Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Peonies: fancyvan picture (Digging an old timer)

Communities > Forums > Peonies

Image Copyright fancyvan

Subject: Digging an old timer

Forum: Peonies

Photo of Digging an old timer
fancyvan wrote:
There is a home near me that has been sold and will be knocked down and a couple of new houses built. There are seberal old peonies there and it happened one day I met the son of the original owner. He told me his mother put the peonies in in the 1960's and gave me permission to dig. One was a gorgeous deep dark red so I wanted a piece. It was still blooming beautifully this year.
Last night a friend and I went over well armed to dig a tough old root. To our surprise the roots came out very easily in many pieceslk some partially broken up, others filled with what appeared to be dirt, one was still quite damp. There were a reasonable number of eyes on some of the pieces.
I emailed a peony expert today wth some pics.
She told me this was typical of a very old peony and if there were eyes I should clean out all the rot ( what I thought was dirt was rot inside the large roots) , soak in a 10% bleachj solution for about 10 minutes and plant normally.
So I have clean out as much as possible, soaked in water and letting dry so I can clean of more of the old rot, cut the broken ends so they are smooth and will find a spot of two to plant and see what happens.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America