Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. We're extending the entry time until October 29th. Here's where you can enter

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012, 1 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012
works4me wrote:
Hi, me again ….

You all have such beautiful broms … I am so envious. From reading the forum, it seems most of you grow from seed, not sure I have the patience for that. I did it a few times with agave and aloe seed without much success and those that did grow were soooo slow. More than a year after they germinated they were still so tiny. Then we went away for a couple of weeks and I lost most of them anyway.

Breeindy, you mention seed pods … I don't think I have ever seen one, wouldn’t even know where to look for them. Boy, do I have a lot to learn.

Nev, you have the most amazing collection …can I ask how long you have been collecting broms and a ball park estimate of how many you have? Interesting about your dog and the tapeworm but I think ours is just a guts. We have had him from 6-8 weeks old and always treated him 3 monthly with intestinal wormer (the one which includes tapeworm). But, he has just had his 7th birthday and is due for his annual vet check, booster shots and heartworm needle so I will ask the vet.

As for joining a Bromeliad Group, I would love to but have to work up a bit more courage. I know they are going to be lovely people but it’s still a bit confronting.

Colleen, I “hid” keys to the house a good while back somewhere on the back patio. Some time later when we locked ourselves out, I thought I knew where they were but couldn’t find them. Fortunately we had the remote to the garage door and access to a jigsaw and Michael cut a hole in the door. I later remembered moving them to a “better” place … wherever that might be. Never did find them. We now have a new door, new locks and I “think” I know where to look for the spare key.

Thanks Wendy for your welcome and the helpful information on ceramic pots. Are your broms attached to a Melaleuca … they look great.

We removed the old cloth from the shadehouse over the weekend. It is still in pretty good condition considering it has been there for around 18 years. A few holes where sticks falling from the gums have gone thru it but otherwise it was just all the ? lichens / fungal thingies growing on it. I guess the same thing will happen to the new stuff. I will attach a photo of the stuff growing on it and if anyone has any ideas how to keep them away I would be really grateful.

Also many of my broms are without names. Don’t want to wear out my welcome but maybe I could take a photo sometime of one or two of them and ask for identification ???

I’ll sign off now … sorry for the looong posts.

Shirley

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top