Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

African Violets and Gesneriads: bsimpson1972 picture (Quarantine ?)

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads

In reply to: Quarantine ?

Forum: African Violets and Gesneriads

bsimpson1972 wrote:
I have found that, while not getting rid of mites and thrips, Neem Oil can be a wonderful and (almost) non-toxic way to control a small outbreak of aphids, mealy bugs or even mildew. I tend to (aside from quarantine and visual inspection) give plants that appear iffy or have a few blind passengers on board a good spray of Neem before putting them into a sweater box or similar enclosure for quarantine.

If you don't mind "chemical warfare", you can always apply some granules of Orthene or a similar systemic insecticide to the soil (follow instructions). That should get rid of almost everything.

I have to say that I have been quite successful with Neem and other less or non-toxic remedies and I prefer to keep it that way.

If you have healthy plants and keep your growing area clean and follow simple preventive measures like quarantine, chances are that you will never need the harsher chemicals.

Good growing!

Olaf

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America