Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Propagation: frausnow picture (Asking for your experiences?)

Communities > Forums > Propagation

In reply to: Asking for your experiences?

Forum: Propagation

frausnow wrote:
I save all my quart and gallon size milk jugs and went to Lowe's and purchased the cheapest potting soil I could find, mixed some compost and peat moss into it. I used a punch to make the drainage holes in the bottom, cut the jugs 3/4's of the way around, planted the seeds and sealed with duct tape. Been doing it that way for 4 years. Oh, I also stuck the plant tags in the soil so that half of it was in and half of the tag was outside out before I sealed with the duct tape. That way I could easily see what was in the jug. I used a #2 pencil and wrote the plant name on cut up mini blind slats. I've had around 70 jugs every year, but I'm really gonna downsize this year. It just got to be too time consuming to plant all the seedlings!

I've tried clear soda and juice bottles, but the bottoms are recessed, which makes it very difficult to remove the clump of soil with all the seedlings and keep it intact.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 7:23 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America