Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: busy_bee_or picture (Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar)

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

Image Copyright busy_bee_or

Subject: Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

Photo of Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar
busy_bee_or wrote:
I traded some plants and cuttings and received some nice passifloras. Apparantly there was an egg on one of the rooted P. caerulea leaves because I have been keeping them in the house and now have a caterpillar which I have identified as a Gulf Frittilary Butterfly caterpillar. I was worried that it would eat up all of my small rooted P. caerulea so I went out and bought a larger P. incarnata... LOL! So far it is really happy on its new vine and boy does it have an appetite! We have it in the house and are having fun watching it grow. My husband thinks that I'm nuts buying a plant for a caterpillar but there is no way that one caterpillar will eat all of the leaves... and then there is the bonus that I now have a hardy passiflora :) The only downside is that they are not native here so I don't think it will be able to reproduce.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America