Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. We're extending the entry time until October 29th. Here's where you can enter

Tropicals & Tender Perennials: Colocasia breeding 2006, 1 by bwilliams

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bwilliams

In reply to: Colocasia breeding 2006

Forum: Tropicals & Tender Perennials

Back to post
Photo of Colocasia breeding 2006
bwilliams wrote:
Well I have been working a lot on getting the seeds prepared and ready to grow. A few have started germinating already. I have added up what I have done so far. I have 45 trays with 72 cells in each tray and three seeds per cell. If all goes well and they all germinate and grow which I doubt but if they do I should have 9720 new Colocasias. One small detail is I am only half way done with my seed heads I am am thinking by the end of it I may be looking closer to 20,000 seedlings. I have been thinking about it already and if this happens I don't believe I will have enough space LOL. I may have to work with some friends on using land in a zone 8 or so to test them. These plants cannot be sold or given away. I am sure their are going to be some amazing plants in these batches. Hopefully many of them will be hardy in zone 5 or more. Hardiness was one of the main things I trying for in my breeding. Here is a picture of a few hundered seeds getting cleaned in a bowl.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top