Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Canadian Gardening: Lilypon picture (The joys of veggie gardening at a community plot)

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening

Image Copyright Lilypon

Subject: The joys of veggie gardening at a community plot

Forum: Canadian Gardening

Photo of The joys of veggie gardening at a community plot
Lilypon wrote:
Given that my yard is surrounded by mature trees and our farm has some deer, antelope, muskrats, gophers (their time re gophers on this earth won't be long), and a very, very confused and lost Moose veggies are best grown by me at our renamed Yarra Community Gardens plot: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/758228/ (will have to get back to that thread....I was gone for a long time) and http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/758131/

Now at that plot (exposed to sun from sun up to sun down btw :) there is an incredibly amazing collection of gardeners. I was tickled pink to find the wife of our Director of Health Services there. She's from South Africa and was growing new to me open pollinated variety of South African squash (they eat it as a veggie and find our habit of carving pumpkins and making pies from them strange). I was happy to tell her that, while I didn't grow much winter squash this year, I do have some recipes that aren't for pies (thanks to peeps at the recipe forum here). :D (naturally I didn't tell her about my Hallowe'en obsession) :S She graciously offered some of her leftover seeds (not carving type pumpkins btw) and I'm so looking forward to growing them next year (will also send a few to my gardening buddy in Georgia and another small sample to a fellow in Ontario......just in case the growing season here stinks and that way a new supply of seeds is pretty well guaranteed). Other new arrivals there are from Cambodia and Thailand (my heart sang meeting them as I love Thai food). Recipes and produce were happily shared. My favourite new arrival there however was a young and new to gardening fellow, just arrived from China and what a joy it was to help him and see him digging in the soil. Unfortunately this year wasn't a great year for melons or squash and his 25 pound melons, native to China, didn't have a hope (would still have been tricky had we had a great year ie being able to plant out in early May and a really great growing season). He however is still fascinated and excited to grow his own food, and has some shorter season melons and squash from China, so I know we will have the joy of his company again next year. I discovered most of the new immigrants loved the taste of my tomatoes esp Sweet Chelsea and Sweet Gold so will be starting plants for them next spring.

Sadly I didn't take very many pictures but here's a leaf of a weird eggplant I grew this year (boy it sure attracted lots of attention.....at a safe distance). ;)

So did anybody else grow many veggies this year (and given this was the summer that wasn't.... did you have much luck?) Pictures welcome and if I can find the few I thought to take I'll add them too.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2009 12:40 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America