Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: greenhouse_gal picture (New to Growing Eggplants)

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening

In reply to: New to Growing Eggplants

Forum: Vegetable Gardening

greenhouse_gal wrote:
Seedfork, maybe that's the answer - totally squash-virgin soil! Gardadore, my tent is the large flat top with zippers on either side. I'll be interested in hearing how you make out with yours. We fastened ours down last year with stakes and also used bamboo poles for stability, but a windstorm forced a pole through the netting and we had to mend it. Remay didn't help the year I tried that; they still got in, especially where two lengths were connected, even though I doubled the fabric over and fastened it with clothespins.

For svbs I have found that silver plastic mulch makes a huge difference. That's why my main problem is now squash bugs. A friend suggested Lemon Squash as a variety that doesn't seem much affected by the bugs, so I'm trying that. I'm also planting fewer in a row so it's easier to monitor. If I didn't care whether my produce was organic or not I truly wouldn't bother! The first few years we lived here we had no problems at all, and then wham!

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America