Photo by Melody

Propagation: GreeneLady picture (Question about heat mats.)

Communities > Forums > Propagation

In reply to: Question about heat mats.

Forum: Propagation

GreeneLady wrote:
I actually prefer soil cables instead of the heat mat because they are so much cheaper than a heat mat. I built a frame out of wood with some window screening stretched and stapled inside the frame. I then spread a thin layer of contractor grade (it's very course) sand on top of the screening, loop the cables on top of the first layer of sand, and then I put another layer of sand on top of the cables. The frame, sand, and cables sits atop of two sawhorses. I then sit my plantings in their flats or pots on top of the sand. This way water can drain away from the seedlings and I don't have to worry about them becoming waterlogged or getting over watered.

Some seeds like heirloom tomatoes must have bottom heat to prevent stretching spindly pants. However, some plants/seedlings like lettuce don't do as well with bottom source heat. It depends on what you are growning. I suggest doing a google search or here on DG to see if the the seeds you are trying to grow require bottom heat.

But yes, bottom heat works wonders on some plants.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America