Photo by Melody
Announcements
Our Annual Photo Contest is now open. We're extending the entry time until October 29th. Here's where you can enter

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA, 2 by Mantarey

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Mantarey

In reply to: New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of New attempt for Monarch way station in Dana Point, CA
Mantarey wrote:
Hello butterfly friends,

I do know about Monarchwatch and had familiarized myself with everything before I started this whole project. The one chrysalis that failed was on one plant and pot which I did remove from the cage before I moved the next group in from the pool area. I only had the cat for a day and a half before he did his transformation - which at the time I thought it to be too early. As a cat he just seemed to small. Anyway . . . onward.

I have a total of 7 chrysalis in the cage, and currently one cat. I have 3 chrysalis down by the pool hanging on palm fronds and a ti plant. 3 more little cats are finishing off the milkweed by the pool. I've was lucky to see two cats turn to chrysalis with my own eyes. wow. weird stuff. Two days ago I watched a cat make his attachment . .and timed his "J" position. So 24 hours later I was able to be around for the transformation.

All the chrysalis' appear to be in good health . . vibrant jade like shell with shiny gold oxygen holes. I can even see the black and orange markings beginning to show through on a few of them. I expect someone to eclose starting Thursday or Friday and then through the weekend they should all be out. the ones down by the pool are 10 days out.

Everyday a monarch or two come by the yard, but I can tell they are frustrated as the milkweed has already been spoken for - they're close to being all leafless branches.

Today I went to Home Depot over in Aliso Viejo - they just got a shipment of 'Tropical' milkweed in - huge ones. I didn't buy any . . . but a few monarchs were all over them laying eggs. I noticed a couple of bugs on them also - so hopefully there not treated with pesticide. I'd think they'd know better - that is the guy who runs the nursery. I didn't buy any - I want to check with the buyer there and make sure they're clear of pesticide.

Many of the local nurseries are getting fresh plants in - "Tropical" variety. I did buy two physocarpa milkweed which I plan to isolate for awhile , perhaps plant them in the front yard and keep them netted until later this summer. Monarchs are flying all over the place in Orange County right now - every where I go I see one. Either that, or they keep following me around -;)

BTW . .I name chrysalis' - based on where they plant themselves, or what I notice about them right before. So . .Red, decided to attach to a ti plant. The second one . .Ele . .is on my ptycosperma Elegans palm. The two in the cage are Fat Albert and Chunk - they were huge cats - still the biggest I've ever seen to this day.

On another note - I released lady bugs the other evening in the cage and in the yard. They definitely help.

ok . . that's it - sorry so long.

Happy 4th of July - I'll check in after a few eclose.

Cheers

-Rey

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Contact Us | Do Not Sell My Personal Information]

Back to the top