Photo by Melody

Specialty Gardening: Chocolatemoose picture (Preparing for conainer display- help needed.)

Communities > Forums > Specialty Gardening

In reply to: Preparing for conainer display- help needed.

Forum: Specialty Gardening

Chocolatemoose wrote:
gemini_sage...In addition to the plants previously mentioned, I use the following consistantly in my shade beds and shade containers:

Bacopa~The pelleted seeds available now are pricey, but once they were a couple inches high last year, I separated each pelleted "bunch" into several individual plants. If started early enough, you can then take cuttings from those plants. From two packages of just a few seeds, I had more bacopa than I knew what to do with. SInce it's about $4.95 for a 4" pot up here, it was nice to have an abundance to work with.

Balsam~(Impatiens balsamina)...A great plant that is under-used and also easy to grow from seed

Mountain Garland...Gets kinda tall-sprawley, but nice in the right application

Browallia~Great for adding eye-popping blue to shady areas. The white seeds are harder to find, but are available. I think I saw one recently that is blue with a white eye. Two heights available and it works in baskets, too.

Fuschia...Self explanatory...upright or trailing...

Heliotrope...Start it early indoors from seed

Impatiens~Tempo series or Xtreme come in some super vibrant colors that would complement or contrast with your painted pots. Big blooms.

Nicotiana...Lots of options there, too...Tall or short bushy

Clematis...Mine do best in semi-shade

Caladiums...I grew them last year in containers though I was told they wouldn't work up here. Started them in the garage. Transplanted them into containers and while they weren't Florida size, but they were fine.

Pansies~Easy to move pots of them around to fill in spaces, add color where needed.

Hope this gives you at least an option or two more for color...

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America