Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: mcvansoest picture (Mystery Aloes )

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents

Image Copyright mcvansoest

In reply to: Mystery Aloes

Forum: Cacti and Succulents

Photo of Mystery Aloes
mcvansoest wrote:
Since we are on the subject of mystery Aloes, does anyone want to have a go at identifying this one? It looks like it has a lot of the characteristics of A. chabaudii, in terms of the flowers and the darkening of the leaves in the Fall/Winter, but of course A. chabaudii is not spotted/speckled and has somewhat larger teeth. I have not been able to find a matching speckled/spotted Aloe, so am suspecting some kind of hybrid, but I mostly have literature for the southern African Aloes, not the central and eastern ones, so I guess I have not exhausted the options that it is a true species. It has been a prolific bloomer, sometimes it has two to three generations of flowers over the winter/spring. This year it started blooming late November which is incredibly early (previous earliest pictures with blooms were late January/early February).
I got it in the winter of 2007 and it has steadily grown from 1 rosette to a nice clump of multiple rosettes with many different flower stalks and it has survived any freezes during that time quite well.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America