Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Tropicals & Tender Perennials: SilkKnoll picture (Incense = Mosaic Virus ...... thank you Clare_A for the tip.)

Communities > Forums > Tropicals & Tender Perennials

Subject: Incense = Mosaic Virus ...... thank you Clare_A for the tip.

Forum: Tropicals & Tender Perennials

SilkKnoll wrote:
great. just great.

I suspected the yellow spots on my Incense were mosaic virus, but this year is the first time my three-year-old vines showed this symptom. My internet search turned up a comment on a PlantFiles picture by Clare_A that *all* Incense plants carried the virus and that "New Incense" was the only mosaic-free form.

@Clare_A: Thanks for the information. I read it and went directly outside to cut up, bag and trash my three Incense Passifloras together with their chopped-up trellises and the soil from their pots. I wore disposable vinyl gloves that went with them and soaked my pruners in Consan. I sprayed my hands and arms with Consan, too. The pots are in the bathtub waiting to be soaked in bleach.

I was going to sell one that was over 8'. A root section I potted last summer had three shoots coming up. The parent plant had several shoots that were pretty tall, too.

Oh well.

Anyone care to recommend [or share?] a healthy, virus free, equally dramatic and at least as strongly colored and as floriferous or more floriferous Passiflora to replace it?

Check my trade lists if you'd like to help me replace it with a trade.

It was my only Passiflora, though.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America