Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening: kittriana picture (Looking for some advice on second year vegetable garden)

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening

In reply to: Looking for some advice on second year vegetable garden

Forum: Beginner Gardening

kittriana wrote:
First of all, ALWAYS check ph of your soil - easy enough test with kitchen ingredients can be found on youtube. When you use the rye and vetch ( they only grow a bit in winter then jump come Spring, so that was normal) as a 'green manure' everything they stored as they grew is tilled in for the use of the seeds you plant right then... none retained thru the year. Checking ph is what determines you lime every Spring and how much. I do not lime at all in my sand, tho I do use baking soda ( opposite of lime) on some plants.
Potatoes go in ground before St Pats day (dark or New of the moon) the day after that is the next qtr. (This year for you thats anywhere from March 5th to 17th) only I cant safely plant potatoes and for my area that was before Feb 15, chuckl.
Crop rotation is to keep plants in the solanum (tomatoes, eggplant, etc family ) from acquiring viruses they pass along. Corn too can get problems, and sometimes rotation is to fool the old bugs that laid dormant under the vegies waiting the next year. Sometimes each vegetable takes its own nutrients from the soil, but rotation allows that vege a new source ( say blackeyes dont use the same nutrients as tomatoes). I am NOT good with rotations as I dont have a real garden as I once did. Loss of dirt- are you tending raised beds? If you arent then tilling loses your topsoils anyway and dirt loss isnt a problem. These farmers that plant corn year after year in the same field arent providing the same table garden you are.
You might consider looking into a '3sisters' garden. Corn squash and bean, as each plant supports and nourishes or hides the other. Alternate trellis can be used for beans since old fashioned cornstalks were once 15' tall, chuckl. Luck with the garden!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2018 9:57 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America