Photo by Melody

Site Help: Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum!, 1 by onyxx65

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright onyxx65

In reply to: Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum!

Forum: Site Help

Back to post
Photo of Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum!
onyxx65 wrote:
I found this little guy the other day just cruising along a piece of fallen branch I was going to pick up. He looks very similar to the regular "woolly caterpillars" you see this time of year in SW PA but those are almost always 2-toned...black & brown, some with more black or brown, etc.
This guy was roughly the same length as those are but he was much thinner in circumference & his color was kind of a light copper as opposed to the "brown" on the 2-toned ones. The color of his actual body was a lighter color as well.
Also, the commonly seen "woolly caterpillars" will curl up when disturbed, but this one didn't do that at all, even with all the moving around I did of him to get him to stay on the paper towel so I could take a pic! He just kept chugging along like a little train...and was fast too! I've never seen one move that fast in all my 40-plus years, and I'm an "outdoorsy" type!

I know the pic doesn't do it justice, but the light coppery color of it is what piqued my interest.
Hope someone knows something about this critter, as it's the 1st time I've ever seen one like it!
Thank you in advance!

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top