Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. You have until October 22nd to submit your images. Here's where you can enter

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA, 2 by Mantarey

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Mantarey

Subject: New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA
Mantarey wrote:
Last summer a friend of mine started her MW/Monarch venture in San Clemente. Before our backyard was 'under construction' late fall, I had spotted several monarchs flittering around. The yard is done *pool remodel* and I'm using one of my roof decks as a Monarch Nursery. My friend brought over on of her caterpillars a week ago - and he munched down a few leaves. I noticed that he would cruise off the pot down onto the carpet to poop, then come back up to eat. A caterpillar that was potty trained! I guess that is a trait these caterpillars have anyway. Two days ago it retreated to the rim of two pots and just hid, droppings from it's hiding place. The next day, it hung in J. Yesterday, I checked up on it at 4pm - Still in a J. Checked on it again at 7pm - chrysalis! The last pic is poop and skin garbage.

On another note; I took one of my MW plants *potted* down to the backyard a few days ago, now that the pool is done and have some landscaping going *including rare palms and fruiting bananas* wildlife is returning. A hummer here and there, bees, and a Morning Cloak comes by every day. But haven't seen any Monarchs yet. Although my husband claims he spotted a couple flittering through a week ago. BUT, I think I spotted eggs laid on the MW by the pool. Need to verify that.

Cheers from Dana Point, CA - Rey

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top