Photo by Melody
It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

PlantFiles Pictures: Xenomorf picture (Smooth Mountain Prickly Pear, Indian Fig, Mission Cactus, Tuberous Prickly Pear)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures

In reply to: Smooth Mountain Prickly Pear, Indian Fig, Mission Cactus, Tuberous Prickly Pear

Forum: PlantFiles Pictures

Xenomorf wrote:
Are you growing these plants for the purpose of fruit? or to eat the edible pads? Or just to have in your garden/landscape? Or what?
I have never had this until this year on my Opuntia engelmannii v. subarmata. I considered the new growth that's infected a new Form, namely a Monstrose form. After all, that's what causes Cristate and Monstrose forms in plants is a virus that somehow affects the genetic code (I think).
If you don't want the mutated pads, then I would pluck them off. I don't think I would get rid of the whole plant "yet". See if that does the trick, and if it dosen't, then I would resort to more drastic measures next sprouting season (probably next spring).

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Hope for America