Or even ID the plant if possible? Want to prune it ...

Forum: Plant Identification

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Clematis - Could any one tell me which group it is in? Or even ID the plant if possible? Want to prune it ...
Orange349 wrote:
I have this clematis. It has dark green distinctively shaped leaves, and when it flowers it is white. Unfortunately I don\'t have a picture of the flowers, but I think there were only one or two, large ones.

It is woody at the bottom, and then this year it has grown so, so long. I would estimate 20 feet if laid out straight? It has grown like a vine sideways and wrapped and knotted itself firmly around a rosemary bush, and then a mahonia tree, and is now outgrowing it, looking for something else.

The stems are a purple-ish colour.

I want to prune it, and put up a trellis for it, and encourage more flowers next year.

I would really appreciate if anyone could guess at least what group of clematis it is? Then I could know how to prune it and when. Even better if anyone knows the actual name of it.

The first picture is the woody stems.
The second picture shows the purple stems knotted and the leaves.
The third picture gives an idea of the length, growing up the mahonia tree.

Thank you very much.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top