Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

Georgia Gardening: sterhill picture (What's planted?)

Communities > Forums > Georgia Gardening

In reply to: What's planted?

Forum: Georgia Gardening

sterhill wrote:
Normally I'd never have put tomatoes out before the first of May. But it was so hot here and they'd been being hardened off outside and and it kept being hot and I was potting them up and up in bigger and bigger pots and finally I said 'hey no more cold weather' and put them in the ground. Think that brought the cold weather back? It gets in the low 40s here but I've not seen it go under 40. Cold this morning. I raise the 4th of Julys from seed, under lights as I love that variety. They don't need much water, don't get blights, etc and produce early and stay late. They produce all summer. I think I would cry if they froze at this point!

I like that you are going to use them in the wedding feast! I usually plant enough to give away too and they are always appreciated. Our garden club plants a pretty big garden, on some community land, for the food bank here. You might have heard that 5 teenagers broke in and destroyed everything a few weeks ago. They caught them and Costco, God bless 'em, is going to provide the food bank produce we would have had until the garden is back up and running.

Brenda - I am pea green with envy for your greenhouse! That must be such a joy although I imagine it's hard not to get it too crowded.

I bought an artichoke plant at Lowe's. Anybody here ever grow them?

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America