Photo by Melody

Tomatoes & Peppers: twiggybuds picture (Tomato Cuttings)

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes & Peppers

In reply to: Tomato Cuttings

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

twiggybuds wrote:
Karen I'm getting the impression that taste is very much dependent on soil and/or amendments. I added leaves, grass clippings, all the crop residue and the treasure from the chicken pen. I'm sure it had to have made some difference but my soil is almost pure sand, full of nematodes and so acidic that it will quickly turn green on the surface. I had to add lime and fert often to grow anything. If I used the soaker hose often enough to try to maintain steady moisture it leached the nutrients very rapidly. My answer was excessive fert and water, planting many extras and living with the BER.

I managed some good production of a wide range of vegs but I wouldn't want to garden like that now. I've realized that all that commercial fert was probably polluting my ground water and the nearby creek.

Now I garden in pots sitting in a plastic liner with 2" of water. It works like a combination raised bed/earth box. The constantly available water has cured the BER. I only need a little fert in small doses and what leaches out of the pots with the rain gets a second chance as the water is wicked back into the pots. Last year I grew Porter Improved and Rutgers Select with no disease problems. Someday I might try Celebrity again just to see what it can do under ideal conditions. This year my hybrids are all new to me, Sunmaster, Sunbeam and Heartland. I hope they produce at least as well as Celebrity because I want to fill all my jars. I'm also growing a bunch of paste types to try drying them.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America