Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening: joem789 picture (Looking for some advice on second year vegetable garden)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening

Subject: Looking for some advice on second year vegetable garden

Forum: Beginner Gardening

joem789 wrote:
Hi there!

Long time follower of Daves Garden and first time poster.

Thanks to all the great information on this website, I had a good first year for 2017. Not perfect. But successful. I really want 2018 to be a GREAT year! So I have a few concerns and questions. And hope that other members will give some advice.

In Fall 2016, I plowed a large area in my yard. Limed and tilled. Then put in a combo crop of Cereal Rye and Vetch. It grew a couple feet through the winter. Likely due to the fact that the ground lacked nutrients. The soil here is kinda sandy. We live in Southern KY near Cumberland. Lots of caves under us. Grounds drains very well. Anyway. When spring came around I mowed and tilled it all in.

I put in 6 beds last year. Each 100 x 8. But only planted in 3 of them. Plastic mulched over all 3. The first bed had a combination of corn, green beans, and tomatoes. The second had ALL sweet potatoes. The third had a combo of pumpkins and watermelons.

Everything grew well. Potatoes were monsters. I do this stuff by hand because I don\'t own a tractor. I just love working in a garden! lol.

Anyway. That\'s about as far as I have gotten. We had planned to move this year. But changed our minds. So I did not put in a cover crop late last year. But I am planning on planting in the same spot again. Im curious if the 3 unplanted beds are still abundant from the previously planted cover crop. What YOU would do in this case? I am guessing I could be dealing with some soil depletion in the other beds. . And I am also wondering if the effects of the lime will still be present, as it helps make things grow around here. I plan to do TWO beds of sweet potatoes this time. A full 100 ft row of green beans. Carrots. Tomatoes. Squash. And Corn.

I am not real saavy when it comes to crop rotation. So any help would be VERY much appreciated. And I promise to contribute around here any way I can. I AM STILL LEARNING! Thanks!

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America