Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Nishiki Willow, Dappled Willow 'Hakuro Nishiki' (Salix integra), 1 by peachespickett

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright peachespickett

In reply to: Nishiki Willow, Dappled Willow 'Hakuro Nishiki' (Salix integra)

Forum: PlantFiles Pictures

Back to post
Photo of Nishiki Willow, Dappled Willow 'Hakuro Nishiki' (Salix integra)
peachespickett wrote:
The only difference is training. It tends to grow as a multi-stemmed shrub, but I cut out all but one upright branchlet, and once it got 3 or 4 feet tall I headed it back, so it would start branching. It grows very fast, though, so it didn't take long for it to start looking like this one. In winter I take hedge-shears to it, cutting all the branches back so it makes about a three foot around ball on top of the trunk, stimulating it to make that colorful new growth. I'm still pulling suckers from the base every couple weeks, but that will end eventually. This one gets full sun almost all day in summer, and is reputed to be more drought-tolerant than most willows. I have it in a lawn, on a slope where water drains fairly fast, and have had no problems other than it is so topheavy the constant winds and flooding this spring have tried to push it over, so I restaked it until it gets a few more roots to hold that top. I've read it can also be sheared regularly, like a hedge. Hope that helps you a little!