Photo by Melody

Specialty Gardening: Morning Glories in the Cottage Garden? Let's see pics!, 1 by beckygardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright beckygardener

In reply to: Morning Glories in the Cottage Garden? Let's see pics!

Forum: Specialty Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Morning Glories in the Cottage Garden?  Let's see pics!
beckygardener wrote:
Morning Glories became my new garden plant addiction last summer. And I had a LOT of folks that enabled my new obsession on the Morning Glory (MG) Forum. :-)

I grow most of my vines in pots. My own experience with MGs is that Ipomoea nil vines like full to partial sun. They don't seem to be invasive at all in my yard. They do produce seeds, but not so many that I find volunteers growing everywhere. Ipomoea purpurea can tolerate partial shade. They do seem to reseed abundantly, so ya gotta watch them and grab the seed pods off the vine before they drop. I love Moonflower MGs, though they bloom at night. Nice fragrance, too! Not too bad on reseeding. I haven't grown Ipomoea tri-color yet. Must try that cultivar this year!

I mostly use pots that are big enough for 3 Bamboo stakes (6' or taller) which I make into a teepee. Tie them together near the top of the poles. This gives my vines something to grow up. My favorite potting mix is Moisture Control by MiracleGro and I also use Bloom Booster by MiracleGro to get them to bloom profusely. I fertilize them every 2-3 weeks. They are annuals. When they die I just start more from seeds! There are soooo many different cultivars of MGs in just about every color bloom you can imagine! Hence ... my reason for this addiction! LOL!

I also grow them along my backyard fence on trellises. They can cover a fence quickly and beautifully! They will grow up just about anything. The I. nils like warm summer weather. The I. purpurea seem to bloom better when the weather is cooler such as Spring or Fall.

And I have found that hummingbirds and some butterflies love these vines. I have watched hummers go up and down the vines nectaring from the blooms! It's so cute to watch!

Anyway, just some info and suggestions for those of you considering this vine in your gardens this year! :-) The only warning ... IT MAY BECOME A PLANT ADDICTION!!! LOL!

My garden style is cottage gardening. Here is a photo of my Purple Blizzard Morning Glory vines growing in my front garden bed. These were grown in a pot using the Bamboo teepee stakes!

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top