Photo by Melody

Propagation: Seandor picture (What kind of soil?????)

Communities > Forums > Propagation

In reply to: What kind of soil?????

Forum: Propagation

Seandor wrote:
Yes - read Nickel and Dimed and was totally pi##ed off . . . I grew up on the other side of the tracks and the idea that someone could go "slumming" for several months, (all the while clearly understanding there was a nice condo and bankaccount, plus publishing royalties at the end) could possibly understand what that life is actually like beggars the imagination.

Until you have lived it, you have no idea. When you are there (as I was), you don't even know what questions to ask, much less the answers. The world of the working poor is a different planet than the one lived in by the middle class.

David and I made the "great escape" through dogged determination and hard work. But by-in-large, no one assisted, or guided, or anything. It was just assumed I should work as a waitress ( a job I loath!!!!!) and David should pump gas all our lives. We were able to escape because we both read - and reading leads you to understand there are other worlds - if you can only figure out how to get there.

As for Wal-Mart taking advantage of the poor - well, the reason there are 11 million illegal aliens in this country is because we ALL benefit from cheap labour. How many are prepared to pay more for veggies or other groceries? And overseas, people die every day working in appalling conditions so we can buy even more consumer goods, most of which will eventually end up in the dump. Imagine, people die so we can throw things away .. . . .
And it's not just Wal-mart selling these products - the price of the product often bears little relation to the labour costs and employment condtions. . . .

sorry about the rant . . . but really, as long as we limit our consumption to the basics (e.g. stuff for the garden!) and buy the very best quality of stuff, and then make it last a lifetime, we will improve the environment and are less likely to exploit others.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America