Photo by Melody

Recipes: darius picture (What's for dinner? (Part 45))

Communities > Forums > Recipes

In reply to: What's for dinner? (Part 45)

Forum: Recipes

darius wrote:
Tam, as to the flavor of raw milk or cream... I suspect it's likely a matter of terroir.

My sister has eaten fast foods (and industrial foods from the grocery store) with their chemically engineered flavors for so many years that she now finds real food rather bland, even with condiments.

I've made mayo off and on for years but it doesn't keep long. I'm just beginning to learn to make my own condiments, mainly those that can be lacto-fermented so they keep longer. I just came across a recipe for lacto-fermented mayo, along with a ketchup recipe on the same site. Mustard is a no-brainer even with the wide variety of mustards one can make. Salad dressings may be more of a challenge, but I'm pretty content with EVOO and my homemade herb vinegars.

The chive blossom vinegar I made last month is wonderful, and the currently-steeping Provençal vinegar already makes me salivate just smelling it. It needs to steep another month. Making Raspberry vinegar will be next, assuming I get some raspberries from my canes this year... that bed is in great need of some TLC. A splash of raspberry vinegar on sautéed veggies is outstanding.

I haven't tasted the half gallon of champagne vinegar I just got from Katz in California but the smell is wonderful. It should make great vinegars, or even alone with EVOO on a salad.

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America