Photo by Melody

Water Gardening: mothermole picture (Ponds, Pumps and Problems.......)

Communities > Forums > Water Gardening

Image Copyright mothermole

In reply to: Ponds, Pumps and Problems.......

Forum: Water Gardening

Photo of Ponds, Pumps and Problems.......
mothermole wrote:
Orange and white koi are well known to be the most aggressive eaters (so I am told from koi breeders) and they will grow the fastest and I have a few in my pond to back up that claim. My oldest fish is a white one (ogon) that is 2-3 years older than the rest of my fish. 1.5 years ago I bought some newborns from Petsmart (some have turned into amazing looking fish . . .surprisingly) and the orange and white colored koi have caught up to my ogon (actually surpassed her in both girth and length and I expect they will continue at this alarmingly fast rate as they are "dogs with fins at feeding time"). These fish are the only ones that will literally climb out of the pond to get stray food that washed out of the pond. It was so bizare to me in the beginning that I was so shocked but now it's no big deal. These fish are nearly 2 years old and are easily 18-22 inches in length and very very heavy to pull out with a net. They are also very wild in the net whereas my ogon is very calm and relaxed in the net.

FYI: my pond is approx. 5000 gallons with a bottom drain with aeration and a 30 foot waterfall. I attached a photo but couldn't see detail up close to know how old the koi were in the picture.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America