Photo by Melody
Announcements
The voting is over in the Pixel County Fair Here is where you can see the winners.

Beginner Gardening: What plants will live in both shade and sun?, 2 by JudyinGA

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JudyinGA

In reply to: What plants will live in both shade and sun?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What plants will live in both shade and sun?
JudyinGA wrote:
Whataday, I have the same problem, although my house faces almost due west. I wanted something that would "balance" but plants/flowers/shrubs that would grow in sun to balance (in color and size) the ones that would grow in shade. One side of the house is shaded by huge sweetgum trees, a water oak and a pine tree. The other is in full blazing sun, especially in the afternoon. I planted Knockout roses on the sunny side, with daisies and coneflowers. I am not done yet but will add more in front of the roses, even some annuals, to make it a perennial cottage garden.

On the other side, which is in full shade most of the day, I have camellia sansaquas next to the house (red blooms in the fall), with Hino azaleas (hot pink ... bloom in early spring) in front of those, and hostas in front of those. I also planted Japanese painted ferns but they didn't make it. On the end, I have astilbes, but they aren't doing as well as I'd hoped. I'm going to fill in with impatiens and have purchased a Japanese maple to go under the sweetgum tree. Sweetgums are awfully messy but they give me the shade I need. The balls and leaves blow off fairly easily in the spring with a leaf blower, leaving the pine straw mulch pretty much untouched.

I lost a whole season last year due to health problems and I'm trying hard to catch up and complete what I started two years ago.

The first photo is of the roses blooming on the sunny side this year (mid-April), the second photo is the other side (shady) bed when I first planted it two years ago. it has been so neglected I'm ashamed to take a pic this year. Will send one after I have a chance to work on it. LOL. Some of the hostas are now HUGE.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top