Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Zen_Man

In reply to: It can be fun to breed your own zinnias

Forum: Hybridizers

Back to post
Photo of It can be fun to breed your own zinnias
Zen_Man wrote:
StarLight,

"...but when I get to the part of the fridge that has dianthus seed, will let ya know what kinds I have. Maybe one of them will be something that will tickle your fancy to grow and work with."

I might have some suggestions for you to grow and possibly to cross pollinate, but I don't really have room here to diversify in my plant breeding. Zinnias will pretty much take up most of my growing space. I plan to grow a few tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants next year, but only a very few, and they will be part of a modest "Victory Garden". These economic times are so bad that Victory Gardens are coming back, and it will even be acceptable to grow veggies in your front yard.

I guess it will be a bit "topsy turvy" to have veggies in the front yard and flowers in the back yard, but my zinnia breeding can involve some things that aren't exactly ornamental. For example, to protect my chosen breeders, I enclose them in strong half-height tomato cages. I refer to these as zinnia cages. I am attaching a picture of a zinnia cage. Caged zinnias would look a bit odd in the front yard. And, as I mentioned in a message somewhere above, I also install "hair nets" on my breeder blooms. Hence the topsy turvy veggies in front and flowers in back.

MM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top