Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: olski picture (Smooth Mountain Prickly Pear, Indian Fig, Mission Cactus, Tuberous Prickly Pear)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures

Image Copyright olski

In reply to: Smooth Mountain Prickly Pear, Indian Fig, Mission Cactus, Tuberous Prickly Pear

Forum: PlantFiles Pictures

Photo of Smooth Mountain Prickly Pear, Indian Fig, Mission Cactus, Tuberous Prickly Pear
olski wrote:
Phytoplasma Opuntia infection?

Hello Xenomorf and you cactae experts. I have a problem and palmbob has helped so far. My prickly pear has the "cooties". I'm making light of it but I think I may have to destroy this 5 year old 6'x6' plant.

My Opuntia just started growing half moon pads, no fruit, prolific multiple buds at the same location. Also buds are starting in the middle of the pad. I also see these brown grasshoppers hanging out. Can someone educate me really quickly? My plant is 6 feet tall and has been normal for 5 years. Research says that this problem is spreading in Mexico and they call it "Planta Macho" or male plant (because it does not produce fruit). Studies show fear of spreading and serious impact on prickly pear crops and other species.

This page pretty much describes the problem:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8DssifW...

or search pdf title:

Detection of Phytoplasma on Indian Fig (Opuntia ficus-indica Mill)
in Mexico Central Region

Any advise or can you recommend where I should get advise. Help!!!

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America