Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. We're extending the entry time until October 29th. Here's where you can enter

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA, 3 by Mantarey

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Mantarey

In reply to: New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA
Mantarey wrote:
I have 7 caterpillars that all appear healthy - two of them are chrysalis now, all from the plant I had placed by the pool. I was at the right place at the right time when one of them was changing. The other cats are still working on the plants.

Everyday I see a Monarch or two flutter through the yard at one time or another. I have 4 new cats *about a week old now* on a plant down by the pool -( last pic next to the green chair.)

The previous chrysalis did not make it. The friend that brought it over also reported that 7 of her chrysalis did not make it. They were all brown and gushy. OE? or something else? I removed the chrysalis once I determined it was not healthy, put it in a zip lock back and disposed of it.

And of course, I can report that that orange milkweed aphid is a nuisance and I have to continue to keep them at bay everyday on each plant. I'm currently using the 'squish' method.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top