Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. You have until October 22nd to submit your images. Here's where you can enter

Perennials: How do I deadhead perennial dianthus?, 4 by warriorswisdomkathy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright warriorswisdomkathy

In reply to: How do I deadhead perennial dianthus?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of How do I deadhead perennial dianthus?
warriorswisdomkathy wrote:
Las, which dianthus do you have????? That will depend on whether to cut back to basil foliage or just deadhead. If only a spring bloomer...yes cut back to basil foliage. If an all summer bloomer deadhead to a joint for further bloom development.... If it's only an annual, definately clip it back, it should rebloom til frost.

Pix 1 is D. grationopolitanus or Cheddar Pinks, these only bloom lt. spring to e. summer, so cutting all the stem off is good and cleans up the plant making it look less ratty....
Pix 2 is D. x Loveliness(with Geranium Rozanne), an all summer bloomer, I either pinch or clip off the bloom for further development of blooms thru the whole summer.
Pix 3 is D. deltoides Zing, another only lt. spring bloomer, this one does reseed so I usually allow them to go to seed as to increase my patch....
Pix 4 is D. ?, took pix at a garden tour but this is another type that can bloom the whole season, so just nip of spent buds...and watch for further blooms thru the summer...

If it happens to be a continuous bloomer and you don't deadhead, usually the plant will cease prducing further blooms as it's spending it's energy developing seed. Hope that helps.. Kathy

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top