Photo by Melody

Peonies: Oldgardenrose picture (Digging an old timer)

Communities > Forums > Peonies

Image Copyright Oldgardenrose

In reply to: Digging an old timer

Forum: Peonies

Photo of Digging an old timer
Oldgardenrose wrote:
This is a certified species P.tenuifolia from a highly respected peony grower. There are some longer, stringly roots with new eyes on them which are not completely visible in the pic. They are called stolons, as far as I can read, and the plant spreads as each eye on the stolons puts down new roots and possibly creates a new stolon. That is the overall explanation, subject to minor corrections, of the root system on the species P.tenuifolia. The one double red species I moved about 5 years ago had the tubers held together to the crown by stringy looking roots, much like small sweet potatoes. The one my wife tried to surprise me with a couple of years ago had the same type of roots. Sadly, she had no idea of what she was digging and chopped it with a shovel. A fifty year old heirloom destroyed but the thought was nice. Her grandmother had given it to her mother and I was to inherit it for preservation.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America