Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. You have until October 22nd to submit your images. Here's where you can enter

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Heart of Winter Brugmansia 2013, 1 by mavrice

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mavrice

In reply to: Heart of Winter Brugmansia 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Heart of Winter Brugmansia 2013
mavrice wrote:
In 2009 I was contemplating retirement and intending to attempt some hybridising of brugmansias. I had always had knightii in any home I had owned and I had been collecting them for more than a decade. I was apprehensive in terms of sight and unsteady hands but decided to start by cross pollinating any that blossomed, just to see if it would be effective.

I had Aurea for some time and in this climate it flowers all year. The first to flower was Frosted Pink, and I did about ten pollinations.

A few weeks later I noticed pods forming under the labels on the twigs.

Eventually there were three pods when they became dry.

I grew out all the seeds that germinated, about 50.

The parent plants are in pics 1 & 2,

The first to flower is in pic 3. About 6 months after being potted on from the seed pad.

About half flowered in that autumn and the others flowered in the next spring when planted in the paddock. There was no variation except that some plants were more vigorous than others. They all had the same parents but not out of the same pod.

I selected the most vigorous and named it S1.

In 2009 I was contemplating retirement and intending to attempt some hybridising of brugmansias. I had always had knightii in any home I had owned and I had been collecting them for more than a decade. I was apprehensive in terms of sight and unsteady hands but decided to start by cross pollinating any that blossomed, just to see if it would be effective.

I had Aurea for some time and in this climate it flowers all year. The first to flower was Frosted Pink, and I did about ten pollinations.

The first to flower is in pic 3. About 6 months after being potted on from the seed pad.

About half flowered in that autumn and the others flowered in the next spring when planted in the paddock. There was no variation except that some plants were more vigorous than others. They all had the same parents but not out of the same pod.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top