Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. We're extending the entry time until October 29th. Here's where you can enter

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts February 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Karen I love your little neos but your red one doesn't really look like my little rosita which I have attached a pic of. I checked FCBS though and the one there looks more red than mine so maybe I have the wrongly named one.

Shirley we welcome new members so we can mentor them and hopefully stop you from making the mistakes we made. One big mistake we made when we first started really collecting was to make a really beautiful shadecloth structure and new gardens beneath to display our first group of expensive purchases. All our best plants went in there to display at their best. For 6 months or so they grew so well and looked amazing then the first really heavy period of rain came and after weeks of it our broms started rotting off in the middle. I asked someone if the neo flowers sent the water rotten if they sat in deep water for too long. After lots of questioning it was revealed that the timber structure my husband had build for the shadecloth was the culprit poisoning the broms below. If there had been a forum like this around then a single photo of our structure would have had all sorts of advice about pulling it down and/or building it differently. So hopefully we can keep new members from making big mistakes like we all probably did without that advice. If we can help you identify your broms we will be happy too.

Karen I like your new billbergia. I got to pick some billbergias from Genny's special area a while back. These were the broms kept for breeding purposes for seedlings. She has some amazing ones for hybridising. I love to go down there to see what we can find. there is always something amazing there to discover.

Nev and Tash your parcels are on the way so I hope you enjoy your presents when you open the box.

Nev you have so much colour in your shadehouse. well done. I must take some more pics of the thunderbird x self seedlings you sent to me. They are potted up into big pots and are happily growing in a totem so getting very big and red.

I'm taking Jen out to see my brothers collection of broms tomorrow. He works interstate in mining and only comes home for a week or two at a time so he has a lot of work each time he comes home to keep the broms going. We have had to go out to help him at times to dead leaf them and spray for scale etc. Hopefully Jen will find something she will want to take home with her.

wendy

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top