Photo by Melody

Mid-South Gardening: OutsidePlaying picture (Getting ready for spring planting)

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening

In reply to: Getting ready for spring planting

Forum: Mid-South Gardening

OutsidePlaying wrote:
Sorry for the late reply but as you probably know, Dave\'s was messed up for a couple of days last week. I prepared a long post but it wouldn\'t post, so it\'s gone now.
Anyway, Charlotte is right, you probably planted too early. Our recommended plant out date in north Alabama is around April 15. I have pushed it a little bit earlier on occasion if the weather reports are for no cooler weather or frost but you just have to know our spring weather can be fickle and change in a minute.

I don\'t plant corn anymore because the raccoons just steal it but a lot of people plant Silver Queen or a bi-color, I believe Peaches & Cream. For squash the plain old crook neck variety is good. You just need to watch out for squash bugs. I have tried ground cover to keep them from laying eggs under the plant. Just keep an eye out for the eggs under the leaves and spray them before they hatch. Hard to get rid of them. I don\'t grow much cantaloupe or watermelon because they take a lot of space so not much help there. DH doesn\'t eat the cantaloupe so I just go buy one when I need it at the farmers market.

I\'ll have to look up the small burpless cuke I grew last year. It was really good and a good producer.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America