Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. You have until October 22nd to submit your images. Here's where you can enter

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Looks overcast again this morning, but no matter as I can’t do anything among the brom’s today anyway as I have to go to a very boring committee meeting of the Brom Society where we have to re-structure the society's constitution, so that should be bloody fun, I don’t think!

Colleen – I don’t know about “little elves”, I sometimes think I need half a dozen permanent employees! That bloke that came around to your place seems like a good example of the old saying, “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink”. The one thing I always find very annoying is when people come around (and don’t get me wrong, I like people to come around to chat about brom’s), but it’s when they ask all these questions and are obviously not listening to the answers and they’re asking the next question while you’re still answering the first one.

I had a lady come around once who looked at a Hallelujah that had been growing in light shade and been heavily fed to produce more pups. It had already flowered, and its colour had changed to mainly green with the white spots due to the combination of extra nitrogen and the low light. I told her it was a Hallelujah, but the look she gave me said she clearly didn’t believe what I’d said. She just said how much she liked it and offered to buy it for $20. Normally she could have had it for $5 but because of her” know-all” and over bearing nature I took the $20 instead; and didn’t even feel guilty!

Your plants are looking great; nice colour and nice and healthy. How's the mesh wall going, do you have it full yet?

Bree – Sorry I didn’t acknowledge they were your seedlings yesterday, but I misread the post and thought they were Colleens. What was the name of the plant the seed came from? I'm sure you'll find that little seed growing exercise very interesting and the best thing is the anticipitation of what you'll get when they eventually mature

Wendy – I think your “Brom Tree” looks great; there’s nothing looks as good as brom’s growing naturally. A friend of mine (in fact the young bloke I said gave the presentation at our brom meeting) had a Phillipo-Corbergii mounted in a tall tree and it looked magnificent last year with five large flower spikes on it. Unfortunately, the weight of the plant and all of its pups broke the branch, so now it’s back to square one and he has to start all over again.

Nothing else to report so I’ll finish with some pic’s.

All the best, Nev.

Just a few pic's of the Neo's in the shade house

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top